• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Blue Bell Hill

Thanks Cal and Yithian. The recommended ambience to read it is by yourself by dim torchlight in a country lay-by in a thunderstorm. Hope you enjoy!

*Sudden knock on the window*

Excuse me, Sir--is this your vehicle?

*Slow sigh of relief*

I took a group of work colleagues on a walking tour of BBH a few years ago. I recommended all wear hi-viz jackets as part of the route was along very dark lanes. Now, there is cul-de-sac strip of road that used to be part of the Maidstone-Chatham Road before the construction of the A229 dual carriageway. Nowadays it is a little frequented backwater - or so we thought. Picture this: on emerging onto this strip from the footpath that leads into the road at its north end - 8-10 people, all in hi-viz and carrying torches - we were confronted by several parked and steamed-up cars, and a man and a woman standing face to face in front of the bonnet of one, who simply froze as if caught in headlights (which in a sense they were). I simply said 'Evening' as we strolled by. Neither answered. I'm certain they thought it was a police raid, as it turned out that this section had become popular as discreet spot with Kent's 'dogging' community. I guess we put paid to that sense of seclusion that night as we haven't encountered anyone there since! Just goes to show that ghosts may not be the only unusual sighting you may have late at night at BBH or at similar locations.

Yes, I've not been around the place for several years, but, yes, at the time that area and some of the side roads around Detling Hill were 'popular'.

I had an awkward experience with encountering steamy windows while asking for directions.

As for dogging: doesn't do it for me personally, but it could be worse--can't even imagine getting the old chap up and on duty in a public convenience.

Last edited:
With permission of Hermes/Sean Tudor, here is a preview of his book:

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 23.20.17.png Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 23.19.50.png Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 23.05.11.png Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 23.05.22.png Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 23.05.32.png Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 23.05.42.png Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 23.05.51.png

i have also purchased your book but unfortunately cannot read it yet... its a christmas present for my wife so i will have to wait a while yet...oh well...

I have often wondered about the ‘researcher effect’ regarding reports of paranormal activity in a specific location. By this I mean a scenario whereby there are a flurry of paranormal events that make the local media, a researcher such as Sean - or, for example, Nick Redfern (Cannock Chase) - takes up the lead, and by working with local media sources is able to draw out further witnesses to existing and new happenings. However, if no researcher gets involved, the happenings soon fade from the public consciousness.

If this is the case, then there could be a lot more going on out there ghost-wise than we know about, its just that witnesses are reluctant to come forward without a little reassurance and/or encouragement.

i have also purchased your book but unfortunately cannot read it yet... its a christmas present for my wife so i will have to wait a while yet...oh well...

Thanks plastic wiganer. Christmas is a time for ghosts. Hope you enjoy it and sleep well afterwards!

I have often wondered about the ‘researcher effect’ regarding reports of paranormal activity in a specific location. By this I mean a scenario whereby there are a flurry of paranormal events that make the local media, a researcher such as Sean - or, for example, Nick Redfern (Cannock Chase) - takes up the lead, and by working with local media sources is able to draw out further witnesses to existing and new happenings. However, if no researcher gets involved, the happenings soon fade from the public consciousness.

If this is the case, then there could be a lot more going on out there ghost-wise than we know about, its just that witnesses are reluctant to come forward without a little reassurance and/or encouragement.

I tend to agree. BBH had lapsed into occasional anecdotes when I really picked up it up again at the start of 1992. The following November it all kicked off again with coach driver Ian Sharpe's dramatic and much publicised encounter. I have considered this effect - quite obviously in that one report will often lead to another (the present trend of alleged sexual harassment cases in the media offer a topical example) - but also that the spotlight of conscious attention may seem to trigger such event without any direct external influence such as press involvement, but merely as a consequence of one or more minds keenly focused on it. All kinds of thoughts occur in this area, from tulpas to Jungian ideas of the reflective nature of archetypes and the collective unconscious (which I was led to explore) and the double-slit experiment of quantum physics, whereby the act of observation appears to collapse the probability field into one outcome. I also found the 'research angel' aspect come into effect during my own researches. The boundaries certainly become blurred between the conscious and unconscious factors in many paranormal cases, which renders them paradoxical to the conscious mind, but appears to simply be of their nature.

More Bluebell Hill weirdness.

Eerie Blue Bell Hill picture

One eagle-eyed driver has spotted what looks like a ghostly figure on Blue Bell Hill amid snow chaos last night.

Hundreds of cars had to be abandoned on Blue Bell Hill and Detling Hill as snow lashed the north of Kent, just when people thought the county had escaped the worst.

The picture shows cars at a standstill and in the distance, what appears to be the outline of a person standing next to the central reservation.

One onlooker said the figure looked like an adult with a child.

The spooky spot had people speculating that it could be the A229's famous ghost, which has been known to fling itself in front of vehicles.

There is, it seems, a 'feature film' of the Bluebell Hill incident.

I am about to attempt it.

Edit: I think there's a good chance I might not make it far through this...

Last edited:
Back