• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I was unwinding with Armstrong and Miller on telly at my former home - there was a sketch with Armstrong trying to escape a dystopian nightmare as the only sober person in a world where everyone had suddenly become drunk.
He ran across a field, turned into my top garden and started hammering on the neighbour's door at no. 37.
It was opened by Ben Miller.
WTF - I did a check out of the window.
I found the clip (starts at 1:28)

So you were drunk then?

MP Dianne Abbot photographed dinking a can of Mojito on a London train which has amusingly actually had a positive effect on her image what with her also using public transport. "I've never felt more represented" wrote one person with others writing that drinking crafty alcohol on a train is about as British as it gets.

next week: Theresa May slams a Jeagar bomb in Morrison's café ..

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...ll-it-noble/ar-BBW7wdS?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=TSHDHP

Last edited:
MP Dianne Abbot photographed dinking a can of Mojito on a London train which has amusingly actually had a positive effect on her image what with her also using public transport. "I've never felt more represented" wrote one person with others writing that drinking crafty alcohol on a train is about as British as it gets.

next week: Theresa May slams a Jeagar bomb in Morrison's café ..

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...ll-it-noble/ar-BBW7wdS?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=TSHDHP
She's perfectly within her rights to drink such a cocktail. However, it won't do her diabetes or her maths ability any favours.

I was unwinding with Armstrong and Miller on telly at my former home - there was a sketch with Armstrong trying to escape a dystopian nightmare as the only sober person in a world where everyone had suddenly become drunk.
He ran across a field, turned into my top garden and started hammering on the neighbour's door at no. 37.
It was opened by Ben Miller.
WTF - I did a check out of the window.
I found the clip (starts at 1:28)

Had a slightly similar but much less impressive experience myself -

In about 1978 in the Liverpool Arms in Conwy, north Wales, I noticed a calendar on the wall with a photo of a window area of a pub. It showed a table set out with typical pub food and oilskin coats and hats draped over the chairs. The Lifeboatmen's lunch, y'know.

Glancing away I saw the exact window area. The photo had been taken there for one of the annual Lifeboat charity calendar's pages.
A proper double-take!

The Arms was given a big print of the photo. A year or so ago when Techy and I visited it was still on display. I may take a snap of it next time we're over.

Except that drinking alcohol on Transport for London trains has been banned since 2008.

Not a good look for a woman who - if Labour won an election - would be the Home Secretary.

maximus otter
Oh dear! Didn't know that.
Tsk! It's now a matter of public record that she has broken the law...

Is it a law or a railway by-law? Could a train guard/conductor give you an on the spot fine?
From that link supplied by Maximus:
Both the Metropolitan Police Service and British Transport Police will support TfL staff in enforcing this ban. Any person suspected of committing a public disorder offence in refusing to comply with this ban may therefore be arrested

So if they stop drinking the booze then that might be it.

Well at least I've gotten her to stop drinking Buckfast on trains. Although a focus group suggests that might lose some Punk votes.
There would certainly be votes lost from the 'homeless Glaswegian' contingent.

It is particularly popular among the homeless Glaswegians. I wasn't making that sh*t up.
Was at Loch Ness with wife and a friend. We all realised we had never tried Buckfast and the local garage had it so a bottle was purchased. As we finished the assistant said hello it’s Dr X isn’t it? Turns out she was a student at our friends university, where she presumably told everyone he’s a secret Buckie drinker...

Breaking my own rules time as it's still the hols...
I bought a little taster pack of Tiptree fruit gin. 4 little bottles in various flavours.
Just now tried the English Strawberry gin - not bad. It's pretty smooth.

Was at Loch Ness with wife and a friend. We all realised we had never tried Buckfast and the local garage had it so a bottle was purchased. As we finished the assistant said hello it’s Dr X isn’t it? Turns out she was a student at our friends university, where she presumably told everyone he’s a secret Buckie drinker...

this is brilliant :D

You bought liquor at a garage? Was it moonshine?

My in-laws stay near Buckfast Abbey in the SW of England.

They often buy Buckie for special occasions. Mr Frideswide and I often have to speak sternly to each other to avoid corpsing at dinner :)

I've actually seen Buckfast in a pharmacy. What does it taste like? I imagine it tasting like the nasty sweet stuff I drank as a teen, which I would only drink now if I was already drunk.

It's an unexceptional red wine! But the caffeine doesn't half give you a buzzzzzzzzzz! :)

Isn't it a sweet, fortified wine - like Green Ginger Wine or Vermouth?

Yes, sweet rather than dry but it's not like cough syrup, it's definitely a red wine. If you see what I mean?

Back