• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Body Modification (General; Miscellaneous)

Yup, I agree that the silly girl probably asked for the tatts and then bottled it when the Da went mad. She can't possibly have slept through all that pain. Unless the tattooist did drug her, which is extremely unlikely.

However, Mugwump's point is a good one - a reputable tattooist would not be happy with marking a young woman's face, so this one doesn't exactly look blameless.

Nice to 'see' you by the way, Mugwump! :D

Hiya Escargot, I've been lurking for a while due to login problems:x .
It's nice to be back on board! :D

I have to disagree with you here. My Grandad is 93, he had his tattoos done in the 1950's and they still look good.

Maybe some were better done than others. No idea where precisely my stepfather got his, but judging by his stories, prob. some back street in singapore round the corner from the whorehouse where he lost his virginity then had a nosebleed all over the sheets.

This tattoo story reminded me of this - disquieting but rather clever - conceptual artwork:

For 80064 (2004), Z?mijewski persuaded a concentration camp survivor to have the fading tattoo of his prisoner number refreshed on his arm. Apparently unconcerned about the pain, the man seems more troubled by the thought that the fresh colour might efface the original tattoo, but finally agrees to have it done.

Picture here:
http://www.artnet.com/artwork/424916112 ... 80064.html

Also this proves that tattoos do fade and get fuzzy with time.

rynner2 said:
Girl has 56 stars tattooed on face after 'falling asleep'
A furious Belgian father has gone to the police after his teenage daughter ended up with 56 stars tattooed on her face after allegedly asking the tattooist for "some points of colour".
Girl with 56 stars tattooed on face admits she asked for them
A teenage girl who claimed 56 stars were tattooed on her on her face as she slept when she asked for three has admitted she was awake the whole time – and lied because her father was "furious".
By Our Foreign Staff
Published: 5:00PM BST 22 Jun 2009

Kimberley Vlaminck had insisted she dozed off after asking the tattooist for just three small stars – then woke in horror to find her face was covered.

The Belgian blamed the Flemish-speaking tattooist for not being able to understand her French and English instructions.

Amid a frenzy of media attention, she then pledged to sue the tattoo artist, Rouslan Toumaniantz, for the £9,000 she needed for laser surgery to have them removed.

She said after the tattooing last week: "It is terrible for me. I cannot go out on to the street. I look like a freak."

But the 18-year-old has finally confessed she did not fall asleep, that she wanted all the stars and was "fully aware" of what Mr Toumaniantz was doing.

Ms Vlaminck told a Dutch TV crew: "I asked for 56 stars and initially adored them. But when my father saw them, he was furious. So I said I fell asleep and the that the tattooist mad made a mistake."

Mr Toumaniantz – himself covered from head to foot in tattoos and piercings – had consistently denied he had made a mistake and always insisted Vlaminck wanted all 56 stars.

He said at the time: "I maintain that she absolutely agreed that I tattoo those 56 stars on the left side of her face."

But despite insisting she had asked for 56 stars, he still initially agreed to pay for half of the treatment to remove the tattoos.

He said: "Kimberley is unhappy and it is not my wish to have an unsatisfied client."

"I don't regret it. To tell you the truth, this has given me some publicity." Mr Toumanaintz is now said to have withdrawn his cash offer and said from now on he will get written consent from clients before he begins tattooing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -them.html

I'm in my early forties female, and have a few tattoos. the first one one done 25 years ago, the last one, 6 weeks ago.
When i had my first tattoo done, hardly anybody had them, and it just makes me laugh now, it's who hasn't got one.
It must be so hard for teenagers to shock their parents now.
Most of us have been there, done that. :)

mugwump2 said:
My step dad had lots of tatoos that he picked up in his teens while he was in the Royal Navy. Having seen what they looked like at 40, I wouldn't even think of getting one. It doesn't matter how super they look now, give it 20 years and they will look a mess.

I have to disagree with you here. My Grandad is 93, he had his tattoos done in the 1950's and they still look good.
My father had one done on his upper arm in the late 40s when he was in the RAF (a simple blue heart/banner with the name of his then paramour), and even when I was a small child in the late 60s it was already very blurry - now it just looks like a very faint bruise. Indeed, when he was recently hospitalised (he's nearly 80) it took them a long while to realise it was actually a tattoo.

My brother has the tackiest, crassest tattoo I've ever seen, of a bikini'd woman trussed up with string. Absolutely horrendous. I'm hoping for his sake that it fades sometime soon. :lol:

One tattoo that i saw on a woman really made me have a double take, the woman must have been 65-70 years old. It was summer and she was wearing a vest type top. She had an american eagle tattoed right across her chest. I remember at the time thinking, i'd love to know what the story to that tattoo was. It had been there for quite a long time by the look and colour of it. I must admit it really made me smile.
Thats how to grow old. :D

From personal experience, tattoo's do fade - black tends to remain very longer but turns blue but the actual "pattern" changing depends on the quality of the skin or the health of the wearer, since skin relies on muscle tone. So a simple, abstract pattern - like the "tribal / spike" style in current vogue - shouldn't change very much.

My first was done when I was 20 (after a harrowing separation) - the black has faded and the red has too, but the pattern is still clear; it's a phoenix. My second is a Sun/Moon roundel with a hare - tribal style - leaping over it. All in black, I had this done for my 40th birthday. Both designs are my own.

