• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I noticed this morning the boss has started selling Messerschmit schnaps through our shop .. a bit distasteful I thought as a lot of Cromer was bombed during WW2 ... then I remembered we also sell Spitfire ale so if any customers complain (and they might here), I'll point out our more British option .. perhaps we should arrange them side by side on the shelf and see if anyone spots the 'joke'

messer-schmitt-herbal-liqueur-70cl_temp.jpg

spitfire-rw-bottle-570.png

Tally Ho !!

http://www.drinksupermarket.com/mes...C_n1UAYiBZKVJ6F26MT61OGuF3jAtNdQS8aApLk8P8HAQ

Last edited:
I've just been handed a bottle of 'alcohol free sparkling wine' (just to look at, they're not that stupid).

"The alcohol has been removed from this wine to create a refreshing drink."

So they make wine, then remove the interesting bit? I always assumed they just didn't bother with the fermentation.

(My mate who has the bottle has been tee-total for a year now, and the label actually says its alcohol content is 0.05% - he's gonna be wasted.)

Someone once gave me some bottles of gluwein or summat which I heated up and drank in the garden. Didn't fall over, didn't throw up, no hangover - yup, they were innocent spicy fruit punch.

I remember when Kaliber alcohol free beer first came out, it tasted like liquid bread but it's been improved on over the past three decades.

Cornwall rugby star Jack Nowell launching new ale with St Austell Brewery to raise funds for RNLI
By Tom_Gainey | Posted: January 03, 2017

Cornwall's Jack Nowell is about to launch a new ale in collaboration with St Austell Brewery to raise money for the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI).

The England and Exeter Chiefs star who grew up in Newlyn became St Austell Brewery's Charitable Trust ambassador earlier this year and was determined to create something for a charity close to his roots, leading to him using his name to raise funds for the lifeboat charity.

Cousin Jack, a traditional English pale ale, will be crafted on St Austell's small batch by Nowell alongside the company's award-winning brewing team and is set to launch in January, coinciding with the Six Nations Rugby Union Championships.
"This is one of those collaborations that just came together seamlessly," said St Austell brewing director Roger Ryman.

"With the strong connections that both we and Jack have with the RNLI, it made perfect sense to cement our new partnership with a brew that gave something back to the organisation that is so important to the Cornish way of life.
"The launch will give us the ideal opportunity to bring everyone together to celebrate the work of the RNLI and raise extra funds as well."
He added that the brew was well worth a try, not least because the brewery will donate 5p to the RNLI for every pint of Cousin Jack sold.

Patch Harvey, coxswain of the Penlee RNLI lifeboat based in Newlyn, added that the local community is "extremely proud" of Jack's achievements and described him as a "big hearted young man" that gives a lot back to the area.

etc...

http://www.cornwalllive.com/cornwal...nds-for-rnli/story-29997815-detail/story.html

Tim Sears who brews Helston's Blue Anchor beer Spingo to retire after 36 years
By G_WIlkinson | Posted: February 06, 2017

15840983-large.jpg

A youthful Tim Sears, pictured when he first began brewing Spingo at the Blue Anchor 36 years ago

The man behind the secret of Helston's favourite beer is calling last orders as he retires after 36 years.

Tim Sears has been brewing Spingo ale at The Blue Anchor pub for more than three decades. As he retires, his work will be continued by Gareth Bawden.

Tim announced his retirement in a post of Facebook, where he said: "The end of an era? Well it is for me. After nearly 36 years of being the brewer at The Blue Anchor, it is with great sadness that I have decided to retire.

"I have seen many changes during my time here, staff, customers and the pub itself. Staff changes over the years have been too many to mention individually. Customers have come and many familiar faces have gone to that great 'Blue' in the sky."

blueanchor2webzz.jpg

The Blue Anchor in Coinagehall Street in Helston is a popular traditional pub for visitors and locals.

Tim added: "In the pub, the side rooms have had multiple changes and uses, this is the third thatched roof, the third set of ladies toilets and the fourth brewery floor. The skittle alley has been built from the ruin that it was to the building you see today, but this is its second roof, after someone fell through the first one. The cellar and fermenting room are unrecognisable from the set-up in 1981.

"Perhaps the biggest change is the garden. Once No 52 became part of The Blue Anchor 'empire' the garden of that property quickly became part of the pub and the garden bar was built."

Tim said he has also enjoyed his 15 minutes of fame talking of the art of brewing on TV programmes in this country as well as in South Korea and Germany. He has conducted brewery tours in French and had visitors from Holland.

He added: "All this adds up to the great experience of being the brewer of that nectar known as Spingo. So, as I retire, I leave Gareth Bawden to continue the tradition of brewing at The Blue Anchor. To you all I say 'thank you' for an interesting and unforgettable experience. I raise my glass to all staff and customers, past and present, Cheers!"

blueanchor1web.jpg

http://www.cornwalllive.com/tim-sea...ter-36-years/story-30114936-detail/story.html

My Mum used to make elderberry champagne, it's gorgeous Dave .. I recommend you trying that one out next year. I can ask her how she did it if you want? ..

