• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Boar Cavalry: Fae Or Just Simulacra?

TangletwigsDeux

Abominable Snowman
This turned up on reddit, a trail-cam pic that got snapped. Almostt certainly tree branch simulacra with a fortuitous bat/owl but you never know?

1531162048213.jpg

Original (?) reddit thread

EDIT: The original poster used a remote-linked image from Reddit - an image that could disappear if the link dies.
This has been replaced with the actual JPG file (attached) from the 2018 4Chan thread in which this incident apparently originated.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a really striking image.

The "cavalry" thing is emphasised by the "lance" with a symmetrical leaf-shaped head, and a perfectly straight shaft that continues behind the boar's backside.

If it is a genuine, un-staged, unedited picture, then it is difficult to imagine how a bird/animal could have got into exactly the right position to provide the eyes.

However, the grainy monochrome image was not taken with flash, so why would the "rider's" eyes be reflecting so brightly? The boar's eye looks wrong too.

I would like to see other images from the same camera taken when the boar was not present.

In the absence of more evidence, I'm going with this being either a particularly spectacular simulacrum, or staged/edited.

I’d say staged.

Is it a boar? Looks a bit deer-ish..

It’s rear legs seem to be astride a branch, possibly sitting on it. The eyes are a bit rectangular.

Trail cameras produce better images than this otherwise what’s the point - why is nothing in focus?

One thing to note from the 4Chan thread ... The OP left the camera to take snapshots for about a week. He reviewed at least some of the photos, only to find the expected wildlife. He then sent the photos to a friend and "project partner from school" to review. The friend emails back to tell him to check a particular photo - the one shown above.

It's not clear whether the hog rider photo had been overlooked by the camera owner / OP (who'd had it all along) versus its being sent back from the friend as the version he kept and posted to 4Chan.

The OP claimed he'd returned to the camera daily during the week it was deployed to check the latest photos it had captured.

He doesn't confirm he found the hog rider photo among any photos he'd retained when he sent the lot off to the friend / partner.

I’d say staged.

Is it a boar? Looks a bit deer-ish..

It’s rear legs seem to be astride a branch, possibly sitting on it. The eyes are a bit rectangular.

Trail cameras produce better images than this otherwise what’s the point - why is nothing in focus?
Trailcams have a fairly wide angle lens and the image looks as though it's been cropped and enlarged, increasing the noise and reducing the quality. The rectangular eyes are just movement blur. This cat was too near the camera but the fence was in focus!

catseyes.png
However, the grainy monochrome image was not taken with flash, so why would the "rider's" eyes be reflecting so brightly? The boar's eye looks wrong too.
Here's a fox taken with a trailcam. The eyes are reflecting the infrared LEDs. The illumination drops off quite rapidly. The fox was probably no more than 5 metres away.

fox IMAG0004 20210101.jpg

A different fox.

The boar's/deer's eye looks like it's moving, almost like it's duplicated?

I wonder if someone got a trailcam image which looked vaguely like something was on top of the animal and they augmented it with CGI - the rider's eyes and possibly some other things?

Back