Blues Guitar Legends Of The British Isles

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
A spillover from the RIP thread, dedicated to those born within the British Isles who have left behind a profound blues guitar legacy.

Paul Kossoff, Rory Gallagher, Gary Moore and most recently, Peter Green are amongst those who impacted many of our lives.

Perhaps timeously pertinent to begin with, is a revealing article:

ONE LEGENDARY GUITAR: THREE LEGENDARY OWNERS – THE GREENY MOORE LES PAUL

https://www.thaliacapos.com/blogs/b...ee-legendary-owners-the-greeny-moore-les-paul

I recently came across the following video, which was bookmarked and as yet unseen.

I have only ever heard Roy Buchanan performaning the composition and it will be fascinating, especially as reviews claim Moore's interpretation features some of the finest guitar artistry ever recorded.

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Rory Gallagher must be one of the most underrated musicians in British music history- he never seems to be included in documentaries about guitar greats or Whistle Test compilations, but was a staggeringly good player and very influential- a young hopeful guitarist went backstage at a Gallagher gig in the early 70s to ask how Rory got his guitar tone: that guitarist was a young Brian May, starting out with his pre-Queen band Smile.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Rory Gallagher must be one of the most underrated musicians in British music history...
Celestial greetings my fellow Maryhill bred Fortrean, the following was discovered this very morning.

I've only listened to the opening couple of tracks, 'For the Last Time' and 'Laundromat' so far and both instantly take me right back to when I first heard them.

Mate's house in Maryhill Road, Glasgow. :)

Looks like the BBC recordings material features quite a few songs which are entirely new to myself.

Finding this and other classic blues archive recordings of late, has convinced I need a really decent new sound system.

I shall address this matter seperately.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Rory Gallagher must be one of the most underrated musicians in British music history- he never seems to be included in documentaries about guitar greats or Whistle Test compilations, but was a staggeringly good player and very influential- a young hopeful guitarist went backstage at a Gallagher gig in the early 70s to ask how Rory got his guitar tone: that guitarist was a young Brian May, starting out with his pre-Queen band Smile.
Can't disagree with that, but he was from the Irish republic and so doesn't really belong in this thread.
Gary Moore was from Belfast and was one of the greatest blues guitarists.
I was honoured to see him at the legendary Strat Pack concert in 2004:

MrRING

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I love Jimmy Page's solo on the First Gear's Leave My Kitten alone. It is a real explosion starting about 1:24:

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
A serious quality new sound system set-up...

Any advice most welcome.

I noticed this was receiving 5* reviews:

DENON D-41DAB WiFi music system

Is that what I need though?

Most music, especially blues related, I play via YouTube on the Smart TV nowadays.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Can't disagree with that, but he was from the Irish republic and so doesn't really belong in this thread.
Oh yes he does! :p

I had actually checked this very point, especially concerning Rory!

An executive decision was made, determining that for the purpose of this topic, it was part of the British Isles and therefore British.

'No further correspondence will be entered into..'. etc.

:badge:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
A serious quality new sound system set-up...

Any advice most welcome.

I noticed this was receiving 5* reviews:

DENON D-41DAB WiFi music system

Is that what I need though?

Most music, especially blues related, I play via YouTube on the Smart TV nowadays.
Denon are highly recommended. That looks like excellent kit.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
... a young hopeful guitarist went backstage at a Gallagher gig in the early 70s to ask how Rory got his guitar tone: that guitarist was a young Brian May, starting out with his pre-Queen band Smile.
Thanks for mentioning this, as a result of which I note two related interviews available, to enjoy watching.

I have only had time at present to view short segments from both and they are truly remarkable.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
When did, 'old-timey blues', first begin to cross with that emerging, late, 1960s blues and feature nascent guitar contributions from those who were to become... 'instrumental'!

I have come across this, which may be relatively early?

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I love Jimmy Page's solo on the First Gear's Leave My Kitten alone.
That snippet of video is glorious, I have never seen it before! Thank you so much, not only from myself, I am certain. :twothumbs:

Jimmy Page in the one.

He was the guitarist I most of all grew up with and remains my idol.

Page has everything, the complete guitar player.

Although of course Led Zeppelin encompassed many genres, when it came playing blues, Page is magical.

Personally, if I could only ever hear one blues song again, it would be the following, especially because I was there!

So, my intention was simply to feature a video of the Knebworth '79 performance... however... something astonishing has, quite literally this very moment, happened. Instead, I discover somebody else also rates it highly.

Whilst we wouldn't usually reference a reaction video, this one merits exception, in my earnest opinion.

I suppose because of the blues having a heritage where 'black lives matter' posters were perhaps a wee bit sparse, to see this particular guy becoming so passionately enamored with Led Zeppelin's take on the blues...

MrRING

Antediluvian
Reaction score
This is taken from a private audience recording of Mythology's very last show on 7/13/1968. During their final days, the band included Neil Marshall (bass), Chris Smith (vocals), Tony Iommi (lead guitar) and Bill Ward (drums). Mythology became dispirited after an incident where all four members were fined 15 pounds for possession of cannabis resin in Carlisle on 5/27/1968. Since this was considered to be a serious offense at the time, much of their gigging work dried up, and they disbanded after this final show in Siloth. Enjoy!

Coypu

Um 121 The element of confusion.....298.17
Reaction score
Famous Blues numbers...
How can i miss you if you won't go away.
I'm so miserable without you ,it's almost like having you here.
I think my baby loves me ,but she may be jiving to.
I'm sorry i made you cry but your face is much cleaner now. :cool:

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Reaction score
When did, 'old-timey blues', first begin to cross with that emerging, late, 1960s blues and feature nascent guitar contributions from those who were to become... 'instrumental'!

I have come across this, which may be relatively early?

When 'country blues' became 'city blues'