Elderberry is naturally sparkling so you don't have to do much just have a decent strong champagne yeast. You get a lesser sparkling variety with nettle as well which tastes quite lovely. The key is to make sure it's finished.

Elderberry is naturally sparkling so you don't have to do much just have a decent strong champagne yeast. You get a lesser sparkling variety with nettle as well which tastes quite lovely. The key is to make sure it's finished.

edit: It will also push wooden corks out so use champagne bottles.

When I was a kid, we made elderflower wine under the guidance of our Grandma.
We didn't need to add any yeast - the elderflower had wild yeast already living on it.
It came out really fizzy and was absolutely wonderful.

Elderflower has a really wonderful "nose." I always regret the fact that the only batch I made of it was too sweet for me to enjoy*. Luckily, I had a grateful, guzzling sister-in-law, who rated it excellent!

*I like to think I am a careful reader but the recipe-book I used hid the following information in the Preface:
"I give here the maximum amounts of sugar to be added. Those who prefer a drier wine should reduce the amounts by half or three-quarters." - well something to that effect. :eek:

I avoided making elderflower wine, because that reduced the number of elderberries available for elderberry wine later in the year.

My first batch of Denton Furtwangler is almost ready to go!

Sampled it last weekend, but it needs another week or so of carbonation.

It's an 8.2% double-hopped IPA, and it tastes great, just needs some more bubbles. I've been bitten by the brewing bug now, I'm really impressed by how good it is.

I may convert the garage into a microbrewery...

My own home-brew days, like many, I suspect, were horrendously crude. The object was to get as much alcohol out of sugar as possible, blessed by a token amount of malt syrup or apple concentrate to provide the alibi of flavour.

The deficiencies of the substance produced were obvious; it was used in combination with bottles of real ale etc. to give us glasses of just-about-drinkable off-your-head juice for pennies.

Coaxing up batches of stout and cider to around 12% was fairly normal. I'm just sorry for the friend-of-a-friend who decided to drive home after a "small one." Highly irresponsible rough-brewing! We should have clamped her! :drink:

I noticed this morning the boss has started selling Messerschmit schnaps through our shop .. a bit distasteful I thought as a lot of Cromer was bombed during WW2 ... then I remembered we also sell Spitfire ale so if any customers complain (and they might here), I'll point out our more British option .. perhaps we should arrange them side by side on the shelf and see if anyone spots the 'joke'

View attachment 3863
View attachment 3864

Tally Ho !!

http://www.drinksupermarket.com/mes...C_n1UAYiBZKVJ6F26MT61OGuF3jAtNdQS8aApLk8P8HAQ
Boozy dogfight on the shelves while the shop is closed... Nice, indeed!

Boozy dogfight on the shelves while the shop is closed... Nice, indeed!

One of my MA criminology profs was German and as it was World Cup time, I was able to bring up the execrable but topical habit of England fans waving inflatable Spitfires at the matches against Germany.
The other students were aghast at my rudeness but of course she loved it.

The Krauts have LONG forgiven us. ;)

A festival solely dedicated to RUM is coming to Plymouth
By RDoddHerald | Posted: February 17, 2017

Rum lovers are in for a treat this summer with a whole festival dedicated to the spirit set to arrive in Plymouth.
Almost 800 people have already indicated their interest on social media for the event, due to take place on August 19.
Attendees will have access to the widest selection of rum in the UK with varieties from across the world on offer from the West Indies, Cuba, South America, and The United States on offer.

The festival, organised by the creators of Plymouth Gin Festival, will also feature live reggae bands, distillers, trade stands, and free samples.
There will also be talks on rum from some of the finest Rum producers, cocktail demos, and an indoor Caribbean rum beach party!

Rum festivals will be taking place across the UK with events planned in Southampton, Bristol, Cardiff, Sheffield, London, and Leamington Spa.

The festival is an over 18s event so ID will be required.
Plymouth Rum Festival takes place at Plymouth Guildhall on August 19 between midday and 11pm. For more information visit rumfestivals.com

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/a-festival-solely-dedicated-to-rum-is-coming-to-plymouth/story-30144768-detail/story.html

Read more at http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/a-f...0144768-detail/story.html#pp687CIyPz6ZCRRm.99

Read more at http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/a-f...0144768-detail/story.html#pp687CIyPz6ZCRRm.99

Interesting bit of local history:
A pint of original resurrected at the Ellis Brewery tap
6212769.jpg

Chris Stephens, Darren Norbury, Cornish Arms landlady Claire Williams and Paul Stephens

Helen Dale, Reporter

Revellers enjoying the recent feast of entertainment at the Cornish Arms Fools Festival in Hayle might have been forgiven for thinking that the bottles of old Ellis Original on the bar were all part of the fun – it being April and all.

