Body Modification

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
If you put sunblock on your tattoos when you go outside they last a lot longer.

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
'Stalking Cat' Daniel Avner found dead in apparent suicide after years of body modification to look like a feline
John Hall Wednesday 14 November 2012

A man who spent years modifying his face and body to look like a cat has died in an apparent suicide.
Daniel Avner, who was better known as Stalking Cat, was found dead in his Nevada home last week.
A blog post by his friend Shannon Larratt, the former editor and publisher of BMEzine said the 54-year-old had taken his own life.

The US Navy veteran underwent a series of surgical body modification procedures to make him look like a female cat.
Descended from Native Americans, Avner began his modification after a chief told him to “follow the ways of the tiger.” He subsequently went by his Native American name, Stalking Cat.
On his now defunct website, Avner said: “I am Huron and following a very old tradition have transformed myself into a tiger.”

Over the years Avner underwent a series of operations to alter his appearance, including bifurcation (the splitting of his upper lip), surgical ear pointing, silicone cheek and forehead implants, tooth sharpening and facial tattoos and piercings. He also grew and painted his fingernails to look like claws.

Despite his unusual appearance Avner maintained his job as a computer programmer, although he often made television appearances and starred in Ripley’s Believe it or Not! shows.

In her blog post, Ms Larratt described Avner as: 'a wonderful and complex person, he was at times as troubled as he was remarkable, and he recently took his own life at the age of 54.'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 16569.html

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
That's a hell of a shame, he was one of the first of those body modification types to get really big exposure in the media. It wasn't enough for his peace of mind, evidently.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
RolfBuchholz.jpg

Rolf Buchholz of Germany has been certified by Guinness as having the largest number of body modifications.
German man sets world record with 516 body modifications

A German man set a Guinness World Record for most body modifications -- and he says he isn't finished altering his body.

Rolf Buchholz said his enthusiasm for body modification didn't awaken until he got his first tattoo at age 40, but he soon became addicted and now has 516 body modifications, including tattoos, piercings and subdermal implants. ...

Buchholz previously set the world record for most piercings when they were officially counted at 453 -- including 158 around his lips alone.

Buchholz said he has added more body modifications since they were officially counted at 516, and he is still considering further modifications.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/1...rd-with-516-body-modifications/2461603476518/

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

Rolf Buchholz of Germany has been certified by Guinness as having the largest number of body modifications.

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/1...rd-with-516-body-modifications/2461603476518/

The head/facial work looks like an anti-intimacy shield. I mean, what do you do when you're cuddling in bed with your sweetheart?

- Look into their eyes - eww
- Stroke their face - careful not to snag anything!
- Nibble their ear - clicking, unpleasant metallic taste
- Snuggle face to face - ouch
- Kiss - ooer, my brace is caught!

Dunno what else he's had done though one can probably guess at some of it. He's surely not long for this world.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
The head/facial work looks like an anti-intimacy shield. I mean, what do you do when you're cuddling in bed with your sweetheart?

- Look into their eyes - eww
- Stroke their face - careful not to snag anything!
- Nibble their ear - clicking, unpleasant metallic taste
- Snuggle face to face - ouch
- Kiss - ooer, my brace is caught!

Dunno what else he's had done though one can probably guess at some of it. He's surely not long for this world.
What is going on inside his head?

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
A day may come when this is normal.

(Or maybe the day has already been?)

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
The head/facial work looks like an anti-intimacy shield. I mean, what do you do when you're cuddling in bed with your sweetheart?...

You could stand them in a corner and throw magnets at them.

Seriously, though - seems to me that there's a line to be crossed between expressing yourself, and hiding behind yourself. I'd suggest that although it might seem just another point on the same route, some individuals - not unlike people lost in the wilderness - reach a place in their journey where they have, without realising it, turned around and are heading in completely the opposite direction to the one intended.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score

I'm all for individual freedom - some might even call me a libertarian - but surely at some point a line is crossed where an individual is actively self-harming?

(As opposed to passively self harming like, you know, falling off a motorbike at age 65 :) )

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Well, there is the quite valid argument that many people who have plastic surgery are in actual need of more mental care.

