• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bob Lazar

MrRING

Android Futureman
Are there any conclusions within the UFO community about the veracity of Bob Lazar's claims?

I did a search for threads that mention him, and he's only mentioned a few times here, so I wondered what everybody's take on him was and if he's discredited or if he's considered the real deal.

Lazar

Well....there's lots of telling stuff in his story, such as his payslips with "MJ-12" as a prefix, the consistancy of his accounts, etc - it all boils down, as usual, to:

A) Is he telling the truth, and the powers that be have let him run with it as they believe most people will consign him to the "nutter" tray (and those that do believe will obviously belong in the self-same tray), or

B) Is he actually a just a convincing nutter, period?

Having seen a fair few documentaries etc about our Bob, I'm staying on the fence for the time being. If he's legit, then yes it's a huge revelation, but personally until I see the money shot, I won't be 100% convinced - which is what the whole thing turns on: the true believers will believe regardless, the skeptics will dismiss regardless..

And as for (I'd guess) most of us - however plausible Lazar may be (how apt is that name :D?), the hardcore Fortean will always have nagging doubts, however minor, or indeed major.

And will we ever see the aforementioned money shot? Discuss.

Hmm - one has to wonder why a so-called super secret organisation put it's acronym on his payslips...?

Aside from that, Lazar hasn't brought forth any evidence for what he claims. Without that, it's difficult to take what he says any more seriously than what, for example, Adamski was saying 50 years ago.

Even the whole MJ-12 thing is itself rather fishy - as no insiders that predate the 'uncovering' of MJ-12 mention it, depsite the fact that it has supposedly existed for 50+ years.

Well yes, exactly - it's the Onion Game once again, isn't it? "Let the groundlings strip away at the layers while we carry on regardless..". If indeed it is a cover-up.

MJ12 is a seperate subject, granted - it was just one of the factors that caught my eye in the last Lazar exposee I watched.

End of the day, who knows? Lazar and the great mysterious "Authorities". And we'll be stuck in the middle for ever.

stu neville said:
End of the day, who knows? Lazar and the great mysterious "Authorities". And we'll be stuck in the middle for ever.
"Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right..."

I will confess that I don't really believe Lazar. He's a little too loopy to be credible in my opinion. (I mean, this is a guy who collaborated on a comic book of his time reverse engineering alien technology at Area 51.)

Still, that perceived loopiness could be why the government/Majestic 12/aliens/MIB haven't shut him down, if he is telling the truth.

I admire your Fortean position in this one, Stu. In this instance, I just can't believe the source.

JerryB said:
Hmm - one has to wonder why a so-called super secret organisation put it's acronym on his payslips...?
Does seem a tad unlikely, doesn't it. IIRC there was a case described in the Grauniad about a year ago, where the widow of an ex-SIS officer was complaining about his pension rights, as his "official" job had been at a lower grade, than his "real" job, and hence his widow's pension was less than it should have been. If the UK do this for organisations acknowledged to exist, what do you think the US would do in the case of MJ-12?

love that bob - not

Is there something about US deserts that attracts / breeds people who are blessed with what Jennifer Jones' husband in Beat The Devil calls " a lively imagination " ?

After all, Texas produced Patricia Highsmith, who dined with snails, Whitley Strieber, Terry Southern, Joe R. Lansdale, Charles Whitman and weapons hallucinator George W. Bush. I apologize for my many omissions.

Build your own Bob

1) Take a subject with an air of respectability, a regular guy who doesn't look like a crank, preferably someone with scientific or some other professional credentials.

2) Even if he doesn't have total respectability, some kind of a blot on the copy book, then simply blame it on Them attempting to discredit you.

3) Even if you don't have the scientific credentials you claim to have, say it was done by Them attempting to discredit you. e.g. erasing all record of you attending an educational insitution you say you attended.

4) If you ever worked at a genuine military/government installation (JPL, Los Alamos, Wright-Patterson AFB), say so and provide the proof, even if you only made the tea.

5) Produce an incredible, yet believable, story about witnessing reverse engineered technology. Make the incredible claim, but anchor it in reality by surrounding the tale in terrestrial and procedural details.

6) Use as much detail as you can, including acronyms, names, what you had for breakfast .etc. to support your fabrication. Over elaborate if possible.