It is well known that the last drop of Ellis was brewed back in 1934 when the family-owned brewery became part of a larger Cornish family outfit, St Austell Brewery. While MD Christopher Ellis went on to join the board at St Austell, the distinctive yellow and red labels of the Ellis ales were consigned to history.

However, those lucky enough to try a sample of the beer down at the Cornish Arms would have realised they were in fact the real deal, brewed to mark a special occasion in the modern history of the Ellis family, the marriage of Christopher Ellis’ great great grandson and namesake, Chris Stephens.

Crafted by St Austell’s brewing director Roger Ryman on the Small Batch Brewery after an original recipe gleaned from the pages of the historic Ellis journals, the ale went down a storm at the reception to celebrate the marriage of Chris and Rachel at St Peter’s Church at Ugborough.

However, having enjoyed the special brew on his wedding day, Chris decided it was only fair that he and his father Paul should take some bottles back to the Cornish Arms - the original Ellis Brewery Tap - to celebrate its historic link to the family during the pub’s weekend festival.

The moment was a particularly poignant one for Devoran-based Paul, who has spent many years working to preserve and keep the heritage of the Ellis family alive, whose business interests started in Hayle as far back as 1815.

Sampling the ale in its historic home, Chris said, “We were absolutely thrilled when Roger agreed to brew the Ellis Original for our special day. I think everyone was amazed at how good it tasted and it just felt right to bring it back down here with my father to celebrate a little bit of our family history.”

Landlady Claire Williams, who took a break from getting the pub ready for the weekend’s successful festivities, was joined by Cornish beer writer and journalist Darren Norbury in giving a massive thumbs up to the brew, while samples were also left for locals to try as part of the pub’s wider beer festival.

Commenting on the brew, Mr Ryman said: “It’s always a treat to be able to use historic recipes and to try to make them work in the modern day. Having the Small Batch allows us to be creative and work on special brews like this one and, while we have brewed one or two Ellis ales in the past to mark anniversaries, it’s a real pleasure to be able to give someone such a fantastic gift on their wedding day.”

While the old Ellis Original was a one-off, spares were available through the brewery’s online shop and from the visitor centre which sold out in record time.

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/new...resurrected_at_the_Ellis_Brewery_tap/?ref=rss

Inside the hidden gin distillery in Saltash you've never heard of
By C.Turner Herald | Posted: April 08, 2017
Video: 2m 6s.

Gin is the tipple exciting everyone's lips these days.
And now you can get your hands on a truly hand crafted gin with a huge Cornish history thanks to Robert Cuffe and John Hall, who have revived the tasty spirit from a 1920s recipe handed down from Rob's grandfather.

Nestled away in an industrial estate in Saltash is Trevethan Gin – the Cornish distillery was embarked on by the duo in a twist of fate.
Having worked together beforehand, keen chemist John mentioned to engineer Rob that he wanted to get into spirit distilling – which is when Rob mentioned that his grandfather, Norman Trevethan, used to make 'bathtub gin' when he was a chauffeur for the Earl and Lady St Germans.

A partnership was struck up by the pair who spent 18 months perfecting Norman's original Cornish recipe before they became fully operational in their industrial unit in October 2015.
Rob, who lives in Plymouth, spent time learning about Norman's recipe from his mum and sister who use to go out picking the botanicals for his gin.

The most impressive part of Trevethan Gin is its story and deep routed Cornish history – to this day, elderflower and gorse flowers are plucked from John's fiancee's farm in Cornwall and the water used in the distilling process comes from a Cornish spring a few miles down the road.

31-year-old John also creates the batches by hand using a huge Portuguese copper still named after his grandmother, Doris.
Now, Trevethan's trade has excelled, with the business partners seeing between 300-350 bottles produced weekly which are shipped across the globe to restaurants and bars as far as Australia and America.

Trevethan Gin is bold in flavour with subtle citrus and floral notes – the recipe includes the usual suspects of juniper, coriander, cassia and angelica along with some less familiar botanicals like cardamom, orange peel, lemon peel and vanilla.
The vanilla gives a soft and oily texture on the pallet and the gin is finished off with the Cornish elderflower and gorse flower.

From the charging of the still, the measuring of the botanicals, right the way through to the filling and labelling of the bottles, it is all done with love within the small scale operation of just five people.
Rob, the youngest grandson of Norman Trevethan, said: "Having a bit of Norman still here [in the recipe] cements the family name in history.

"We wanted the gin process to be very simple – this method has been used for thousands of years.
"Instead of going to an industrial method when we grow we would prefer to use more copper stills and stay true to the product by keeping it organic and independent.
"There are quite a few 'pop up' gins as we call them, which have a sexy name and logo but disappear after five years.
"We're lucky enough to have deep Cornish roots and something traditional."

