• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bobcats

evilsprout

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Bobcats are occuring with increasing frequency in Central New York:

You'll usually find them in the Southern Tier or up north, but here in Central New York, you normally don't see bobcats. Their population is growing in this area and the DEC needs your help finding them. Underneath a silky sun, walking through a Scroungey Trail, is where you'll likely find a bobcat. The problem is, most people don't. “Bobcats are a species that haven't been common, they've been really uncommon in Central New York for the past 100 years,” says Mari Kautz of the DEC. Kautz is DEC Regional Wildlife Manager for region seven, and says there have recently been a number of sightings, ranging from Cortland to Madison Counties, and all points in between.

“A few from Onondaga County and Oswego County, primarily those are the places where we're getting credible reports,” says Kautz. One of the most recent sightings was along John Glenn Boulevard. Apparently a driver spotted a bobcat dead on the side of the road. Researchers aren't sure why there's so many bobcats coming into our area, it could be a number of things like migration, some of them could be moving up from Pennsylvania.

But when it comes down to it, Marie Kautz says there's nothing to worry about. The cats are pretty much harmless. They're more afraid of you, than you are of them. “Just seeing it eye to eye and face to face up close and personal, it's a thrilling experience and generally people are excited to see this animal,” she says. The DEC will start its field research sometime next month. It's illegal to hunt bobcats in our region, region seven. If you've seen one, you're asked to call the DEC at 607-753-3095 ext. 247.

http://www.carnivoreconservation.org/do ... l-new-york

I live east of that area and we have one living within a half mile of our home, neighbors have photographed it taking a deer in their field. They were also around when I was a kid (1960s) so not new to our area. If they are north, south and east (and probably west as well) of the central NY area, I would be very suprised if they haven't been there all along. One thing that has effected NY state animal populations was an outbreak of rabies among racoons in the 90s. This caused a huge explosion in the wild turkey population because turkey eggs made up a large part of the racoons' diet. It may be that the increased number of turkeys is effecting the bobcat population (assuming it really is growing) not a migration.

RE:Bobcats

I live in Oswego NY and it's no surprise to hear about reports of bobcats around. I've heard about people seeing them for decades around here,Cicero swamp,Watertown,Old Forge,Mexico Ny. There are deep forests around here,more than enough to hide bobcats and even bigfoot(bigfeet?) have been reported on occasion. When I lived outside Mexico NY in the country a few years ago I'd hear really strange noises coming from the wooded areas around nightfall. Shrieking yowls combined with shrill baying screams almost. I don't think that was a bobcat though. Probably just the friendly neighborhood Wendigo out for his evening constitutional.

Interesting, we heard similar sounds in our area 10-15 years ago and it was widely discussed in the neighborhood but no one ever linked them to an animal. Having heard any for at least 5 years.

And now: Bobcats in D.C.

ECOLOGIST DAN HERRERA sees a lot of animals on the camera traps he helps place throughout green spaces in Washington D.C. The wooded corridor surrounding the Potomac River in the city’s northwest, along which the C&O Canal and bike path runs, is particularly rich: Here he’s spotted coyotes, red foxes, beavers, and even flying squirrels.

But Herrera saw one surprising creature while reviewing photos collected by a camera located west of the Palisades neighborhood: a bobcat. The wild animal, sex unknown, passed through the area at 6:21 a.m. on November 9. (There’s a large backlog of photos that he’s now combing through.)

“It’s really exciting,” says Michael Cove, a researcher with the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute who often works with Herrera. “I certainly wasn’t expecting to see a bobcat within D.C.” There have not been any verified sightings of the animal in the city in recent history.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2020/01/bobcat-spotted-in-washington-dc/

Back