Books Of Note

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I think it's important to accept the puerile as long as your still able to act like an adult when needed. Not an instruction to anyone here, just my own preferred perspective.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member

GNC

King-Sized Canary
The Fellowship of Scottish Buses During Deregulation, The Two Scottish Buses During Deregulation, The Return of the Scottish Buses During Deregulation. That should do it.

No, I found it by chance while looking for E.F. Benson stories. I think the author must be a 70s-80s survivalist, 'prepper' or militiaman because I subsequently found a string of other titles by him. Things like 'How to assemble and maintain your arsenal' and 'Techniques for disabling Big Brother's armoured vehicles'.
There is a whole genre of this kind of thing - a lot of it associated with/spawned by magazines like Soldier of Fortune, and Lund and Brown's Paladin Press. To be fair to Paladin Press, they have apparently produced some books of genuine worth - but even some of their own authors admit to believing that the vast majority of their readership are a screaming bunch of Walts.

Hit Man: A Technical Manual for Independent Contractors, is one of their most infamous titles, having been cited in more than one murder related court case. Turns out that its author, Rex Feral, was actually a divorced mother of two who had originally submitted the book as a novel and got most of her technical knowhow from movies and books, or just invented it.

You couldn't make it up - well, unless you're Rex Feral.

Edit: Yup, seems Ragnar Benson's book is, as I suspected, a Paladin publication.

Some sample Paladin titles:

The Ancient Art of Strangulation.
Ragnar's Big Book of Homemade Weapons.
Techniques of Harassment.
The Revenge Encyclopedia.
Homemade C4 - A Recipe for Survival.
Ragnar's Guide to Home and Recreational Use of High Explosives.

(The prolific Mr Ragnar Benson's biography is very obscure - which suggests that he is either a highly trained military operative with experience of warzones throughout the world - the clandestine nature of his employment meaning that he needs to protect his identity. Or he's another massive Walt.)

Last edited:

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Jacob Rees-Mogg's widely ridiculed Victorians book has sold 734 copies in it's 1st week & reached the dizzy heights of 379th spot on Nielsen's UK book chart.

Still, he's done better than Ian Smith [that's his name - Duncan is his middle name which he inserts to make himself sound posher] whose novel The Devil’s Tune, in the same week in 2003 that he was deposed as Tory leader, sold 18 whole copies, a figure so dismal that it is possible even his mum didn’t buy one. (The “lumpen” thriller never cracked three figures, or made it to paperback.)

Gloucestrian

Devoted Cultist
Still, he's done better than Ian Smith [that's his name - Duncan is his middle name which he inserts to make himself sound posher]
While that may be his goal, surely it is just as likely that he uses it for "disambiguation" purposes. Ian Smith is hardly an uncommon name. There are a lot of Ian Smiths in politics, though the name does seem to be more common in the Labour Party.