Books Of Note

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Browsing titles on Hong Kong and came across this gloriously pulpy trash.

Based on the sample, I'm tempted to buy!

s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600.jpg

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
No idea about content, but this is also a grabber (read back cover for explanation of cover art!)

s-l1600-3.jpg s-l1600-6.jpg

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
I trust this is a technical term
Just training or "breaking them in" I suspect, though the word seems to have gone out of fashion.

The scene on the title-page is quite sweet, as the hunter seems about to share his lunch with one of the dogs*.

They appear to be celebrating a good "bag" but what on earth are they? Hopefully not badgers! :sherlock:

*On second thoughts, he may be demonstrating his skill at making the dog sit, instead of devouring its prey.

Did the publisher suggest the author could broaden the book's appeal by allowing for readers who aspire to have only a mediocre effect on their four-legged trainees.

Last edited:

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Here's some background ...

Kill Me In Tokyo-Earl Norman (Norman Thompson) (1958)
Posted on July 22, 2010 by vintage45

A forgotten P.I. series. That’s too bad because it’s a good one. Our hero is Burns Bannon, an American G.I. who becomes a detective by default. The opening book finds Bannon searching Tokyo’s red light district to find the karate killer of a young woman.

There are nine books in the series. All titles start with,”Kill Me.” The last one was,”Kill Me In Roppongi” (1967). They are definitely worth searching through the used book stores for copies.

Thanks to a comment I found out a series featuring Rick Shaw started and probably ended with “Hang Me In Hong Kong” in 1976. The female lead was Rococo Baroque. It was published in Tokyo by Jade Orient.
SOurCE: https://vintage45.wordpress.com/2010/07/22/kill-me-in-tokyo-earl-norman-1958/

There's an extensive summary of the characters and plot at:

https://books.google.com/books/about/Hang_Me_in_Hong_Kong.html?id=_GAzHQAACAAJ

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
Unfortunately it was behind the counter of my local newsagent, presumably waiting for collection by someone so I wasn't able to examine "200 Scottish Farmers" more closely. The cover had a photo of a slightly angry looking chap having his ear licked by a nice-looking coo.

https://www.sruc.ac.uk/info/120665/newsletters/1910/alumni_newsletter_spring_2018/3

Even better, it is the second in the series, following 300 Scottish Farmers!

it actually sounds quite interesting.

oxo66

Junior Acolyte
No idea about content, but this is also a grabber (read back cover for explanation of cover art!)

View attachment 17895 View attachment 17896
How did I miss this in amongst all the Dick Tingle stuff that was posted around that time. I've got that. Skin, not Dick Tingle.
It comes from the brief period late 80's when UK comics got grown up and serious. "Great! we can't go back to superheroes and gloss now" I thought...

Don't remember much about it but don't think it ends well for our thalidomide skinhead. I must re-read it.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Unfortunately it was behind the counter of my local newsagent, presumably waiting for collection by someone so I wasn't able to examine "200 Scottish Farmers" more closely. The cover had a photo of a slightly angry looking chap having his ear licked by a nice-looking coo.

https://www.sruc.ac.uk/info/120665/newsletters/1910/alumni_newsletter_spring_2018/3

Even better, it is the second in the series, following 300 Scottish Farmers!

it actually sounds quite interesting.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/200-Farmers-Scotland-further-afield/dp/1999949005
200 Scottish Farmers and Further AFIELD. Taking the piss there.

Apparently the original is out of print.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/300-Farmer...+scottish+farmers&qid=1574591010&sr=8-2-fkmr0

5EEB47A0-A9B3-4FBB-8E33-17D25DC4BD51.jpeg

DC7E042D-BB82-407F-8CD6-60914886A46A.jpeg

AmCuriousNJ

Devoted Cultist
Try this:

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/books/weird/?cm_mmc=nl-_-nl-_-UPwel17-h00-weirdbAM-_-b2cta&abersp=1

More noteworthy (and odd) books than you can shake a stick at, e.g.

How to Poo on a Date: The Lovers' Guide to Toilet Etiquette

Catflexing: The Catlovers Guide to Weight Training, Aerobics and Stretching

I actually have one of these books: Maverick Cats. It's actually about feral cats (as is mentioned in the subtitle). Not such an odd book (as AbeBooks would have you believe).
Some of the other books about Animals don't seem so odd:
Second-hand Parrots This is reportedly about "the pros and cons of adopting a bird that has had a previous owner". (Somewhat sad.)
And the one called Wildlife Contraception seems to have a logical topic (caring for wild Animals in captivity in zoos and aquariums, providing these Animals contraception to control their populations if needed). (Though it is probably best not to have Animals in captivity if possible.)
Rats for Those Who Care, according AbeBooks, "Introduces different varieties of rats, and discusses the care and feeding of rats kept as pets". Keeping Rats as Pets is (or was?) a trend in the USA.

Many of the rest of those books on the AbeBooks web page, are probably odd. (I haven't had the chance to check all of them, not sure if I will.)

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I like the vade mecum style here--it sounds very practical

Screenshot 2019-12-06 at 00.55.01.png

Have you ever wondered if you are going to hell? Many people are terrified about going to hell when they die. And for good reason. If hell is a fiery torture chamber where lost souls scream in agony for all eternity, everybody should be worried about meeting such a terrible fate. But is this really what the Bible teaches about hell? In What is Hell?, author J. D. Myers answers your most pressing questions about hell. After summarizing the three common views about hell, this book presents a fourth view. Myers defends this alternative view by showing how the concept of hell evolved over time, and then considers eight terms from Scripture that have traditionally been equated with hell. As you read, you will learn the truth about hell. You will discover what hell is, where hell is, how you can avoid going to hell, and how you can rescue people who are in hell. The book includes an Appendix which explains most of the key biblical texts that have traditionally been used to defend the doctrine of hell. Read this book to be delivered from both the fear and fire of hell.

Source:
AMAZON LINK

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
EQCHSxaW4AAq2hs.jpeg

The Girls Listened Intently. The wetlands were silver and shadow in the moonlight. The salt marsh grasses rustled. Out on the mudflats, curlews called mournfully. The Girl Shivered. The incoming tide trickled and lapped up hidden creeks. Soon the wildfowl would be winging down, the waders feeding and squabbling at the water's edge. The Girl Struggled. Despairingly, she pulled at the ropes that held her, naked and spreadeagled, a human sacrifice for the Crabs. Huge, eaten away by the mutating disease that doomed them, they were returning, dragging themselves out of the water, intent only on tearing apart and devouring their enemy: Man.

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
One of Smith's earlier books was called The Sucking Pit, if you were any doubt about literary preoccupations.

One of Smith's earlier books was called The Sucking Pit, if you were any doubt about literary preoccupations.
I reckon that's Cockerney rhyming slang:

Albert, how was that fish hook about dibs and dabs that you was having a butchers at the other day?

Sucking pit, my old china.