• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Oh dear. Someone will have to buy another brand for a while.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

The Jim Beam warehouse fire is still burning. This is the result of a decision to burn off as much of the ethanol as possible to minimize additional leakage of booze residue into the nearby Kentucky River. A massive amount of the bourbon dropped into the warehouse's foundations had already entered the river, as the photo accompanying this news article illustrates ...
Decision on extinguishing Jim Beam fire a 'day or two' away
The fire that destroyed a massive Jim Beam warehouse filled with aging bourbon in Kentucky continued to burn Thursday as officials said the decision on whether to extinguish is still a day or two away.

Woodford County Emergency Management Director Drew Chandler said in a telephone interview the only thing left burning is ethanol fumes. Officials believe letting the fumes burn will have less environmental impact than spraying the fire with water, which could wash the bourbon into a nearby creek that flows into the Kentucky River.

An unknown amount of bourbon has already entered the water and was clearly visible on the Kentucky River on Wednesday. Officials from the Environmental Protection Agency have been on the scene since Thursday to help assess and contain the damage.

No one was injured in the blaze that erupted late Tuesday in the warehouse near the Woodford-Franklin county line, where about 45,000 barrels of bourbon were stored. It sent flames that could be seen for miles shooting into the night sky and generating so much heat that firetruck lights melted. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.apnews.com/925b0c7bced74794b9d7942ad1339369

Well....can't say I drink Jim Beam...I usually go with Basil Hayden.... or Blanton's..when I can get it.
Since it's summer and hot.....been drinking a good deal of Sam Adams Summer Ale...
1562353677959.png

Well....can't say I drink Jim Beam...I usually go with Basil Hayden.... or Blanton's..when I can get it.
Since it's summer and hot.....been drinking a good deal of Sam Adams Summer Ale...
View attachment 18611

Is that available in the UK? I've never heard of it - and I've tried a lot of beers (839 unique brews, according to my Untappd profile).

Is that available in the UK? I've never heard of it - and I've tried a lot of beers (839 unique brews, according to my Untappd profile).
That's more beers than I've had in my life!

I really don't now...it's a summer seasonal wheat ale....only available until late September in the US....but Sam Adams is a big company these days.
I've been drinking that one since about 2011...my son in law introduced me to it while on vacation in Minnesota.
I also like Allagash White from Maine....another wheat beer. I look for mostly odd craft beers these days....drink a fair amount of 3 Floyds from my area...but I will have an old standard now and then like Bass, Newcastle, or even Guinness.
I like most kinds of beer...but not the real hoppy ones with IBU. . I suppose I've tried over 100 distinct kinds....but 839 (one off or regular produced beers..?)....hell I didn't even know there were that many beers made....unless one counts beers only made once.....but then these days there are so many breweries.
What are some of your all time favorites.?
;)

Last edited:
I really like Leinenkugel's grapefruit shandy. I don't usually go in for gimmicks in beer or in general, but for some reason that stuff just tastes great. It's a summer brew, I think. It is very refreshing on a hot day.

Colorado has an astonishing number of breweries. There are two or three in my little tourist town, with a new one starting up. They all seem to keep a good variety on hand too. I'm pretty tired of IPA and I think others are too since there's a lot of new stuff like amber ales and some strong pilsners available. The pizza joints usually have a stout or a porter or both. Mmmmmmm. I'm getting thirsty.

Reactions: Jim
I really don't now...it's a summer seasonal wheat ale....only available until late September in the US....but Sam Adams is a big company these days.
I've been drinking that one since about 2011...my son in law introduced me to it while on vacation in Minnesota.
I also like Allagash White from Maine....another wheat beer. I look for mostly odd craft beers these days....drink a fair amount of 3 Floyds from my area...but I will have an old standard now and then like Bass, Newcastle, or even Guinness.
I like most kinds of beer...but not the real hoppy ones with IBU. . I suppose I've tried over 100 distinct kinds....but 839 (one off or regular produced beers..?)....hell I didn't even know there were that many beers made....unless one counts beers only made once.....but then these days there are so many breweries.
What are some of your all time favorites.?
;)

It's 841 now, I had two more yesterday.

The total is so high because I try new ones whenever I can - most bars have something or other I've never tried before. I really like hop-heavy, heady brews. Current favourite is 'Dank Marvin' by Abyss Brewery. It's got so many hops in it it's almost trippy.

Friday and beer. I'm drinking this:

SmartSelect_20190726-212353_Gallery.jpg
SmartSelect_20190726-212334_Gallery.jpg

And it is bloody superb. And I don't mean that in a backhanded 'superb for a crappy Asian ale' way, I mean simply superb--I'd put it against the best beers being produced in the UK today.

