• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Blue Bar

Iamroachford

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
In 1994 while staying at my girlfriends house, I woke in the night and as it was the middle of summer, was about to get out of bed & get a drink from the kitchen downstairs.

My girlfriend at the time had a real thing about there having to be as little light as possible entering the room from the windows so she had a venetian blind at the window and a paid of heavy thick curtains covering it too. I can remember being able to discern a light coloured poster on the wall to my left and the light coloured pine chest of drawers on my right.

As I was looking around the room, I had to stop and figure out what I was seeing. At the end of the bed was a very faintly glowing blue bar shaped light. It wasnt glowing vibrantly, but it was definately giving off enough light for me to be able to see the pattern of the duvet covering the bed.

Now, I have never seen a ghost and the thought of Grays in my room at night strike the fear of God into me, but I really wasnt scared by this thing. I didnt wake my girlfriend as I was sure any movement may cause this thing to move, disappear or something. So I just sat and watched. There was no light coming in from the window at all.

And after what seemed like ages, It started to shrink. It was hard to tell it was moving at first but then you could definately tell it was getting smaller. It then disappeared.

Dont think it was Will 'o' the Wisp, but I do remember something in a publication in the 80's (The Unexplained) about an 'Electric Blue Bar'???? Any thoughts would be very welcome.

I see those all the time in other people's photos--the only odd thing is--only I can see them.

Don't know what they are-so I'm not help other than to just let you know tha you're not the only one who sees wierd shit.

Was there a digital clock in the room with red numerals? as this can cause such an effect, as your eyes adjust, it will gradually fade.

Errrrr...

Hey Pete,

If I am interpriting a clock radio facia as an elongated blue bar that shrinks and eventually disappears, then I believe I have problems!!!

No, I am relatively 99.99% sure it wasnt a clock radio. I can remember because the girlfriend had a cool voice activated clock, which meant that you could ask the clock to shut up in a morning and it would. Nice.

If my memory serves me right, this thing was about 6inch above the level of the bed and glowed more than shone. I am pretty sure that I wasnt dreaming as I remember doing a kind of reality check....hearing dog breathing next to the bed, the tick of the clock and cars in the distance.

Never seen it since though.

don't get mad at him just because he doesn't understand it only because hes never seen it.

chill out man.......Im not angry.

Your opinion on what it was???

Don't get angry fella.

It's interesting to get peoples opinions on what it may have been.

Thank's for the input.

youre welcome for the input--is my avatar scaring you off-making you think I'm angry?

I remember a similar account at the Tower of London, spotted by a warder near the Crown Jewels, but it was a red bar, just hovering vertically: heard it a while back, been Googling but no mention: anyone else remember hearing something similar?

Could have been one of the other Royal Palaces...

Yeah, maybe.

Does anyone remember the weekly or fortnightly 'Unexplained'? It was published once through the 80's and again in the 90's (I think). Like I said in a previous message, I am almost sure there was an article in one of those about something similar. I seem to remember an illustration of an old farmhouse or outhouse with a drystone wall beside it and hovering in the air was on of these bar thingies. That was blue.

Really really weird.

Re: Errrrr...

roachford said:
Hey Pete,

If I am interpriting a clock radio facia as an elongated blue bar that shrinks and eventually disappears, then I believe I have problems!!!

I wasn't suggesting you could mistake the clock for a blue bar, what I meant was that red light can leave an after immage on the retina which would appear blue in a dark room when you look away from the clock, but as you say there was no such clock in the room that cant be the answer.

orange ball of light

I saw a similar thing in my room at my mom's place a few years ago. I woke up one night to go to the bathroom. When I got back in my room and closed the door and was just about to get under the covers, I saw it on my desk.

It definitely wasn't the amber power saving light on my monitor because my monitor was off -- I thought it was that before I realized it was moving and I touched where the monitor light was (because I was still trying to convince myself that it WAS the little light from the monitor but trying to figure out why it was moving) and the light was definitely moving away from the monitor.

It moved at a slow, even pace. I was trying to figure out what it was and got RIGHT up to it -- it was about 2 inches from my face. I still couldn't make out what it was except that it was light. It moved from left to right about 3 inches, up about 1/8 of an inch, moved left about an inch or two, moved back down 1/8 of an inch and disappeared INTO itself -- I mean all the light it was giving off just sucked itself into the center and it vanished into nowhere.

