Bloody Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
I'd still love an 'ignore' button for threads I don't have much interest in (....not always politics). Is this still technically impossible?
If you are ignoring the person who started it, you don't see the entire thread (so I have heard) so it may work for some old ones started by people who no longer post?

Thanks also.

It's possibly the same sort of thing, but it irks me when people post crime news stories in the fortean forums which (to me at least) don't seem to have a fortean angle. Mostly they're just heinous or gross, like most of the ones in the 'beheading' topic.

Call me a fortean purist perhaps, but that's why I come here.
Sadly many beheading stories are mundane rather than mondo.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Thanks also.

It's possibly the same sort of thing, but it irks me when people post crime news stories in the fortean forums which (to me at least) don't seem to have a fortean angle. Mostly they're just heinous or gross, like most of the ones in the 'beheading' topic.

Call me a fortean purist perhaps, but that's why I come here.
That will be dealt with quickly if you are able to post a link in the Help with Re-organisation thread in Web Site Issues. I'm happy to move non-Fortean threads elsewhere, but I may not always agree.

As to ignores and opt-outs, Stu is looking into them.

rynner2

Great Old One
I'd still love an 'ignore' button for threads I don't have much interest in (....not always politics). Is this still technically impossible?
There are lots of threads I'm not interested in and ignore - as time goes on and even more stupid threads get added, the proportion must be approaching 50%...

So if there was an ignore button, I'd need to do a lot of clicking! And what good would it do me? Or anyone else, for that matter?! :twisted:

So if I never post on threads you like, then take it as an unwritten message that - erm - I'd better not post the rest of that thought, or the Mods will be on my back!

Quake42

Warrior Princess
There are lots of threads I'm not interested in and ignore - as time goes on and even more stupid threads get added, the proportion must be approaching 50%...

So if there was an ignore button, I'd need to do a lot of clicking! And what good would it do me? Or anyone else, for that matter?! :twisted:

So if I never post on threads you like, then take it as an unwritten message that - erm - I'd better not post the rest of that thought, or the Mods will be on my back!
Yeah. I don't see the point of an ignore function for threads. Just don't read the ones that don't interest you. It's not difficult.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
If threads managed to stay on topic, an ignore function might make more sense. As it stands now, I'd be loathe to employ an 'ignore' setting because I'd have no confidence in knowing exactly what I was thus blocking.

Another thing occurred to me ... With all the ongoing thread consolidation, I'm not sure what would happen with 'ignored' selections if the targeted thread were merged into one or more others. I suspect it would mean having to re-ignore the resultant thread, and this would in turn make the ignore function another target for griping.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Oh wow, thanks for that. If only I could have worked that out for myself. Cheers. :rolleyes:
If you like, I'm prepared to come round & rap you on the knuckles with a ruler if you start browsing a thread you don't want to. Of course I'd have to rely on your honesty in admitting it. There would naturally be a nominal charge for this service.

I feel this could be the ideal solution..

If you like, I'm prepared to come round & rap you on the knuckles with a ruler if you start browsing a thread you don't want to. Of course I'd have to rely on your honesty in admitting it. There would naturally be a nominal charge for this service.

I feel this could be the ideal solution..
You would make a good dominatrix.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
With all the ongoing thread consolidation, I'm not sure what would happen with 'ignored' selections if the targeted thread were merged into one or more others. I suspect it would mean having to re-ignore the resultant thread, and this would in turn make the ignore function another target for griping.
The vast majority of the merged threads were years old and inactive--it's unlikely to have affected much.

Edit:
Given that all moves and changes have been made, this thread is now locked. If absolutely necessary, future related issues may be posted on the 'Suggestions for Improvements' thread in Website Issues.

Last edited:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
From this day onwards, ANYONE who starts politicising a non-political thread without incredibly good justification will immediately be served with a yellow warning. This will be rigidly enforced.
This was written a long time ago yet--nice people as we generally are--not strictly enforced.

Please let this bump serve as notice that tolerance has been abused and exceeded. Further infractions will result in warnings and (if unheeded) bans.

Some members should look to their posting histories and note how little they contribute to Fortean topics relative to MAINSTREAM NEWS and CHAT.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Of course we are aware that the Brexit saga is still trundling on and that for some here the outcome could have direct consequences. We know too that the argument is extremely polarising and that many of you will be emotionally invested in it to a greater degree than you would in more quotidian political debates.

For these reasons, now more than ever, we are dead set on sequestering this board from the whole ill-tempered debate. For some time now, practically the only references to the subject that have been allowed to pass have been found on the Jokes & Humour thread, and even there we've filtered out the sneery point-scoring ones (remoaners vs nazis).

Please, a genuine please and not an exasperated huff, save us the potential conflict and refrain from posting images and articles connected to Brexit.

Unless a UFO lands in Barnier's backyard, Jeremy Corbyn is abducted by men in black, or Jacob Rees Mogg gives birth to a cryptid, we don't need to hear about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.