7) Add some science for good measure. Use terms and principles which are known and in the public domain....

8)...then extrapolate into the incredible. Laymen will not know the difference, but will be impressed by the use of terms such as Element 117 and bombarding elements with protons to produce antiprotons .etc. Somehow you will jump from standard physics into "ultra-efficient thermionic generators" and nuclear reactions that generate gravity waves.

9) Appear on documentaries, write books, but as a nice little sideline rather than your main source of income as interest in these things are short lived and rapidly cool.

10) Hook up with a charismatic, dogged researcher who is regularly wheeled onto chat shows to discuss such topics. This will open doors.

11) Back up your appearance as a regular guy by making statements such as "if I were you, I wouldn't believe me either" or "I know it's incredible, and I know I can't prove it, but that's what I saw."

Re: Build your own Bob

Dark Detective said:
3) Even if you don't have the scientific credentials you claim to have, say it was done by Them attempting to discredit you. e.g. erasing all record of you attending an educational insitution you say you attended.
That's always a good one, because of course "They" will only draw attention to the cover-up by doing this. How many people on this board can list friends and class-mates from university? How easy is it to erase your educational history? (I know, Bob Lazar never went to lectures or had a social life. I remember one or two of them... ;) )

anome said:
"Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right..."

I will confess that I don't really believe Lazar. He's a little too loopy to be credible in my opinion. (I mean, this is a guy who collaborated on a comic book of his time reverse engineering alien technology at Area 51.)

Still, that perceived loopiness could be why the government/Majestic 12/aliens/MIB haven't shut him down, if he is telling the truth.

I admire your Fortean position in this one, Stu. In this instance, I just can't believe the source.

what comic book was this?

I actually have no idea. I saw a documentary about him at some point, and one of the things they showed was him talking to the artists who were working on it.

If anyone out there has any ideas what it is, could they please let all of us know where we can get a look at it?

I think a US model kit company was putting out a plastic kit of a saucer Lazar supposedly saw and it was to come with a little comic-style version of his tale..No idea if it actually came out, this is just from memory. Was called "S-4 Saucer" or similar, the company was possibly Testors - they used to make kits of theoretical stealth planes and a few UFO's including one based on the dodgy Kaufman Roswell story.

Lazar speaks!

If Lazar really had anything to say, he'd be dead, or locked up.

He isn't, so he doesn't.

Bob Lazar and Area 51

Without doubt Bob Lazar is one of the most controversial
personalities ever to have been involved in Ufology. A number of
experienced and eminent Ufologists are of the opinion that he is an
absolute (but highly intelligent) fraudster, whilst others do regard
his claims seriously.
Love him or hate him, Bob Lazar has certainly made a major impact in
the world of Ufology, especially with his claims to have worked as a
physicist at Area 51, involving the reverse engineering of UFOs.

See:
http://www.thewhyfiles.net/boblazar.htm

You can't consider Bob Lazar without examining Area 51 - a top
secret base about the size of Switzerland that officially still does
not exist!

"Edwards Air Force Base was deemed not to be "secure" enough for the
test of such a craft so Johnson gave his top test pilot, Tony
Levier, the task of finding a suitably secure area in the Southwest
where it would safe to do so. Levier checked a number of sites
before arriving at a dry lake - Groom Lake in Nevada - adjacent to
what was called the Atomic Energy Commission Proving Grounds (later
re-named the Nevada Test Site). Groom Lake proved to meet the
requirements of a testing site for a top-secret aircraft - a ready
surface for landing, unpopulated and unattractive because of the
pollution caused by radio active fall out."

See:
http://www.thewhyfiles.net/Area51.htm

These articles include audio and video files
Geoff Richardson
www.thewhyfiles.net

I think the crux would be to start an investigation into his academic life and see if anybody remembers him (as said above). If there is no record, memory etc of this time, doubts must set in. Further, he claims to have 'scientific knowledge' - lets test it.
Sounds like a good money spinner to me. He may have worked in a top secret base and had some access to prototypes of black projects. That's probably it.