The craft gin market is growing, 57-year-old Rob explained, and it is their aim to be recognised as one of the top 10 gins in the world and for the brand to stand the test of time.

Future plans for the distillers including launching miniatures of the delightful tipple this summer, as well as setting up a shop on the site where head distiller John can give tours, talks and gin making lessons.
But ultimately, John would love to expand into whiskey, too.

Thanks to its sleek art-deco style branding and of course, the contents inside the 70cl bottle, the likes of Jamie Oliver and St Austell Brewery are stocking and selling the craft gin along with many other eateries and bars.

You can find out where to get your hands on a bottle of Cornish Trevethan Gin at www.trevethandistillery.com.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/ins...ave-heard-of/story-30253874-detail/story.html

Plymouth gin is well known, and I have visited their distillery, but I never knew there was a Cornish gin! I may treat myself to a bottle if a suitable occasion arises! :)

One for motor-bike fans:
Norman_Trevethan.png

Norman Trevethan​

Monks who make Buckfast tonic wine linked to violent crime in Scotland should be stripped of charitable status, say campaigners.

The National Secular Society says the beverage made at Buckfast Abbey in Devon is harmful.

Buckfast Abbey Trust does not pay tax on the income because it is a charity, which the society claims is an "abuse of the charitable system".

The trust said it was surprised at the complaint.

More on the calls for charitable status to be stripped, and other Devon news

The trust made a record £8.8m last year from sales of the caffeine-fuelled Buckfast wine.

The society has called on the Charity Commission to remove the abbey trust's charitable status "unless they change their activities". ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-39555998

Especially for Easter:
Last Supper: What wine was served at Jesus and the Apostles' final meal?
Experts have tried to answer the question: what would Jesus drink?
Kashmira Gander
Thursday 13 April 2017 14:50 BST

The Bible offers a pretty comprehensive answer to the question ‘WWJD?’: what would Jesus do? But, as Christians observe Easter and the Last Supper another question arises: what would Jesus drink?

To answer this question, the location and timing of the final meal that Jesus had with his disciples before he was crucified is key. And three of four of the accounts of Jesus’ life in the Bible - known as the Gospels - suggest that it took place on the last Thursday celebration of Passover in around AD 30, Father Daniel Kendall, Professor of Theology and Scripture at the University of San Francisco told wine app Vivino.

“Unlike John the Baptist, Jesus drank wine,” explains Father Kendall, adding: “From the descriptions it was most likely a Seder meal. Since it was and is the most important of Jewish feasts, wine would have been part of the festivities.”

While grape varieties may not have been named and identified as they are now, wine had been made in this part of the Middle East since around 4000 BC.
Archaeological evidence suggests that around the time of the last supper, rich, concentrated wines were popular, says Dr Patrick McGovern, Adjunct Professor of Anthropology at the University of Pennsylvania and director of Biomolecular Archaeology Project for Cuisine, Fermented Beverages and Health at the University of Pennsylvania Museum in Philadelphia.

In Judah more specifically - near Jerusalem where the Last Supper is said to have taken place - archaeologists have found a jar inscribed with: “wine made from black raisins”. This means that winemakers may have used grapes dried on the vine or in the sun on mats to create sweet, thick drinks. At sites nearby in the region, jars labelled “smoked wine” and “very dark wine” have also been found.

While it was common to water down wine at the time, there was a taste in Jerusalem for rich, concentrated wine, according to Dr McGovern.
Spices and fruits - including pomegranates, mandrakes, saffron and cinnamon - were used to flavour such wines, and tree resin were added to help preserve them. So, the wine drank at the Last Supper, then, might resemble the mulled wine some of us drink at Christmas.

Today, comparable bottles would include Amarone, which is made in Northern Italy with grapes dried on straw mats.
While it’s unclear exactly which wine Jesus drank at the last supper, Dr McGovern jokes: “If someone can find me the Holy Grail and send it to my lab, we could analyse it and tell you.” :p

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...iracle-blood-transubstantiation-a7681516.html

Rats 'drink seized alcohol in India's Bihar'

Police in the eastern Indian state of Bihar say rats have consumed thousands of litres of confiscated alcohol.

The state banned the sale and consumption of alcohol last year. Since then police have seized more than 900,000 litres.

Patna city's top police official, Manu Maharaj, said he was told by police inspectors on Tuesday that much of that liquor had been lost to rats.

Police have now ordered an inquiry to examine these claims.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-39814446?ocid=socialflow_twitter

"Patna city's top police official, Manu Maharaj, said he was told by police inspectors on Tuesday that much of that liquor had been lost to rats.

Police have now ordered an inquiry to examine these claims."

How many legs did those rats have? :twisted:

Back