• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Body Modification (General; Miscellaneous)

carole

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I read with fascination about that bloke reported in the News Archive (2 Aug) who wants to become a tiger. Filed teeth, tattoos, grafted-on whiskers, etc. Now he wants to have some old tiger skins grafted onto himself. What worries me about this is, if he does have this done, won't the hair on the skins start to wear off and he'll look pretty motheaten before long?

There was also that Lizard Man in the last edition of FT, and there was that man who wanted to be a leopard (I think he's aiming for 100% tattoos).

Does anyone know of any other people who are turning themselves into animals like this?

Carole

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that lizard man in FT looked pretty silly. If I saw him in the street I think I'd just laugh at his stupid big green face.

Evilsprout said:
I thought that lizard man in FT looked pretty silly. If I saw him in the street I think I'd just laugh at his stupid big green face.

I keep thinking about his girlfriend (the one with the tattoos where her kidneys have been 'removed' - imagine waking up in the morning with Lizard Man next to you!
:eek:

Carole

carole said:
imagine waking up in the morning with Lizard Man next to you!
:eek:

Carole

Ugh thanks for that! Nightmares for the rest of the week methinks!

Is this the same man as the ex SAS type who runs about naked in forests? He had leopard spot tattoos all over him (head included) and pointy teeth. He was on tv once getting dressed and putting on a really bad wig to go in town for supplies. Or maybe I imagined it. Yes that's probably it.

Yes, that's the man (sorry, leopard). I'm just wondering what other animals people might like to turn themselves into. Budgie Man (who's a pretty boy then)? And what about the surgeons who carry out the implants, grafting on of whiskers, etc, don't they have any doubts about doing these ops, ro do they just take the money and run?

Remember Dennis Smith from FT157:28?
ananova.com/news/story/sm_365440.html
LInk is dead. The MIA webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20010818125035/http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_365440.html

Here's the content from the MIA webpage ...

'Tiger man' wants fur graft
A San Diego computer programmer who has spent £100,000 on tattoos and plastic surgery to turn himself into a 'tiger' wants a fur graft.

Dennis Smith wants a fur graft (SAT.1/bl!tz)

Dennis Smith is tattooed from head to toe with orange and black stripes and his teeth have been filed to needle point.

He has also had latex whiskers implanted and surgery to his lips so he has a permanent snarl. He now wants a surgeon to graft tiger fur on to his skin, like a perma-wig.

Mr Smith, who has changed his name by deed poll to Cat Man, said: "I have a collection of old tiger pelts from the days of hunting. I want these grafted on to me. It will cost another $100,000 but will be worth it.

"When I have the coat of a tiger, I feel I will have reached my goal in life."

His fingernails have been crafted into sharp talons while his hands have tattooed markings like a tiger's paws. He says he feels like a tiger.

The short back-and-sides he sported at the University Of California has been replaced with a long orange mane. He has also swapped his glasses for green contact lenses.

He holds down a £80,000-a-year computer programming job which enables him to fund the surgery, the Daily Record reports.

He admitted: "Of course people stare at me when I walk down the street but that's the effect I desire. For so long I have equated myself with the tiger that I decided to change myself into one.

"It's the real me. So many men cross-dress without their partners knowing, or dress up and play cowboys or Civil War soldiers at weekends. Me, I'm a tiger all the time and I love it. I had my first tattoos done 20 years ago around my eyes and now my whole body is one pastiche of stripes and shading. I am really proud of it all."

Well, he's going to appear on a BBC1 programme called 'Obsessions' at 9pm on Thu. 22 August

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/tv/obsessions/programme2.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Justin - must make a note of that one.

I'm still worried, though, about his tiger skin grafts - won't the fur wear away with time? He'll look pretty motheaten after a couple of years . . .

Carole

Yeah, I'm not sure what a "perma-wig" is supposed to be. Is it like an all over hair weave or what?

Anyways, half an hour after that programme there is going to be a show on ITV at 10:30pm called 'The Unluckiest Faces In Britain'.

In this week's 'What's On TV' film-maker Nick O'Dwyer is quoted as saying: "We had to turn people away because they weren't ugly enough" and "You'll stop noticing their looks and grow to like them as people, ... that's the point- to take people who we might dismiss as freaks and make them recognisable and likeable."

O'Dwyer has previously made a documentary called 'The Fattest Men In Britain' which apparently "saw reviewers hating and praising it in equal degree."

i saw when they were implanting his "wiskers". they just fired up the screw studs and burned them into his up lips...ack!

there is also a woman who did the whole cat things too.

I didnt really know where to post this but still...
Did anyone see that program on Channel 5 last night on people who modify their bodies to look like animals or whatever? Ive always been fascinated by this and have read quite a lot about it (although would never do it myself) but whats everyone elses opinion? I cant see personaly why it matters what people do to themselves as long as its not done to offend others but I know there is a lot os hostility towards these people.

On that subject has anyone got any interesting Fortean tattoos??

In the greatest Fortean tradition, I had the world's largest invisible tattoo put all over my entire body, documenting the story of humanity.:p

no modification for me

I spent my enlistment in the US navy with-out one tattoo!! I just could'nt find one area of inperfection to cover -up!!