A decade ago there were pretty much three beers you could buy in South Korea: Hite, Max and O.B. (Oriental Brewery--the oldest), but they were all 'yellow fizz lagers', cheap, weakish and largely flavourless. Then about six years ago import duties was relaxed and the competition brought a rush of new domestic brews of mediocre to good quality, with an emphasis on wheat beers: an improvement, but a minor one.

Three or four years ago, however, came a revolution. Rules were relaxed about brewing, small business received a series of economic boosts to make them suddenly viable, and there was an eruption of very high-quality microbreweries that have grown and grown. I've mentioned my local 'Playground Brewery' before, but Goose Island has the advantage of huge financial backing and a chain of newly-opened high-end ale bars in Seoul. The result is that I can get five cans of this stuff for, about seven quid at the local convenience store, which sounds expensive until you realise that I once paid eight quid for a pint of Guinness in a local bar. Supermarket alcohol aisles have become three times as long since I've been over here, which can't be bad. There has also been a crash in the exorbitant price of Japanese beers, which I also rate pretty highly--there are some really innovative tastes and styles being developed there. Even some of the U.S. ales are decent--and that's a sentence I would never have imagined myself writing.

Viva the relaxation of tax and regulation!

Cheers!

Friday and beer. I'm drinking this:

View attachment 19180View attachment 19181

And it is bloody superb. And I don't mean that in a backhanded 'superb for a crappy Asian ale' way, I mean simply superb--I'd put it against the best beers being produced in the UK today.

A decade ago there were pretty much three beers you could buy in South Korea: Hite, Max and O.B. (Oriental Brewery--the oldest), but they were all 'yellow fizz lagers', cheap, weakish and largely flavourless. Then about six years ago import duties was relaxed and the competition brought a rush of new domestic brews of mediocre to good quality, with an emphasis on wheat beers: an improvement, but a minor one.

Three or four years ago, however, came a revolution. Rules were relaxed about brewing, small business received a series of economic boosts to make them suddenly viable, and there was an eruption of very high-quality microbreweries that have grown and grown. I've mentioned my local 'Playground Brewery' before, but Goose Island have the advantage of huge financial backing and a chain of newly-opened high-end ale bars in Seoul. The result is that I can get five cans of this stuff for, about seven quid at the local convenience store, which sounds expensive until you realise that I once paid eight quid for a pint of Guinness in a local bar. Supermarket alcohol aisles have become three times as long since I've been over here, which can't be bad. There has also been a crash in the exorbitant price of Japanese beers, which I also rate pretty highly--there are some really innovative tastes and styles being developed there. Even some of the U.S. ales are decent--and that's a sentence I would never have imagined myself writing.

Viva the relaxation of tax and regulation!

Cheers!

Goose Island is from Chicago....it's now owned by Aneuser-Busch of Budweiser fame.

Goose Island is from Chicago....it's now owned by Aneuser-Busch of Budweiser fame.

I did not know that--all presented as Korean here: the goose wears a traditional Korean hat in their bars. That expains the oodles of cash behind them!

It's great stuff, wherever it is from, and as I say the boom in microbreweries is extremely welcome.

The world embraces ale--about time!

Found it: font size 6. Foreign beer (American), but no company mentioned

I did not know that--all presented as Korean here: the goose wears a traditional Korean hat in their bars. That expains the oodles of cash behind them!

It's great stuff, wherever it is from, and as I say the boom in microbreweries is extremely welcome.

The world embraces ale--about time!

AT LAST :boozing:

I'm off to the Great British Beerfest, with a few mates, after work this Friday.
It's always a terrific session.
I was slightly dismayed though to see that CAMRA, of which I've been a member for a great many years, has now banned any risqué beer names or suggestive badges on the beer pumps.
That seems a bit of a shame, as the Donald McGill or indeed Carry On style saucy humour had become synonymous with real ale for as long as I can remember. I can think of far more explicit cocktail names for example, but it looks like real ale has to be made the scapegoat.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...n-sexist-names-at-great-british-beer-festival

I'm off to the Great British Beerfest, with a few mates, after work this Friday.
It's always a terrific session.
I was slightly dismayed though to see that CAMRA, of which I've been a member for a great many years, has now banned any risqué beer names or suggestive badges on the beer pumps.
That seems a bit of a shame, as the Donald McGill or indeed Carry On style saucy humour had become synonymous with real ale for as long as I can remember. I can think of far more explicit cocktail names for example, but it looks like real ale has to be made the scapegoat.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...n-sexist-names-at-great-british-beer-festival

I left CAMRA about a year ago, they got much too po-faced for me.

I left CAMRA about a year ago, they got much too po-faced for me.

Yeah I get that. Membership still makes sound financial sense though. I get cheap or even free entry to beer festivals and £20 worth of ale or cider vouchers to spend at Wetherspoons (except they sent me £40 by mistake last month!).

noooooooooooo! :(

Back