Lazar's credibility was never high, and it has gradually dropped out of sight.
The academic record is one of the niggest stumbling blocks. He claims that all records were destroyed - but . as they say at According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Lazar -
"has yet to be a single alumnus of either MIT or Caltech that has backed Lazar's claims by remembering a class taken with Lazar, or having ever seen him at either campus. The yearbooks from that time period also contain no photos of or references to Lazar."

His tale is all about his incredible genius (yes, he was the only one who could figure out that alien technology) but since then he has done what exactly?

Again, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Lazar
"Mr. Lazar on many occasions demonstrates an obvious lack of understanding of current physical theories. On no occasion does he acknowledge that his scenario violates physical laws as we understand them, and on no occasion does he offer up any hints of new theories which would make his mechanism possible. Mr. Lazar has a propensity for re-defining scientific terms, and using scientific language in a confusing and careless way. For these reasons, I don’t feel that Lazar's pseudo-scientific ramblings are really worthy of any kind of serious consideration."

So, is there any reason we should take him seriously?

Bob Lazar is, IMO, talking out of his probe-slot.

I recall his 'story' in one of Tim Good's books (Alien Liason, I think it was), where he went into a hangar that had more than one flying saucer, which was part of a complex where an alien book was on clear display for all and sundry to read.

Point 1: presuming that the authorities did have these craft in their posession, they would never keep more than one in the same location, for security and safety reasons. Quite simply, if they stored all their captured UFOs on a single base, and a fire broke out - well, goodbye to all that potential reverse-engineered technology! No, each saucer/cigar/whatever would have been stationed far and wide from each other. I'm sure if it.

Point 2: Likewise, this 'alien book' would have been stored somewhere else, owing to the practice of compartmentalisation. There was no need for it to be stored in the same place as the hardware. Nor would it be on open display.

Point 3: Bob Lazar just looks like he's taking the piss. Case closed.

wembley8 said:
His tale is all about his incredible genius (yes, he was the only one who could figure out that alien technology) but since then he has done what exactly?

He has sold a Hell of a lot of books and been piad to appear at a lot of conferences and on a lot of TV shows.

That might not take a genius but still...

barfing_pumpkin said:
Bob Lazar is, IMO, talking out of his probe-slot

When will this alien meddling stop?? Is there no end to their infamy??

wembley8 said:
I think the answer may lie in the next quote you cited:
wembley8 said:
.... Mr. Lazar has a propensity for re-defining scientific terms, and using scientific language in a confusing and careless way. For these reasons, I don’t feel that Lazar's pseudo-scientific ramblings are really worthy of any kind of serious consideration."
I bet he works for L'Oreal. With added boswellox.

Three years on, and I while I still don't entirely discount Lazar, I mostly entirely discount Lazar.

Well done for making the money Bob. But...he's a fake. None of it jibes and my spidey sense is a tingling.

More on the adventures of Bob and homeland security.

http://wired.com/wired/archive/14.06/chemistry.html

Feature:
Don't Try This at Home
Plus:
DIY Science
The first startling thing Joy White saw out of her bedroom window was a man running toward her door with an M16. White’s husband, a physicist named Bob Lazar, was already outside, awakened by their barking dogs. Suddenly police officers and men in camouflage swarmed up the path, hoisting a battering ram. “Come out with your hands up immediately, Miss White!” one of them yelled through a megaphone, while another handcuffed the physicist in his underwear. Recalling that June morning in 2003, Lazar says, “If they were expecting to find Osama bin Laden, they brought along enough guys.”
The target of this operation, which involved more than two dozen police officers and federal agents, was not an international terrorist ring but the couple’s home business, United Nuclear Scientific Supplies, a mail-order outfit that serves amateur scientists, students, teachers, and law enforcement professionals. From the outside, company headquarters – at the end of a dirt road high in the Sandia Mountains east of Albuquerque – looks like any other ranch house in New Mexico, with three dogs, a barbecue, and an SUV in the driveway. But not every suburban household boasts its own particle accelerator. A stroll through the backyard reveals what looks like a giant Van de Graaff generator with a pipe spiraling out of it, marked with CAUTION: RADIATION signs. A sticker on the SUV reads POWERED BY HYDROGEN, while another sign by the front gate warns, TRESPASSERS WILL BE USED FOR SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS.

