• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Boot Anomaly

Warchita

Fresh Blood
I have had a very strange experience this morning when I went to put on my boots. They are suede with a faux fur fabric lining and top trim and I have had them for years. They are super comfy and warm and I live in them over the cold months of the year. This morning however they felt different somehow, a bit strange. I realised that my right leg was colder than the other so I looked in the full length bedroom mirror and noticed that the design was slightly different on the right leg to the left. There was less fur trim at the top of the boot making the right boot shorter in length up my leg than the other. How could this be, I can't believe I just noticed this design fault after about three years of wearing these boots. It has freaked me out a bit.
Also I had another footwear occurrence of high strangeness last summer. I went to a family party and put on a pair of heals that I only wore on rare occasions as they were a bit high and black and white in colour so only went with one or two outfits I own. My sister commented that my shoes were too big for me and they did seem to be slipping up and down on my heals alot. By the end of the day my feet were very uncomfortable and I thought that there was no way I would wear them again, they were a size 5. I took them to a charity shop a few weeks later. That same summer when I bought a few new pairs of shoes and sandals for my holidays I found I had to buy size 4. I had always been a 5 yet suddenly I seemed to have gone down a shoe size overnight. I have since had to get rid of any size 5 footwear and going forward I am now a size 4.
Could these incidents be a fluke or is it the Mandela effect, or me going bonkers?

Attachments

• IMG_20190503_093128.jpg
    IMG_20190503_093128.jpg
    479.3 KB · Views: 27
It looks to me like when you put your foot into the right boot, you have pushed the inside lining downwards and into the boot. Which would make it feel strange around the foot and the toes and show less of the fur on the outside edge. Compare the insides - does the fur lining go further down inside in the right boot?

........That same summer when I bought a few new pairs of shoes and sandals for my holidays I found I had to buy size 4. I had always been a 5 yet suddenly I seemed to have gone down a shoe size overnight. I have since had to get rid of any size 5 footwear and going forward I am now a size 4.
Could these incidents be a fluke or is it the Mandela effect, or me going bonkers?

Just asking, could you have lost a little weight for any reason?

As one of the side-effects of weight-loss is a reduction in shoe size from losing mass around the foot itself, and the effect of a smaller body mass pressing down onto the foot causing the width and length of the foot to be a little less 'spread' a bit.

Just asking, could you have lost a little weight for any reason?

As one of the side-effects of weight-loss is a reduction in shoe size from losing mass around the foot itself, and the effect of a smaller body mass pressing down onto the foot causing the width and length of the foot to be a little less 'spread' a bit.
You beat me to it.

I've always found a huge variance in shoe size. Doc Martin's size 10 always fit me perfectly but now they are ever so slightly too big and the 9 and a half are way too small.

Different brands can be completely different sizes even if they are measured on the same scale. I have ranged from a 9 and a half to an 11 over the years all by the British scale. Feet swell up at different times of the day and feet supposedly get bigger and flatter the older you get.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I've always found a huge variance in shoe size. Doc Martin's size 10 always fit me perfectly but now they are ever so slightly too big and the 9 and a half are way too small.

Different brands can be completely different sizes even if they are measured on the same scale. I have ranged from a 9 and a half to an 11 over the years all by the British scale. Feet swell up at different times of the day and feet supposedly get bigger and flatter the older you get.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Even brands can vary dependant on where they were made and if they are using identical lasts.

Also, if the machinist makes a mistake and to correct it they snip some off, makes you think you have one foot smaller than the other

It's not unusual for one side of a body to be smaller than the other, depending on which is the dominant side, left or right. Check your hands -- is your dominant hand slightly thicker or stronger looking than the other?

Funnily enough I bought my umpteenth pair of Doc Martin Chelsea boots and found the size 6 I usually buy (yes, yes, I have tiny feet) was too big but amazingly they did a 5 1/2 which was ok. When I bought the next pair I asked for 5 1/2 and found they pinched, hence Back up to size 6.

Back