But that is to look normal, some of these body modification folk are definatley trying to achive something more individual.

Its all down to what is acceptable in society.

Cochise

Reaction score
Well, there is the quite valid argument that many people who have plastic surgery are in actual need of more mental care.

But that is to look normal, some of these body modification folk are definatley trying to achive something more individual.

Its all down to what is acceptable in society.
Well, public hangings and tormenting the mentally ill used not only to be popular, but were in effect spectator sports.

I'm not suggesting that anyone who is in to piercings and all over tattoos is suffering from mental illness, just it seems to me that extreme cases might indeed be the result of some kind of mental derangement and should be attempted to be helped before they do themselves irretrievable harm .

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
You have a point, GNC, but its far better than underground surgery...or DIY.

Cochise

Reaction score
You have a point, GNC, but its far better than underground surgery...or DIY.
And a properly licensed practitioner could be in the best position to alert support services when someone has gone over the top. O(f course, the problem always is that the body modification addict then turns to unlicensed practitioners, but I don't know the answer to that. I guess at that point Darwin kicks in :( .

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The disturbing thing is there are people who will egg him on.

If everyone scoffed then he would have less incentive to do it

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
If everyone scoffed then he would have less incentive to do it

H8r.

;)

lf your far-from-daft approach were applied to quite a few of today’s outlying behaviours the seas would boil, the Internet would burn and Twitter would fall over. Best not, eh?

maximus otter

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
'Stalking Cat' Daniel Avner found dead in apparent suicide after years of body modification to look like a feline
John Hall Wednesday 14 November 2012

A man who spent years modifying his face and body to look like a cat has died in an apparent suicide.
Daniel Avner, who was better known as Stalking Cat, was found dead in his Nevada home last week.
A blog post by his friend Shannon Larratt, the former editor and publisher of BMEzine said the 54-year-old had taken his own life.

The US Navy veteran underwent a series of surgical body modification procedures to make him look like a female cat.
Descended from Native Americans, Avner began his modification after a chief told him to “follow the ways of the tiger.” He subsequently went by his Native American name, Stalking Cat.
On his now defunct website, Avner said: “I am Huron and following a very old tradition have transformed myself into a tiger.”

Over the years Avner underwent a series of operations to alter his appearance, including bifurcation (the splitting of his upper lip), surgical ear pointing, silicone cheek and forehead implants, tooth sharpening and facial tattoos and piercings. He also grew and painted his fingernails to look like claws.

Despite his unusual appearance Avner maintained his job as a computer programmer, although he often made television appearances and starred in Ripley’s Believe it or Not! shows.

In her blog post, Ms Larratt described Avner as: 'a wonderful and complex person, he was at times as troubled as he was remarkable, and he recently took his own life at the age of 54.'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 16569.html
Avner's friend Shannon Larratt is quoted here. Whoever wrote the piece assumed Larratt was female, which he wasnt. Sloppy.

Interestingly, Shannon Larratt himself succumbed to tubular aggregate myopathy in March 2013, possibly four months to the day after Avner's death.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'd say the sloppy part was doing copy & paste from a blog, instead of talking to Larratt directly.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
H8r.

;)

lf your far-from-daft approach were applied to quite a few of today’s outlying behaviours the seas would boil, the Internet would burn and Twitter would fall over. Best not, eh?

maximus otter

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I think he's going for an orc from World of Warcraft look.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I wonder if he can remove any of that? A friend of mine has 'horns' that are screwed on to sub-dermal implants, the threads are exposed so she can swap them for different attachments. Or take them off and brush her hair over them.
I dunno, what's wrong with good old hen-night deeley-boppers? :chuckle:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Here's a post of mine from 2013.
While real horns trump mere modifications, humans shouldn't have them.

I used to look after a cancer patient who had several little horns growing out of her head. They were about as big as the last joint of my little finger. Her scalp seemed tender to the touch.

She was brave and uncomplaining about her condition and always thanked the staff for whatever they did for her. I last saw her a couple of years ago and would imagine that she has died since then, poor lady.