The man's scientific genius has clearly not been idle :D

iirc i once saw a program from someone who had worked at area 51
he said that at times outside of the controlled areas they had to wear weird goggles
these goggles stopped you seeing more than a few feet ahead and almost nothing to the sides
his asumtion was to stop you seing any of the other aircraft on the runway or in other hangers(iirc he was an aircraft engineer)
and he could only take them off once his armed guard said so.

crunchy5 said:
More on the adventures of Bob and homeland security.

http://wired.com/wired/archive/14.06/chemistry.html

Feature:
Don't Try This at Home
Plus:
DIY Science
The first startling thing Joy White saw out of her bedroom window was a man running toward her door with an M16. White’s husband, a physicist named Bob Lazar, was already outside, awakened by their barking dogs. Suddenly police officers and men in camouflage swarmed up the path, hoisting a battering ram. “Come out with your hands up immediately, Miss White!” one of them yelled through a megaphone, while another handcuffed the physicist in his underwear. Recalling that June morning in 2003, Lazar says, “If they were expecting to find Osama bin Laden, they brought along enough guys.”
The target of this operation, which involved more than two dozen police officers and federal agents, was not an international terrorist ring but the couple’s home business, United Nuclear Scientific Supplies, a mail-order outfit that serves amateur scientists, students, teachers, and law enforcement professionals. From the outside, company headquarters – at the end of a dirt road high in the Sandia Mountains east of Albuquerque – looks like any other ranch house in New Mexico, with three dogs, a barbecue, and an SUV in the driveway. But not every suburban household boasts its own particle accelerator. A stroll through the backyard reveals what looks like a giant Van de Graaff generator with a pipe spiraling out of it, marked with CAUTION: RADIATION signs. A sticker on the SUV reads POWERED BY HYDROGEN, while another sign by the front gate warns, TRESPASSERS WILL BE USED FOR SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS.

Is it illegal to own a particle accelerator in the US?
Do they think he's a terrorist?
Crazy.

No, but read on -

"The CPSC’s concern with United Nuclear was not the uranium, the magnets, or the backyard accelerator. It was the chemicals – specifically sulfur, potassium perchlorate, and powdered aluminum, all of which can be used to make illegal fireworks. The agency suspected that Lazar and White were selling what amounted to kits for making M-80s, cherry bombs, and other prohibited items; such kits are banned by the CPSC under the Federal Hazardous Substances Act."

One of Lazar's little business ventures is making fireworks and putting on displays.
Anyway, in the US, aren't people allowed to own a certain amount of ordnance? Could be that they've decided to harass him because he's saying too much?

I doubt that would serve any purpose - other than to get his name in the press again. People have already made their minds up one way or the other about Lazar, and as far I know he has pretty much retired from the UFO circuit.

Post 9-11, anyone suspected of making things that might explode is probably likely to get their door kicked in sooner or later.

Re: Lazar

stuneville said:
however plausible Lazar may be (how apt is that name :D?)

lazar is a fairly common serbian forename so perhaps some CEE ancestry?

My Recollections Of The Enigmatic Bob Lazar ... Alleged F

By Norio Hayakawa
7-8-6

Most Recent News On Bob Lazar Click Here

I am not here to defend nor to put Bob Lazar down.

The fact is that Bob Lazar has been categorized as a fraud by most so-called UFO researchers and the public-at-large, although there are still some who hold on to the belief that Bob Lazar was who he said he was and that he did everything that he claimed.

One person who still totally and adamantly supports Bob Lazar's claims is KLAS-TV Eyewitness News anchorman, George Knapp, and of course, Bob's friend, Las Vegas real estate appraiser, Gene Huff.

Is Bob Lazar a total fraud?

I am still not sure. I still have some unanswered questions.

As for Bob Lazar's timeline, the whole world had already been familiar with Tom Mahood's timeline of Lazar, which he published in 1994.
(http://www.serve.com/mahood/lazar/timeline.htm)

However, not everyone is familiar with Gene Huff's 1995 rebuttal of Tom Mahood's timeline of Lazar.

But, thanks to Gary Sellani, Gene Huff's 1995 rebuttal of Tom Mahood's timeline was once again posted on the dreamlandresort.com recently.
(http://www.serve.com/mahood/lazar/synopsis.htm)

As I said above, personally, I still have some unanswered questions about Bob Lazar:

It was on February 21, 1990 that a crew of Nippon Television Network (NTV) of Japan and I (total of 7) had an opportunity to visit and interview Bob Lazar at his residence in Las Vegas. This was made possible through Bob's friend, real estate appraiser, Gene Huff.