Roach, although you have explained that the window was heavily covered, could it not have been light shinning through a gap at the top of the window? The space between the window frame and curtain/blind rod/pole? Although the bar appeared at the end of the bed the glass in the window could have obscured it's direction. You know, like the old torch, crystal and bending light trick? I thought of this as you said after a long while the bar begain to fade, perhaps dawn approaching or street lights turing off?
Just a few suggestions, not denying in any way what you saw. :)

Hey there,

The room used to be so dark that when you closed your eyes, it was as dark as when you opened them. It really was that dark.

And over the years I have returned to that possibility of a shard of light peeking through. The other thing that always comes to mind is that the only lights in the street were the orange sodium lights, so I would have asumed that if there was a compromise in the blinds and curtains, the light would have had a more orange/yellow tinge. Also, when it shrunk, it did so over the period of about 2-3 mins, otherwise I'd think of the morning approaching possibility.

I wish I had of tried to photograph it or something. Its also quite hard trying to get across the genuine oddity of what I saw. I tried to eliminate all the possibilities there and then. The fact that I am still puzzeled by it now only makes me think more?????

I'd still rilly like to hear from anyone who has copies of the 'Unexplained'. Sure there was something in there like this.

Re: Errrrr...

roachford said:
If my memory serves me right, this thing was about 6inch above the level of the bed and glowed more than shone.

This is probably a longshot, but did either of you have a mobile phone at the time?

I only ask because a couple of years ago I saw something similar in my bedroom in the middle of the night, and it baffled me until the next day, when I realised I'd left my phone switched on inside the pocket of a pair of linen trousers. It was on "silent" when someone called, and I must have woken up just after that, when the LCD display faded out. Like you, I saw a "glow" that disappeared.

I'm sure you'd have explored that possibility by now though. Like I said, longshot!

Stu Neville said:
I remember a similar account at the Tower of London, spotted by a warder near the Crown Jewels, but it was a red bar, just hovering vertically: heard it a while back, been Googling but no mention: anyone else remember hearing something similar?

I think I know the story you're referring to. Years ago I read a story (can't remember the source unfortunately) about a family, probably a warden and his family, who lived in the Tower of London. They were sitting having dinner one night when they spotted a bar of light-I rememeber it described as blue-that appeared over the table and slowly moved around the room while rotating. I think this was during the 18th or 19th Century. As the bar thing moved behind the wife she cried out and hunched over as if it had hurt her. I think it either then disapeared or went through a wall. Sorry about the vagueness of this story. :(

Yes! It was blue, now you mention it: I remember the wife being hurt by it too.

Where did I read it? I'm sure it was one of those 99p paperbacks with no discernable author and cheap drawings. I used to have hundreds of them, but they all went in a wifely book pogrom some years ago (along with my Unexplained collection, mutter mutter...)

Stu Neville said:

Yes, I can remember reading about that, Stu. It was definitely in the Tower, but I thought it was seen in the warder's residence. I'm sure I have it in a book somewhere, but I'm not going to look tonight, I promised myself an early night!!

Carole

Only just found this thread.

Roachford - I remembered seeing that picture in The Unexplained too, so I had a look. Seeing as it has 13 volumes and an almost useless 'index', I was quite surprised to find it within about five minutes! I've scanned the picture and attached it to this post.

It appears in Kevin McClure's piece about the Egryn Lights, which you can read more about here -

magonia.demon.co.uk/abwatch/stars/stars1.html
Link is dead. The entry point for this multi-page essay can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20020602034026/http://www.magonia.demon.co.uk/abwatch/stars/stars1.html

This is what a Daily Mirror reporter (one of the witnesses) wrote of what he saw:

A bar of light quite four feet wide, and of the most brilliant blue. It blazed out at me from the roadway, a few yards from the chapel. For half a moment, it lay across the road, and then extended itself up the wall on either side. It did not rise above the walls. As I stared, fascinated, a kind of quivering radiance flashed with lightning speed from one end of the bar to the other, and the whole thing disappeared.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the encounter with a similar object in the Tower of London, I remember reading about that in a letter to FT a few year's ago. So I dug that out as well, and here it is -

