• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Blogging About Forteana In A Respectful Way

Kondoru

Beloved of Ra
(Mods; feel free to move if you feel this is not the right place)

I want to blog on local Forteana but in a scholarly way; there's too much junk online and I am trying to make an academic name for myself

Which does not mean I cant do Forteana!

What do you suggest? Any good examples?

‘Respectful’ is an unusual word to use in relation to Forteana if you ask me.
It suggests tactfully describing witnessing a nun bathing in a river.

Spoon-bending is nearer the mark.

I think a key consideration with 'respect' is how you are going to refer to people who are (or could be) a) liars, b) mentally ill and c) mistaken, and d) all the claims these various people make.

It's a fine line if you're talking about general Forteana. If you look at arguably the proto-blogger, The Heirophant, the tone has to be carefully judged - it's very easy to verge off into outright fan-lit or straight "making-fun-of" - whilst I'm fully aware that's usually what I do each issue, I take the proverbial out of products, not people per se: my jibes at Tsoukalos and Shatner are because they are part of that product and thus fair game.

To come back to The Heirophant his early incarnation hit the right note every time, whereas his later regeneration had a much more arch, snide and occasionally dismissive tone which didn't sit well with many readers.

Ultimately, it's a case of finding your niche, making it user friendly and then holding that line. So I guess the first thing you need to consider is if you're going broad- ie all Forteana - or narrowing it down, and where on the spectrum of belief/scepticism you broadly wish to sit.

I do spooky geology spookygeology.com - it's a science based view of weird nature.
It's the way I've always approached Forteana.
Do you mean things like ~ cosmic ray's being detected emanating from Antarctica?
Very Mysterious Geology?

I do spooky geology spookygeology.com - it's a science based view of weird nature.
It's the way I've always approached Forteana.
It is one way of approaching it but any study that gets nearer to an answer with solid results is surely ok.

Back