We arrived at Bob's residence around 11 a.m., or so, to the best of my recollection.

They took us to the living room, which at that time did not seem to me to be fully furnished and "lived". They showed us Bob's study room, which also did not seem to me to be fully furnished. Yes, there were a few books on physics on the bookshelf and there were computers on his desk. In any case, the interview was conducted by a writer from a magazine and I was simply there as an interpreter.

The interview lasted about two hours.

When we arrived at his house, there were about 5 or 6 men in the house.

At first I thought they were simply Bob's friends. But later on I notieced something unusual about some of those men. It seemed that throughout the interview, whether in the living room or in Bob's study room, two men were constantly on each side of Bob. One of them seemed to have a rectangular black communications equipment with him. Perhaps it could have been a cellphone (although this was in 1990).

When we moved to the kitchen area, those two men also moved alongside Bob. When we moved to Bob's study room, those men also moved together with Bob.
So we asked Bob, "who are these men?" Bob simply said that, "don't worry, these are just friends".

Perhaps this was nothing. But I just thought to bring this up, because that's the one thing throughout the interview that impressed me the most.

What do I think of Bob?

I still cannot come to a conclusion.

In any case, later that Wednesday afternoon, the TV crew and I drove about 2 hours from Las Vegas and reached the location where Bob had said we would see a test flight of a object arising over the Groom Mountains.

And, indeed, immediately after sundown and after haveing set up the TV cameras, etc. on the dirt road (right next to Hwy 375), Lord, behold!!, around 6:45 p.m. we observed a bright orangish light appearing over the Groom Mountains and made some interesting maneuvers. I was quite impressed at that time. Around 7:15 p.m., another light came up. In any case, this was the beginning of my real interest in Area 51, before Area 51 was even a household name at that time.

As the years went by, I came to dismiss my initial excitement about those sightings. I came to the conclusion that those lights were a test-flying of our aircraft (such as prototypes of newer black triangular craft) (or possibly, the initial phases of test-flights of UAVs, or "unmanned aerial vehicles", or even "unmanned combat aerial vehicles" (UCAVs), or other remotely-controlled platforms.

As the years went by, I also began to have some questions regarding Bob Lazar. A few years later, I did see a copy of Bob Lazar's paycheck.
It wasn't much. Something like about $987.00.

Then I found out that Bob Lazar's Social Security Number did not belong to Bob Lazar but to a lady in New York.

Also, I began to have doubts about Bob Lazar for his not keeping the promise that he would fly to Japan in early March of 1990 to appear live on the 2-hour Japanese TV program on Area 51. I was waiting for his flight from Vegas to Los Angeles where I was to meet him. He never showed up. Later on, the producer of the TV program said that he got an urgent call from Bob that Bob was not allowed to go to Japan to appear on that program. This was a total disappointment.

Also, later on, I also came under the impression that Bob Lazar kept the $(honorarium) which was a guarantee that he would appear on the program live in Japan. Nevertheless, in mid March of 1990, a two-hour prime time TV Special on Area 51 was aired in Japan (without the live appearance portion of the program) and was seen by millions and millions of people there, when Area 51 wasn't even known by a lot of the American public.

So, what do I think of Bob Lazar?

Like I said, I still cannot conclusively dismiss him totally.

He is a genius in science and technology, no doubt about that.

The whole world, by now, also knows that Bob Lazar moved to New Mexico in the Sandia Mountains, next to Albuquerque. It is my understanding that he still does some contract work occasionally for various defense-related sub-contractors (not the direct contractors). His present activities also include United Nuclear.

Was Bob Lazar part of a disinformation campaign? Was he a witting participant or was he manipulated unwittingly in the disinformation ploy? I do not know. What I also know is that Bob Lazar had a huge debt while he worked in New Mexico, prior to moving in to Nevada.

What I also know is that the Air Force did benefit from the belief by a segment of the population (and a push by a segment of the population to promote this theory) that Area 51 was somehow associated with extraterrestrial technology.

