• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Board Speed

Heckler

The unspeakable mass
Speed of the board has been pants this afternoon, I've had a few time outs (even on the front page). Anything going on?

(Before anyone asks I checked other websites at the same time and they fine so it wasn't my connection).

No its not your connection I've noticed it has been awfully slow (it took ages to acually get to this post).

As the rest of the site seems fine I suspect it might be a database problem. I'll nose around and if it hasn't fixed itself (or the server hasn't crashed) I'll pass a message along for the server admin chappies to kick the tires, oil the sprockets, feed the hamsters (I do hope they've been feeding the hamsters!!!), etc.

Bear with us.

Hold on, hold on......

(puff, puff, puff, puff.......this wheel SUCKS!)

I was going to smash my computer!!! And it's not just me! Good thing I couldn't find the hammer......

~cracks the whip over the back of the hardworking hamster~

Mush!!

I don't know what you are doing but it seems to be coming back up to speed again. A little more effort and we might be there.

I'll authorise extra lettuce rations later.

I've also found the board slow today.

And another stupid thing has happened twice today:

I got New Posts, and started working my way through the threads that intested me on Page 1 (of 2). But when I clicked for Page 2, I got a message that no threads met my search terms! :shock:

rynner said:
I've also found the board slow today.

And another stupid thing has happened twice today:

I got New Posts, and started working my way through the threads that intested me on Page 1 (of 2). But when I clicked for Page 2, I got a message that no threads met my search terms! :shock:

1) Likewise.
2) I get that several times a week. And similarly view new posts returning that message when i first click it on returning to the site.

Ryn, that happens to me all the time. :hmph:

Rynner, it does the same thing to me on and off.

Yeah Ryn, if you don't click the second page up into a new window as soon as you click new posts the first time. Otherwise the board will recognize you being on the board recently and it will revert to no new posts. Hope that helps and someone did post will I typed this so it might be irrelevant.

And the board was sluggish about an hour ago, it's much better now.

(Puff, puff, puff.....)

I'm waiting! I didn't find anything in my food box, when will the lettuce be in? And I ran out of water...... oh do you have any of those crunchy biscuts? :p

Gemaki said:
(Puff, puff, puff.....)

I'm waiting! I didn't find anything in my food box, when will the lettuce be in? And I ran out of water...... oh do you have any of those crunchy biscuts? :p

hah! lettuce????? youll have sprout leaves and like em! when were youngsters, we couldnt afford lettuce, as it were only cabbage or sprout leaves (young hampsters/gerbils today eh? :roll: :D )

what bout the condensed moisture on the cold metal walls of your cage, isnt that enough?

ok theres:- cat crunchies, dog biscuits or ginger nuts/snaps, digestives. so take your pick :D

-----------------------------

has the board be running slow for other people aswell tonight?

Damned slow to respond today for me. Once it's 'found' a page it oads it at normal speed but it's takig a fair old while to find 'em. Any obvious reasons?

The Yithian said:
Damned slow to respond today for me. Once it's 'found' a page it oads it at normal speed but it's takig a fair old while to find 'em. Any obvious reasons?

I was getting a few database connection errors just now and the baord was really crawling along either side of those errors popping up so I suspect somehting is amiss amongst the hamsters. I assume the gnomes are on it but I'll keep an eye on things and get out the pointy stick if need be.

What the fudge!!!

Eh whats going on?!!!! Just took about 10 mins to post a msg then it repeated it, then i deleted one of them and now the threads gone!

After it vanished the date was on 01/01/1970 (the last post date but no name).The thread was 'are you a troll'?.Maybe its my pc and everyone else can still see it?!!

:wtf:

sjoh9 said:
What the fudge!!!

Eh whats going on?!!!! Just took about 10 mins to post a msg then it repeated it, then i deleted one of them and now the threads gone!

After it vanished the date was on 01/01/1970 (the last post date but no name).The thread was 'are you a troll'?.Maybe its my pc and everyone else can still see it?!!

:wtf:

I saw that - clicked on latest new post in chat and the thread didn't exist.

When i was deleting my duplicate post (this taking ages as well), the note, 'you can only delete your own posts' popped up! I have found the thread by viewing my posts but then look back in chat and its not there.Bizarre.

SNAFU

I've just checked again and it is still there.

TBH I was wondering where it had got to as it had disappeared from my screen too. I haven't seen anything like this happen on here before, colour me baffled.

edit-

I've just triple-checked and here's the link to it

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 876#543876

Before i logged out last night i checked and yeah it was back.Bit strange that one! :shock:

There's odd stuff going on all over the MB atm - see my post here for more info.

its taken me at least 5-10 mins to refresh the "index" page, this morning

It's taking a very long time to 'accept' my posts.

Am i the only one?

It's taking a very long time to 'accept' my posts.

Am i the only one?

The whole internet seemed to be broken briefly during the late afternoon/early evening. I was getting lag and time-outs everywhere :(

I'm still getting it - worse actually - could something vital have perished in the cold. I'm in South-East UK.

Snow-dude is in London (yes, yes, aka the North Pole ;))?

theyithian said:
I'm still getting it - worse actually - could something vital have perished in the cold. I'm in South-East UK.

Snow-dude is in London (yes, yes, aka the North Pole ;))?

Like, DUH, like

Total posts: 1441

duh.gif

Oops.

Quite right. :oops:

Seems to be running ok again now.

Yeah, it seemed to fix itself earlier this evening. I'm not sure what could've cause it; one can only assume that one of BT's big super-duper internet controller things decided to conk out and reduce the bandwidth for lots of people. The effective downstream didn't seem too bad, but the upstream was awful, and as we all well know, you can't have one without the other as the upstream is always disproprtionately low. Well, apart from if you've got SDSL, but it's so expensive. I can't see why they don't give equal down/up on standard connections to be honest, I mean, they can say that bandwidth is expensive, but it's 'them' who set the price of it anyway, so they're justifying themselves by saying it's just 'like' that.

Ok, I'm rambling.

Wey-hey! Is this for real or has my mind just slowed down to the pace of the board?

No, I definately think something has happened, at least for Mac users. I've not had to update pages to see the most recent posts.

The only downside I can see is that forums are not coloured-in to show which have additional posts.

Not sure if I can cope with this new speed though. Takes away my thinking time. :D

Back