• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Wetherspoons are always good for a cheap pint, if you dont mind drinking in their soulless pubs
The one on Concert Square in Liverpool used to be a bit exciting on a Friday night - music and what I can only call dirty dancing.

It depends, I like to be able to hear what people are saying. Many pubs play loud music to get you to drink instead of talking. It's different if you're going to a pub to specifically hear music.
Yes, I prefer to go to a pub to have conversation.
I remember in my 30s going to various pubs with my workmates after work. They'd drag me to one particular place that had the loudest music in the city. It was so loud, we'd have to shout in each other's ears to communicate. Other than that, all we could do was stand around staring and downing pints. Ghastly.

In case you're looking for a new summer-themed libation ... Or a gift for a beer drinker you really, really hate ...

FULL STORY: https://www.wearecentralpa.com/news/sheetz-to-launch-strawberry-and-banana-milkshake-beer/

I've had "hipster" stouts that have been described as strawberry and or vanilla flavoured which have been lovely, can't stand IPAs though, at least not the new hipster-y ones.

Wetherspoons are always good for a cheap pint, if you dont mind drinking in their soulless pubs

I can't do a pub with no music.

There are three things in favour of Wetherspoons (and many more against) for me: space - you can often find a table, cheap drinks - the most obvious and in bigger ones there's a good choice of ales and proper ciders, and, finally - no music. I'm indifferent to music in pubs, I like it on the rare occasions they play unusual stuff (Metal, Jazz, Indie, Folk) but I go the pub to talk, not have to shout over the PA. In the worst cases it's some godawful bar, like All Bar One or even an independent one that "aspires" to be the same thing which is literally blaring out shitty pop music, be it contemporary or past. At that volume it wouldn't matter what was being inflicted on punters but the fact that it is usually the disposable detritus of thus or other eras just seems to add insult to injury.

Yes a lot are soulless and decor plain like a bit up from a sociial club but been to quite a few which the buildings have been restored beatiufly.
Opps double post.
I have nothing against the buildings themselves, its just the atmosphere in most if not every Wetherspoons ive been in, they are at best, somewhere to go for an afternoon pint, a cheap and filling lunch or to meet up with friends before moving on to a proper pub, there is a Wetherspoons in Llandudno that is in an old restored theatre and its beautiful.
The Palladium Llandudno

download (3).jpeg
20170328-205749-largejpg.jpg
llandudno_0584  COPY.jpg

I have time for Weatherspoons. Every single time I've been harrassed by fellow customer in Weatherspoons the staff have moved in quickly and ejected the perp. I reckon we are about into double figures and across Scotland and England.

Take the "being harrassed" as happening across all pubs and you'll see how impressive that record is.

I have nothing against the buildings themselves, its just the atmosphere in most if not every Wetherspoons ive been in, they are at best, somewhere to go for an afternoon pint, a cheap and filling lunch or to meet up with friends before moving on to a proper pub, there is a Wetherspoons in Llandudno that is in an old restored theatre and its beautiful.
The Palladium Llandudno

View attachment 40074View attachment 40075View attachment 40076
Thats lovely but I often wonder if Weatherspoons resemble the old Beer halls of the 1700s or did they exist ?

Manchester - needless to say - has several. I like the Moon Under Water*, on Deansgate, which is a barrel-ceiling ex-cinema, previously theatre. Not nearly so stunning as the Llandudno one pictured above!

The one at Piccadilly is a brown nightmare of a place: it must have the highest-ever ratio of toilet-users to paying-customers of any bar in the country!

Trouble is that you stand a better chance of getting a fresh pint in them than anywhere else. :crazy:

*This one breaks their usual rule and has - or had - loud music at the weekends! :(

The Palladium Llandudno

Love how the cardboard cut outs(?) In the boxes look like old fashioned ghouls... or have you just caught on camera real :litg:?!

Worst thing about 'spoons is that they've started putting calorie counts on the menu. Devastating.

Manchester - needless to say - has several. I like the Moon Under Water*, on Deansgate, which is a barrel-ceiling ex-cinema, previously theatre. Not nearly so stunning as the Llandudno one pictured above!

The one at Piccadilly is a brown nightmare of a place: it must have the highest-ever ratio of toilet-users to paying-customers of any bar in the country!

Trouble is that you stand a better chance of getting a fresh pint in them than anywhere else. :crazy:

*This one breaks their usual rule and has - or had - loud music at the weekends! :(
Is that because it used to be a Lloyds chain which was part of Spoons ?

Brighouse wetherspoons is a nice building. Not sure if it used to be a church or a theatre.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 11
"The Full House" 'spoons in Hemel Hempstead used to be a bingo hall, but before that it was a cinema.
It's got quite a character.
I used to go there on a weekend when I lived in the area.
1622470337596.png

1622470374765.png

1622470427799.png

The Palladium Llandudno

They should had the boxes as sitting area ?

Germany 'repatriates' its army beer from Afghanistan.

"Germany has announced it will fly more than 22,500 litres of beer home from Afghanistan, as Nato forces prepare to withdraw.

Commanders had recently banned soldiers from drinking amid growing violence in Afghanistan ahead of the withdrawal.

Local forces were unable to sell the alcohol due to religious and cultural differences in Afghanistan.

A defence ministry spokeswoman said on Monday that they had found a civilian contractor to repatriate the drinks."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57386704

In an attempt to protect domestic wine producers Russia implemented a law reserving the name "champagne" for Russian sparkling wines (which are locally known as "champagne", too). Shipments of the expensive French version have been suspended pending attempts to make sense of the new law.
Bubbly supply halted after Moscow says champagne is Russian

For most aficionados, a sparkling wine can be called champagne only if it comes from the region of France with that name and is made under certain regulations. A new Russian law makes the counter-claim that the word can be used only for Russian wine.

The law has sparked controversy and the renowned winemaker Moet-Hennessy said Monday it was suspending champagne shipments to Russia. The law that was adopted on Friday allows the term to used only for “Russian champagne.”

Since Soviet times, champagne — “shampanskoye” in Russian — has been used as a generic term for a wide range of sparling wines, some of which contradict champagne’s luxury image by selling for as little as 150 rubles ($2) a bottle. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/moscow-europe-russia-lifestyle-business-2d7e2c23883e8bb339dbc009b095e991

I helped out my neighbour with some decorating the other day (see 'what have you been doing today' thread), i told her i didnt want anything for doing it, but yesterday she knocked on my door with a 24 pack of beer for me. I told her she shouldnt have but she insisted.

I helped out my neighbour with some decorating the other day (see 'what have you been doing today' thread), i told her i didnt want anything for doing it, but yesterday she knocked on my door with a 24 pack of beer for me. I told her she shouldnt have but she insisted.

Did they last you all day, or did you need to go out for more?

Back