My elder brother was a tattoist and, in his sixties, has many cliche images over his arms, back and chest but a crying baby's face with my name under it is still sharp and clear ... just like he first did it himself when I was born! :D

'Stalking Cat' Daniel Avner found dead in apparent suicide after years of body modification to look like a feline
John Hall Wednesday 14 November 2012

A man who spent years modifying his face and body to look like a cat has died in an apparent suicide.
Daniel Avner, who was better known as Stalking Cat, was found dead in his Nevada home last week.
A blog post by his friend Shannon Larratt, the former editor and publisher of BMEzine said the 54-year-old had taken his own life.

The US Navy veteran underwent a series of surgical body modification procedures to make him look like a female cat.
Descended from Native Americans, Avner began his modification after a chief told him to “follow the ways of the tiger.” He subsequently went by his Native American name, Stalking Cat.
On his now defunct website, Avner said: “I am Huron and following a very old tradition have transformed myself into a tiger.”

Over the years Avner underwent a series of operations to alter his appearance, including bifurcation (the splitting of his upper lip), surgical ear pointing, silicone cheek and forehead implants, tooth sharpening and facial tattoos and piercings. He also grew and painted his fingernails to look like claws.

Despite his unusual appearance Avner maintained his job as a computer programmer, although he often made television appearances and starred in Ripley’s Believe it or Not! shows.

In her blog post, Ms Larratt described Avner as: 'a wonderful and complex person, he was at times as troubled as he was remarkable, and he recently took his own life at the age of 54.'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 16569.html

That's a hell of a shame, he was one of the first of those body modification types to get really big exposure in the media. It wasn't enough for his peace of mind, evidently.

RolfBuchholz.jpg

Rolf Buchholz of Germany has been certified by Guinness as having the largest number of body modifications.
German man sets world record with 516 body modifications

A German man set a Guinness World Record for most body modifications -- and he says he isn't finished altering his body.

Rolf Buchholz said his enthusiasm for body modification didn't awaken until he got his first tattoo at age 40, but he soon became addicted and now has 516 body modifications, including tattoos, piercings and subdermal implants. ...

Buchholz previously set the world record for most piercings when they were officially counted at 453 -- including 158 around his lips alone.

Buchholz said he has added more body modifications since they were officially counted at 516, and he is still considering further modifications.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/1...rd-with-516-body-modifications/2461603476518/

Rolf Buchholz of Germany has been certified by Guinness as having the largest number of body modifications.

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/1...rd-with-516-body-modifications/2461603476518/

The head/facial work looks like an anti-intimacy shield. I mean, what do you do when you're cuddling in bed with your sweetheart?

- Look into their eyes - eww
- Stroke their face - careful not to snag anything!
- Nibble their ear - clicking, unpleasant metallic taste
- Snuggle face to face - ouch
- Kiss - ooer, my brace is caught!

Dunno what else he's had done though one can probably guess at some of it. He's surely not long for this world.

The head/facial work looks like an anti-intimacy shield. I mean, what do you do when you're cuddling in bed with your sweetheart?

- Look into their eyes - eww
- Stroke their face - careful not to snag anything!
- Nibble their ear - clicking, unpleasant metallic taste
- Snuggle face to face - ouch
- Kiss - ooer, my brace is caught!

Dunno what else he's had done though one can probably guess at some of it. He's surely not long for this world.
What is going on inside his head?

The head/facial work looks like an anti-intimacy shield. I mean, what do you do when you're cuddling in bed with your sweetheart?...

You could stand them in a corner and throw magnets at them.

Seriously, though - seems to me that there's a line to be crossed between expressing yourself, and hiding behind yourself. I'd suggest that although it might seem just another point on the same route, some individuals - not unlike people lost in the wilderness - reach a place in their journey where they have, without realising it, turned around and are heading in completely the opposite direction to the one intended.

I'm all for individual freedom - some might even call me a libertarian - but surely at some point a line is crossed where an individual is actively self-harming?

(As opposed to passively self harming like, you know, falling off a motorbike at age 65 :) )

Well, there is the quite valid argument that many people who have plastic surgery are in actual need of more mental care.

But that is to look normal, some of these body modification folk are definatley trying to achive something more individual.

Its all down to what is acceptable in society.

Well, there is the quite valid argument that many people who have plastic surgery are in actual need of more mental care.

But that is to look normal, some of these body modification folk are definatley trying to achive something more individual.

Its all down to what is acceptable in society.
Well, public hangings and tormenting the mentally ill used not only to be popular, but were in effect spectator sports.

I'm not suggesting that anyone who is in to piercings and all over tattoos is suffering from mental illness, just it seems to me that extreme cases might indeed be the result of some kind of mental derangement and should be attempted to be helped before they do themselves irretrievable harm .

You have a point, GNC, but its far better than underground surgery...or DIY.
And a properly licensed practitioner could be in the best position to alert support services when someone has gone over the top. O(f course, the problem always is that the body modification addict then turns to unlicensed practitioners, but I don't know the answer to that. I guess at that point Darwin kicks in :( .

The disturbing thing is there are people who will egg him on.

If everyone scoffed then he would have less incentive to do it

If everyone scoffed then he would have less incentive to do it

H8r.

;)

lf your far-from-daft approach were applied to quite a few of today’s outlying behaviours the seas would boil, the Internet would burn and Twitter would fall over. Best not, eh?

maximus otter

Back