Books Of Note

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Browsing titles on Hong Kong and came across this gloriously pulpy trash.

Based on the sample, I'm tempted to buy!

s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600.jpg

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
No idea about content, but this is also a grabber (read back cover for explanation of cover art!)

s-l1600-3.jpg s-l1600-6.jpg

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
I trust this is a technical term
Just training or "breaking them in" I suspect, though the word seems to have gone out of fashion.

The scene on the title-page is quite sweet, as the hunter seems about to share his lunch with one of the dogs*.

They appear to be celebrating a good "bag" but what on earth are they? Hopefully not badgers! :sherlock:

*On second thoughts, he may be demonstrating his skill at making the dog sit, instead of devouring its prey.

Did the publisher suggest the author could broaden the book's appeal by allowing for readers who aspire to have only a mediocre effect on their four-legged trainees.

Last edited:

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Here's some background ...

Kill Me In Tokyo-Earl Norman (Norman Thompson) (1958)
Posted on July 22, 2010 by vintage45

A forgotten P.I. series. That’s too bad because it’s a good one. Our hero is Burns Bannon, an American G.I. who becomes a detective by default. The opening book finds Bannon searching Tokyo’s red light district to find the karate killer of a young woman.

There are nine books in the series. All titles start with,”Kill Me.” The last one was,”Kill Me In Roppongi” (1967). They are definitely worth searching through the used book stores for copies.

Thanks to a comment I found out a series featuring Rick Shaw started and probably ended with “Hang Me In Hong Kong” in 1976. The female lead was Rococo Baroque. It was published in Tokyo by Jade Orient.
SOurCE: https://vintage45.wordpress.com/2010/07/22/kill-me-in-tokyo-earl-norman-1958/

There's an extensive summary of the characters and plot at:

https://books.google.com/books/about/Hang_Me_in_Hong_Kong.html?id=_GAzHQAACAAJ