Tower's Terrifying Tube

I have recently become intrigued by an apparition, reported as occurring in October 1817, which - in spite of being included in two true ghost tale anthologies (John Harries, The Ghost Hunter's Road, 1968 and J A Brooks, Ghosts of London, 1982) appears to be a very early attempted alien abduction. At any rate, it involved a hovering prehensile object of extraordinary appearance. The venue is the Jewel House at the Tower of London, the narrator the distinguished Keeper of the Crown Jewels, Edward Lenthal Swifte. After leaving office, he felt able to report his experience in Notes & Queries (1860) as follows (somewhat abbreviated):

"In 1814 I was appointed Keeper of the Crown Jewels in the Tower, where I resided with my family till my retirement in 1852. One Saturday night in October 1817, about the 'witching hour', I was at supper with my wife, her sisters, and our little boy, in the sitting-room of the Jewel House... I had offered a glass of wine and water to my wife, when, on putting it to her lips, she paused, and exclaimed 'Good God, what is that?' I looked up and saw a cylindrical figure, like a glass-tube, seemingly about the thickness of my arm, and hovering between the ceiling and the table; its contents appeared to be a dense fluid, white and pale azure, like to the gathering of a summer cloud, and incessantly mingling within the cylinder. This lasted about two minutes, when it began to move... Passing behind my wife, it paused for a moment over her right shoulder. Instantly she crouched down, and with both hands covering her shoulder, she shrieked out, 'Oh Christ! It has seized me!' Even now, while writing, I feel the fresh horror of that moment. I caught up my chair, struck at the wainscot behind her, rushed upstairs to the other children's room, and told the terrified nurse what I had seen."

Nick Warren Greenford, Middlesex

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, thats it...

Man, the goose pimples I have right now......

That is exactly the picture I was thinking of. Thankyou so much dude. I owe you. That is the nearest thing to what I saw that night. I havent read the full description of the Egryn Light as I am about to go and see Episode II of SW. But as soon as I get back I am going to print it off and give it a good reading through. Just seeing that picture again has brought back even more little bits of memory.

I can recall a slight blue hue on the bed, apparently from the light?? God, its so weird.

Post again later y'all.

I'll bump this interesting thread. Am struck that something may have been defracting light (from what source i know not) and roachford may only have been in a position to see the blue/purple end of the spectrum. Interesting stuff. Anyone lese got any ideas?

Refraction...

Didnt expect to see this subject up here!! I guess it could be, but from what I can remember the room was pretty dark at the time....I seem to remember the light it gave off, lit up the bed below it, which leads me to think, if it was refracting light from another source, would the source or its eminating light not also be visible?? I'm stumped on this one. But yeah, maybe anyone else has new ideas?

Hi this is the first time that I've posted on this MB. The Jewel house story has always stuck in my mind, although I've only seen it in that FT letter mentioned. If I was a UFO/time travel believer I would be trotting this out as evidence all the time, so its strange that its not more widely discussed. Unless its a known hoax?
I just love that description
a cylindrical figure, like a glass-tube, seemingly about the thickness of my arm, and hovering between the ceiling and the table; its contents appeared to be a dense fluid, white and pale azure, like to the gathering of a summer cloud, and incessantly mingling within the cylinder.

Does anyone know more about it , It just seems out of any frameof reference of the 1800's.

Camera?

Yes, well, this is going to seem more than a bit odd. But, I've been reading these incidents of lights appearing in rooms at night, and I've had an experience with something very much like that, so I'm wondering whether these idiots things might be cameras from elsewhere (like from another dimension, that is).

Told you it would be odd.

could an orange street light outside de difracted through a minute gap in the curtains into a spectrum that just happend to cast the blue visably where you wherelooking.

i seem to remember an experiment at school where alight was placed next to a slot in a piece of paper and it produced a spectrum like a lens.

on the other hand i woke up the other night and thought i saw lightening. i went to the window an there was nothing. again lightening. but now storm. i then watched the flash for over an hours noticing that it never happenmed when i looked out of the window.

then i realised that my wifes mobile was flashing a blue led whilst on charge.

Re: Camera?

Elisheva, I'm really confused. What do you mean by "idiots things?" :confused:

Back