Body Modification

A

Anonymous

I didnt really know where to post this but still...
Did anyone see that program on Channel 5 last night on people who modify their bodies to look like animals or whatever? Ive always been fascinated by this and have read quite a lot about it (although would never do it myself) but whats everyone elses opinion? I cant see personaly why it matters what people do to themselves as long as its not done to offend others but I know there is a lot os hostility towards these people.

On that subject has anyone got any interesting Fortean tattoos??

MrSnowman

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
In the greatest Fortean tradition, I had the world's largest invisible tattoo put all over my entire body, documenting the story of humanity.:p

ruffready

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
no modification for me

I spent my enlistment in the US navy with-out one tattoo!! I just could'nt find one area of inperfection to cover -up!!

taras

Least Haunted
Reaction score
The guy on that programme who had his nose cut open with a scalpel by an ear-piercer, without anaesthetic....ew. I stopped watching at that point. :cross eye

akaWiintermoon

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I didn't see that particular programme but did see one on CH4 about plastic surgery. There was a guy on there who was obsessed with cats, so much so he was turning himself into one! He had the cats eye contacts and a tatto that covered his face. It was more tiger (A bit like Tony the Frosties cat.) than a domestic cat. He's also had implants in his cheeks at the front to give him that rounded face cat apperance, and had multipul piercings round that area ready to have bits of long plastic put in to mimic whiskers.
The thing I didn't get though, was that he had breasts! They looked like implants, totally protruding from his chest. I didn't know cats had breasts anyway, but even wierder was that nobody mentioned them! :confused:

A

Anonymous

Wintermoon said:
I didn't see that particular programme but did see one on CH4 about plastic surgery. There was a guy on there who was obsessed with cats, so much so he was turning himself into one! He had the cats eye contacts and a tatto that covered his face. It was more tiger (A bit like Tony the Frosties cat.)

i saw that too..odd thing was he didnt seem to know a lot about tigers realy.. and his house was full of soft toy tigers!...

MrRING

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Maybe he's part of a New Furry Underground....

:D

Actually, there was a guy like that on Ripley's Believe it or not (hosted by Dean Cain) where a guy got metal cat whiskers emplanted in his cheek (he can screw them out to sleep) and he was planning on having tiger fur surgicly transplanted on his body.

I think, because the human body is an amazing thing in it's own right, that it's kind of goofy to go into extreme body modifications. If anybody's read RE:Search's Body Art book, think about the picture of Sailor Sid the next time you want to feel ill... I think with the extremes come a self-hatred, or a desire to have what one cannot have.

What do people here think of Orlan, the French performance artist/body modifier? Here's a link to her site: http://www.cicv.fr/creation_artistique/online/orlan/

TVgeek

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Wintermoon said:
There was a guy on there who was obsessed with cats, so much so he was turning himself into one

Would this be a fan of William Gibson's "Neuromancer"
trying to become a Panther Modern?

TVgeek

akaWiintermoon

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Hmm, Cruella D'Evil hairstyle and a Klingon forehead, or is that brick work? As a sinus suffer, it looks like it bloody hurts anyway.
What I want to know is do these people really think their tastes will never change? When I was a tean, up till my early twenties, I was obsessed with fictional vampires (I thought I'd better add fictional as I don't want want a fellow Fortean sceaming, 'But real ones are gross!' at me. ;) ). I wanted my teath filled like fangs. I also really wanted a tattoo and go as far as the chair (Was too chicken and didn't like where he placed the tracing anyway! :) ). I thank God I didn't do either. As I've gotten older I guess I just realised I had to be me to assert my idividuality.
I guess these people might be trying to live in a fantasy world to hide from the 'real' world (As in their real world, their personnal pains and issues.). The only way to really find out would be to interview one.

Going back to my earlier point on aging, I've seen Englands most tattooed older (And piecerd! Gulp! *Ewww!* ) woman and man. Not attractive and I think only done for the noteriety.

Sad. :rolleyes:

akaWiintermoon

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
TVgeek said:
Would this be a fan of William Gibson's "Neuromancer"
trying to become a Panther Modern?

TVgeek

I don't mean to be mean, but he didn't seem to know too much about anything, just obsessed with cats. (Ok, so I was mean. ;) :D) No mention of the book was given.

TVgeek

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Oh, one of THOSE! ;)

TVgeek

phi23

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Wintermoon said:
The thing I didn't get though, was that he had breasts! They looked like implants, totally protruding from his chest. I didn't know cats had breasts anyway, but even wierder was that nobody mentioned them! :confused:

Apparently he's suffered from cancer of the testicals and now he has a lack of male hormones - poor guy probably got neutered like a tomcat :(

carole

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
sidecar_jon said:
i saw that too..odd thing was he didnt seem to know a lot about tigers realy.. and his house was full of soft toy tigers!...

That was on Ripley's believe it or not too, jon. I saw the bit where he was getting the bits between his nose and upper lip pierced so that he could have artificial whiskers inserted (he intended to take the whiskers out at night, like dentures!)

I love cats, and tigers, but God, I'd never try to look like one! It said on the Ripley's programme that his next move was to get a prosthetic tail attached, and they would somehow attach it to his nerves so that he could make it move slightly . . .

