• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I'll give that one a miss.

The bar where my daughter works are currently experimenting with a Gin and Kale cocktail. I have not offered to taste test.

We're all doomed!

• U.S. PIRG tested 20 beers and wines, including organics, and found Roundup's active ingredient in almost all of them.
  • A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
  • Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
If there were a Hall of Fame for chemicals people worry about, it's likely that Monsanto's weedkiller Roundup would sit near or at the top of that dark pantheon. It's been linked to cancers, diabetes, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, liver disease, kidney disease, birth defects and more. On top of that, many believe it's what's been killing off the world's bees, vital participants in the human food chain.

Now, research just published in February by the education group U.S. PIRG, illumines that the active ingredient in Roundup, glyphosate, may be impacting humans routinely via our drinking habits. In the group's study, 20 beers and wines, including some organic beverages, were tested for the presence of glyphosate. It was found in 19 of them.

https://bigthink.com/surprising-science/roundup-beer-wine?rebelltitem=1#rebelltitem1

For a limited time* American adults can revert to their childhoods with a sip of a specialty beer brewed to taste like their favorite candied breakfast cereal.

* Seems like the end time, so it's probably a good thing it's limited ...

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/02/26/Cereal-inspired-beer-brewed-with-marshmallows/3141551198010/
American craft brewing culture is very faddy, plus small brewers are always looking to do something new and original. Rather than get good at actually making beer, if you catch my drift. I guess there's too much competition - people wouldn't even notice an excellent lager in a field of thousands of other lagers. Seeing as 'breakfast stout' is a thing for a while, this one doesn't surprise me.

On a more experimental level, I've seen people online making 'beer' using breakfast cereal, gingerbread, you name it... https://www.reddit.com/r/holdmywort/

I'm guessing fans of that already pour whisky on their cereal every morning...
Doesn't everybody put vodka on their Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs? Adults, I mean, of course.

Barnaul Bondage Beer

A beer bottle label has caused a row in Russia over its use of sado-masochistic imagery, exacerbated by the decision of a state agency to run an online poll for or against it.

The Kopytov Brewery in Barnaul, a city in the Altai region of Siberia, launched its new Pryanik Imperial Stout with a stylised close-up of a woman with a ball-gag in her mouth, designed to look like a traditional Russian pryanik honey cake, Komsomolskaya Pravda newspaper reports. The brewery's Instagram account lauds the craft beer as an "aromatic tsunami of cinnamon, clove, anise, black pepper and juniper, just like a real pryanik - but damned alcoholic".

But Yuliya Shlyakhova, a fashion designer formerly of Barnaul but now living in St Petersburg, complained to the Anti-Monopoly Service that the image "displays violence towards women, and is obscene and offensive".

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-47633307

I was tempted to pick up a jam jar of 35% moonshine the other day that Morrison's supermarket have started selling, apple pie flavour .. then I noticed the price was £17.50 ..

amoonshine01.jpg

amoonshine02.jpg

I was tempted to pick up a jam jar of 35% moonshine the other day that Morrison's supermarket have started selling, apple pie flavour .. then I noticed the price was £17.50 ..
Fuck that... in the US I tried lots of commercial 'moonshine' and the real, illegal deal and I tell you that fruit flavoured stuff in a jar is not worth it.

Fuck that... in the US I tried lots of commercial 'moonshine' and the real, illegal deal and I tell you that fruit flavoured stuff in a jar is not worth it.
I figured as much, as if Morrison's supermarket in the UK would be selling genuine illegal moonshine ..

What does the nasty stuff taste like? .. I'm imaging cheap vodka mixed with gin or similar?

I'm slightly worried that my Belgian beer supplies will dry up.

That is really weird. Because the vast majority of booze we consume is brewed in the UK, USA and Australia. So overall it is likely to get cheaper unless you are the sort of snob that demands French wine.
I don't buy that French wine. The stuff they sell to us isn't the best - they keep that for domestic consumption.

Most wines taste exactly the same. It's only the labels that are different.

then I noticed the price was £17.50 ..

I had also noticed these novelty jars in the last couple of years. Morrisons seem to have been stung, acquiring pallets of unshiftable dreck.

Even their reduced prices have been ridiculous, daunting any curiousity. As your picture reveals, the jars contain just 35cl.

As the Jewish lady said at breakfast, "It's terrible and so little of it!" :dunno:

That is really weird. Because the vast majority of booze we consume is brewed in the UK, USA and Australia. So overall it is likely to get cheaper unless you are the sort of snob that demands French wine.

I dunno, I think it was anticipating a hard brexit, in which case tariffs could apply, making the price increase..

Been into Bourbons for some time now.....so far my favorite is Blanton's.....but also like Basil Hayden and Woodford Reserve.....over the last decade or so bourbons shave become popular again. But most of the people I know drink basic beer or vodka.
But a few of my friends and I really enjoy the various craft beers available these days.
1554223844048.png

British manufacturers could step in to fill the gap in the market. How about that.

There wouldn’t be a gap. France’s economy is cratering now. If they cut off our (booze) nose to spite their (political) face, they’d be reduced to cannibalism in a month.

maximus otter

Last edited:
One day long ago, I was looking for some cheap wine. The store was out of my usual, so I tried a bottle of Beringer Chardonnay. It was absurdly cheap, like less than $3 if memory serves. I liked it a lot, so it became my favorite wine. Soon, though, it got "discovered" and the price went up to $5, then $8, and when it got to $12 I just stopped buying it. I still like it, but haven't had any in quite a while. I used to live near one of those big booze stores the size of a supermarket, and it would be on sale now and then for $7 or something.

There wouldn’t be a gap. France’s economy is cratering now. If they cut off our (booze) nose to spite their (political) face, they’d be reduced to cannibalism in a month.

maximus otter

They won't do that but the government will slap extra excise duty on it and give a perfectly reasonable gobbledygook excuse for doing so. It's necessary to protect Buckfast!

I dunno, I think it was anticipating a hard brexit, in which case tariffs could apply, making the price increase..

Tariiffs apply now to anything acquired outside the EU. That's the whole purpose of the 'common market' - to make conditions favourable for things generated within it as opposed to without. But let's not get political, the truth is no-one knows exactly what will happen.

Still investigating different bourbons......this one is nice also...
1554403870825.png

Wild Turkey is pretty good, although I'm something of a novice on Bourbons.

I was unwinding with Armstrong and Miller on telly at my former home - there was a sketch with Armstrong trying to escape a dystopian nightmare as the only sober person in a world where everyone had suddenly become drunk.
He ran across a field, turned into my top garden and started hammering on the neighbour's door at no. 37.
It was opened by Ben Miller.
WTF - I did a check out of the window.
I found the clip (starts at 1:28)

I was unwinding with Armstrong and Miller on telly at my former home - there was a sketch with Armstrong trying to escape a dystopian nightmare as the only sober person in a world where everyone had suddenly become drunk.
He ran across a field, turned into my top garden and started hammering on the neighbour's door at no. 37.
It was opened by Ben Miller.
WTF - I did a check out of the window.
I found the clip (starts at 1:28)

Hahaha, brilliant!

Back