It definitely helped in bringing about the "laughter curtain" to Area 51, which was needed as a "cover story".

It is my understanding that occasionally, "cover stories" are created by defense contractors during certain projects to draw attention away from or to bring up a "laughter curtain" to discret researchers' scrutiny of such projects.

But again, I could be wrong.

STRANGE BEHAVIOR OF BOB LAZAR PART II

In 1991, my former colleague, Gary Schultz and I organized an "Ultimate UFO Seminar" in the Little A-le-Inn (at that time known as Rachel's Bar and Grill).

Despite little prior notice on this event, that memorable evening, the entire inn was filled with people. It was standing room only. There weren't any space left even to walk around.

The only speakers were Gary Schultz and myself.
We did not invite any particular guests, but we were surprised to see Lincoln County Sheriff himself, Dahl Bradfield, seated inside. We were also astonished to see William Cooper (who, later on became a rabble-rousing militiaman and was killed a few years ago in Arizona) seated also, silently listening to our presentation.
There was Anthony J. Hilder (a rabble-rousing former talk show host in Alaska) in the crowd.

We also noticed that Sean Morton (an unknown enthusiast at that time who later on became a well-known self-professed "prophet" through his appearances on the wacky Art Bell show) was seated. (I am ashamed to say that I myself was a rabble-rouser at that time who also had appeared on the wacky Art Bell radio show a few times!!).

As Gary and I continued with our speech, we were surprised to see John Lear (son of the inventor of the Lear Jet) enter the room. A little later, the door opened again and here comes George Knapp, KLAS-TV news anchorman. Then about 30 minutes later, we were astonished to see Bob Lazar enter the room, together with his girlfriend. There was no space left for them to be seated. We never expected these individuals to be there. Literally, the entire Little A-le-Inn was filled with so many so-called UFO "luminaries", all in one place. There must have been at least 95 to 110 people there.

Bob Lazar and his girlfriend stood in the kitchen, initially appearing to be looking towards us and listening to our presentations. But, instead, what we noticed was that Bob Lazar was continually laughing at Gary Schultz while he was giving the serious lecture. It seemed as if Lazar was mocking the entire Area 51/S-4 topic as if he himself didn't believe in it. I simply could not understand the reaction of Bob Lazar. There may be nothing to this, but I just felt that his behavior was a little odd.

Two years later, in 1993, again Gary Schultz and I organized a much larger "Ultimate UFO Seminar" at the same place. However, this time we anticipated a much larger crowd so we decided to have it outside during the daytime, right next to the Little A-le-Inn. I believe it was in May. By this time, Gary Schultz became more acquainted with Bob Lazar and Bob Lazar agreed to come to speak.

We requested Joe Travis of the Little A-le-Inn to set up 200 chairs outside. Joe said he will take care of it.

When both Gary and I arrived at the Little A-le-Inn the day of the gatheirng, we were totally astonished to see a huge military tent right next to the Inn. What was strange was that we didn't expect such a large military tent to be there. When we asked Joe Travis how he got that tent, he simply said that he borrowed the tent from the base (i.e., Area 51). I wasn't aware then that Joe Travis had a working relationship with Area 51!! (the fact of which he really didn't talk too much).

The base definitely knew that we would be having a large gathering in Rachel.

(In recent times, it is my understanding that the new security cameras at the present day Little A-le-Inn were installed by military contractors, per gratis or not, I am not sure, although Pat Travis said that the cameras are not connected to anything beyond her operation. As you know, it is assumed that there is a fixed camera on Bald Mountain pointing at the Little A-le-Inn's parking lot).

In any case, there were almost 200 people (from all over the U.S. and even some from Canada) at the seminar/gathering. Remember, this was in 1993. Among the audience was Glenn Campbell, a computer specialist who just moved to Nevada from the East Coast. Glenn Campbell, later on, became an Area 51 activist who was instrumental in publicizing the existence of Area 51 base to a much wider segment of society.

By the way, when Bob Lazar arrived at the seminar (he came with a couple of ladies), we were surprised to see his Corvette which had a license plate "MJ-12". It was probably his mockery of the alleged existence of MJ-12. That memorable event was covered by a Los Angeles Times reporter.

That was to be Bob Lazar's last public appearance.

Article link

Back