The guy on that programme who had his nose cut open with a scalpel by an ear-piercer, without anaesthetic....ew. I stopped watching at that point. :cross eye

I didn't see that particular programme but did see one on CH4 about plastic surgery. There was a guy on there who was obsessed with cats, so much so he was turning himself into one! He had the cats eye contacts and a tatto that covered his face. It was more tiger (A bit like Tony the Frosties cat.) than a domestic cat. He's also had implants in his cheeks at the front to give him that rounded face cat apperance, and had multipul piercings round that area ready to have bits of long plastic put in to mimic whiskers.
The thing I didn't get though, was that he had breasts! They looked like implants, totally protruding from his chest. I didn't know cats had breasts anyway, but even wierder was that nobody mentioned them! :confused:

Wintermoon said:
I didn't see that particular programme but did see one on CH4 about plastic surgery. There was a guy on there who was obsessed with cats, so much so he was turning himself into one! He had the cats eye contacts and a tatto that covered his face. It was more tiger (A bit like Tony the Frosties cat.)

i saw that too..odd thing was he didnt seem to know a lot about tigers realy.. and his house was full of soft toy tigers!...

Maybe he's part of a New Furry Underground....

:D

Actually, there was a guy like that on Ripley's Believe it or not (hosted by Dean Cain) where a guy got metal cat whiskers emplanted in his cheek (he can screw them out to sleep) and he was planning on having tiger fur surgicly transplanted on his body.

I think, because the human body is an amazing thing in it's own right, that it's kind of goofy to go into extreme body modifications. If anybody's read RE:Search's Body Art book, think about the picture of Sailor Sid the next time you want to feel ill... I think with the extremes come a self-hatred, or a desire to have what one cannot have.

What do people here think of Orlan, the French performance artist/body modifier? Here's a link to her site: http://www.cicv.fr/creation_artistique/online/orlan/

Wintermoon said:
There was a guy on there who was obsessed with cats, so much so he was turning himself into one

Would this be a fan of William Gibson's "Neuromancer"
trying to become a Panther Modern?

TVgeek

Hmm, Cruella D'Evil hairstyle and a Klingon forehead, or is that brick work? As a sinus suffer, it looks like it bloody hurts anyway.
What I want to know is do these people really think their tastes will never change? When I was a tean, up till my early twenties, I was obsessed with fictional vampires (I thought I'd better add fictional as I don't want want a fellow Fortean sceaming, 'But real ones are gross!' at me. ;) ). I wanted my teath filled like fangs. I also really wanted a tattoo and go as far as the chair (Was too chicken and didn't like where he placed the tracing anyway! :) ). I thank God I didn't do either. As I've gotten older I guess I just realised I had to be me to assert my idividuality.
I guess these people might be trying to live in a fantasy world to hide from the 'real' world (As in their real world, their personnal pains and issues.). The only way to really find out would be to interview one.

Going back to my earlier point on aging, I've seen Englands most tattooed older (And piecerd! Gulp! *Ewww!* ) woman and man. Not attractive and I think only done for the noteriety.

Sad. :rolleyes:

TVgeek said:
Would this be a fan of William Gibson's "Neuromancer"
trying to become a Panther Modern?

TVgeek

I don't mean to be mean, but he didn't seem to know too much about anything, just obsessed with cats. (Ok, so I was mean. ;) :D) No mention of the book was given.

Wintermoon said:
The thing I didn't get though, was that he had breasts! They looked like implants, totally protruding from his chest. I didn't know cats had breasts anyway, but even wierder was that nobody mentioned them! :confused:

Apparently he's suffered from cancer of the testicals and now he has a lack of male hormones - poor guy probably got neutered like a tomcat :(

sidecar_jon said:
i saw that too..odd thing was he didnt seem to know a lot about tigers realy.. and his house was full of soft toy tigers!...

That was on Ripley's believe it or not too, jon. I saw the bit where he was getting the bits between his nose and upper lip pierced so that he could have artificial whiskers inserted (he intended to take the whiskers out at night, like dentures!)

I love cats, and tigers, but God, I'd never try to look like one! It said on the Ripley's programme that his next move was to get a prosthetic tail attached, and they would somehow attach it to his nerves so that he could make it move slightly . . .

Carole

Well, perhaps there's your answer, James - banal inside, therefore they feel the need to be 'different' outside.

I'm sure that, given the choice, I'd rather take the opposite option . . .

Carole

Talking of 'older' (as mentioned by Wintermoon) -

Do people who get extensive tattooing/body piercing done imagine what they'll look like in their twilight years?

Might look cool/sexy on young, firm flesh (Aaaagh, cold shower, quick!) but in 30 or 40 years time - eeeugh. :imo:

James Whitehead said:
These people attract attention but why? They are uniformly banal
and hollow inside. :confused:

These people didn't seem to be "banal" or "hollow" to me - just seemed like people with a rather extreme hobby. There wasn't much delving into why they modified themselves in the programme.

My girlfriend has a pierced tongue, nipple and belly button and also one tattoo. The only thing I've ever seriously considered getting is a Toronto Maple Leafs logo on my arm but haven't gotten the nerve to do it yet ;) .

sureshot

I've always imagined that having one's tongue pierced would hurt like hell - I mean really hurt . . .

Carole

Nowadays people have gone in for all sorts of piercings, tattoos and body modifications. Something I haven't noticed yet: the lip disc like some of the Amazon indians wear.

Only a matter of time, I suppose.

Carole

Back