Carole

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
These people attract attention but why? They are uniformly banal
and hollow inside. :confused:

carole

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Well, perhaps there's your answer, James - banal inside, therefore they feel the need to be 'different' outside.

I'm sure that, given the choice, I'd rather take the opposite option . . .

Carole

DerekH16

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Talking of 'older' (as mentioned by Wintermoon) -

Do people who get extensive tattooing/body piercing done imagine what they'll look like in their twilight years?

Might look cool/sexy on young, firm flesh (Aaaagh, cold shower, quick!) but in 30 or 40 years time - eeeugh. :imo:

A

Anonymous

James Whitehead said:
These people attract attention but why? They are uniformly banal
and hollow inside. :confused:

These people didn't seem to be "banal" or "hollow" to me - just seemed like people with a rather extreme hobby. There wasn't much delving into why they modified themselves in the programme.

A

Anonymous

My girlfriend has a pierced tongue, nipple and belly button and also one tattoo. The only thing I've ever seriously considered getting is a Toronto Maple Leafs logo on my arm but haven't gotten the nerve to do it yet ;) .

sureshot

carole

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I've always imagined that having one's tongue pierced would hurt like hell - I mean really hurt . . .

Carole

carole

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Nowadays people have gone in for all sorts of piercings, tattoos and body modifications. Something I haven't noticed yet: the lip disc like some of the Amazon indians wear.

Only a matter of time, I suppose.

Carole

A

Anonymous

carole said:
Nowadays people have gone in for all sorts of piercings, tattoos and body modifications. Something I haven't noticed yet: the lip disc like some of the Amazon indians wear.

Only a matter of time, I suppose.

Carole

could be... seems its mostly done to frighten parents anyway..so why not!

A

Anonymous

When I see a young person with facial piercings, I always wonder "So, do you not intend to work, later in life? Or did you even think about how well 11 rings in your face would fly in a job interview?"

A

Anonymous

i nearly always think...what an awful juicy spot they have on their face...

A

Anonymous

sidecar_jon said:
i nearly always think...what an awful juicy spot they have on their face...

gag reflex inadvertantly activated!:cross eye

A

Anonymous

I find facial peircings disgusting. I mean, not revolting, but ass backwards ugly. ESPECIALLY lip rings. My ex-girlfriend got her nose and eyebrow peirced... I got used to them, but damn was she mad when I didn't pretend to love them. The most I could manage was saying they were "okay". Which was true, I guess.
But I like to hope, through ugly faces I made whenever she mentioned it, that I dissuaded her from getting a stupid tatoo of song lyrics on her FOREARM.

A

Anonymous

when i see a girl with a nose to ear chain i imediately think theyve had a long boogie wipped round by the wind..... lips rings look like they lost a fight with a curtain ring.... eyebrow pierceings they look like acne...

A

Anonymous

peircings and tatts

Carole- I had my tongue peirced a few years ago. Believe it or not, it actually isn't that bad. It hurts, but not nearly as bad as you'd think considering what you're actually doing. The worst part is right afterwards when you rinse your mouth out with the stingy stuff and your tongue swells to fill your whole mouth.:blah:
Unfortunately for me, my tongue ring came out in my mouth while I was asleep on a road trip only about a month after it had healed. I awoke as I swallowed it whole. I didn't have anything to fill the hole, so I lost my beloved tongue ring. :mad:
Oh well, I still have my bellybutton peirced.
I was supposed to have a sun tatted onto my right shoulder, but I have been to much of a wimp to go get it done. For some reason I am scared of tattoos. I don't see how those cat people get tats all over their faces. Ouch! :cross eye :

TVgeek

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I just had a courier come through the office -- he looked frighteningly like Rik from "The Young Ones", except for
the multiple piercings on his face.
He even had the tatty suit on!
LOL

TVgeek

Anome

Bibliomancer
Reaction score
I don't mind the odd bit of piercing on another person (I don't think I'll ever do it myself). Some people do go too far, but the same can be said of anykind of accessorising.

With regards the more extreme body modifications: I am continuall surprised that we are yet to hear of anyone having their ears pointed to look like an elf or a Vulcan (or even a Romulan). More surprising (given the surge in interest over the last decade or so), no-one seems to have been surgically modified to look like a Klingon. (Not TOS Klingons. obviously as they were just humans with funny haircuts and dark makeup.) Surely if the Cat guy, or the leopard guy, or the snake guy can find surgeons willing to do this for them, there must be some overly obsessed Trekkie out there who can get bumps put on his forehead.

And for all you people talking about how painful a tongue piercing would be, what about a Prince Albert, or the female equivalent? Even the idea of piercing the periphery of the groinal region makes me cringe.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
anome said:
And for all you people talking about how painful a tongue piercing would be, what about a Prince Albert, or the female equivalent? Even the idea of piercing the periphery of the groinal region makes me cringe.

God yeah - I had several piercings in my ears, including one in the cartliage bit at the top which hurt so much I had to take it out after a few days (couldn't sleep even, and I've got a high pain threshold) so what it'd feel like in the trouser department I'd rather not dwell on :eek:.

Prince Albert, apparently named after Queen Victoria's consort, who allegedly had one: as Jack Dee pointed out, there's no indication of this on the Albert Memorial :).

Stu