• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Must be one o' them things that don't come across quite right on the interwebs.
I do like the bullshit GIF. Mind if I borrow it?

I really was joking.

The context is that I have been posting for seventeen years here and haven't ever called anybody's post 'bullshit'.

You're welcome to the .gif, but I'd counsel caution in its use!

This is an old story, but I think we missed it. To be fair, the story is in the headline, and it's an impressive one!

Screenshot 2019-09-23 at 01.37.30.png

Full Story:
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/wor...ir-registered-on-a-breathalyser-a3725556.html

It's because women are less likely to buy a drink with a frankly insulting name. 'Legs Apart' or whatever.

A friend of mine refers to white wine as 'lady petrol' . It doesn't seem to upset the females he's serving it to. He's a Navy bloke.

Edit: Supplementary question. If the suppliers have already decided risque names were not economically wise why would CAMRA need to ban them? Mind you, I always thought CAMRA were a bunch of tweed-encrusted snobs more interested in sniffing the ale instead of actually drinking it in any sensible quantity, but that might just have been the local branch where I grew up.

And bitter beer is not supposed to be citrusy. I've given up on the progressively more inoffensive flavours of beer and resorted to Guinness. Courage Directors used to be so dry and bitter you needed a drink afterwards. Never been the same since they stopped brewing in London.

Oops, sorry, got on one of my hobbyhorses there.

Last edited:
A friend of mine refers to white wine as 'lady petrol' . It doesn't seem to upset the females he's serving it to. He's a Navy bloke.

Edit: Supplementary question. If the suppliers have already decided risque names were not economically wise why would CAMRA need to ban them? Mind you, I always thought CAMRA were a bunch of tweed-encrusted snobs more interested in sniffing the ale instead of actually drinking it in any sensible quantity, but that might just have been the local branch where I grew up.

And bitter beer is not supposed to be citrusy. I've given up on the progressively more inoffensive flavours of beer and resorted to Guinness. Courage Directors used to be so dry and bitter you needed a drink afterwards. Never been the same since they stopped brewing in London.

I thought that beer was supposed to smell and taste like...beer.

Courage Directors used to be so dry and bitter you needed a drink afterwards. Never been the same since they stopped brewing in London.

Nope you got no argument from me there. There are many fine beers that were never the same after being bought out or moved.

I also hate the trend of paying silly money for flowery crap.

Here's something to make your upcoming holidaze season more choco-licious (or vomit-worthy, if you prefer ... )
Yuengling, Hershey collaborate on chocolate-infused brew

Soon on tap: a new brew featuring Yuengling’s nearly 200-year-old porter recipe and Hershey’s chocolate.

The two Pennsylvania companies are teaming up on a limited-edition beer called Yuengling Hershey’s Chocolate Porter.

The chocolate-infused brew will be available on tap beginning in mid-October at bars, restaurants and other venues in 13 states from Kentucky to Massachusetts, as well as Washington, D.C.

It’s the first collaboration for Pottsville-based Yuengling, America’s oldest operating brewery.

The company says the beer will have “rich chocolate notes” and recommends pairing it with barbecued and smoked meats, cheeses and desserts.

The brew was in development for nearly a year. Yuengling expects it to last until February.
SOURCE: https://www.apnews.com/28f1a4beb9ae4acb9742b510625c8efd

Brilliant session at the Great British Beerfest last night and only feeling slightly hungover this morning!

My friends were all aware of the directive from the new forces governing CAMRA to prohibit any suggestive imagery and we therefore set ourselves the task of trying to find any subversive images that managed to slip through the net.

Sadly, it seems that the humourless harpies of Fem.Ale and Beer Without Beards have largely succeeded in making the GBBF a less fun and colourful place.

The seaside postcard style beer badges had largely gone. Even the legendary Twickenham Naked Ladies ale was present in text only. Some of the continental beers seemed unaffected, with their usual gaudy but attractive labels, but otherwise very few even remotely saucy images were present:

View attachment 19501View attachment 19502

Ales with similarly "suggestive" names or imagery have never been especially common as far as I'm aware, the only one I can think of is one I've seen in one pub in London called "Tart's something or other" I forget the title, partially because it was a shit, unfunny pun. I dare say I've seen others down the years but don't recall any specifics.

That "saucy postcard" stuff is ancient and hackneyed and is seldom funny, I don't mean because it's offensive, mainly because it's puerile and inane. I mean what are those images above supposed to convey? Not particularly good cartoons of supposedly sexy women? The one on the left is especially ugly, I'm talking purely aesthetically. I prefer ales with some sort of image on the pumps but I can't say either of those do much for me, and again, there a plenty of ales with crappy illustrations that are not sexual.

I like ales with (actually) funny titles or puns: Piddle (served as a Pint of Piddle or Bottle of Piddle), Cripple Cock (complete with limping rooster image) Proper Job and One Over the Bar: "Give me One over the Bar". That said, the latter must get exponentially tedious for bar staff, especially female ones. I've ordered it once or twice, no, I didn't make the joke, not because I'm "PC" but simply because I don't want to be tedious.

The Carry On and Confessions of... type films were well before my time, I'm not attached to that sort of thing, I suppose some people are. It seemed old to me twenty years ago.

Even is differently-abled penis mightier than the sword.

Shades of the food pills and bite-sized instant meals from sci-fi parodies ... Glenlivet unveils capsules analogous to detergent "pods" allowing you to simply pop your Scotch in your mouth.
This "capsule" Scotch whisky doesn't require a glass

After the Tide pods craze, now we have Scotch pods, or "glassless cocktails" for drinkers who can't be bothered to pour.

"No ice. No stirrer. No glass. We're redefining how whisky can be enjoyed ... #noglassrequired," The Glenlivet tweeted as part of its "Capsule Collection" roll-out, timed with London's Cocktail Week. ...

People have been enjoying Scotch whisky for hundreds of years, usually in a glass and often on the rocks, of course.
Now, The Glenlivet, one of the world's top producers, offers this twist:

"A first of its kind for a spirit brand, the edible capsules are 23ml in size, fully biodegradable and provide the perfect flavour-explosion experience," read the Scottish brand's promotional materials. "Enjoying them is simple, the capsules are popped in the mouth for an instant burst of flavour, and the capsule is simply swallowed."

Judging from Twitter posts, some whisky-lovers, aren't so thrilled.

"Ummm, whisky cocktails are for sipping & savouring, not exploding in your mouth all in one go," wrote Susie Mac. ...

SOURCE: https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/05/world/glenlivet-scotch-whisky-capsule-glassless-trnd/index.html

Future scenario: drunken astronauts.

Here's a new concept for serving the drinking public - a bar that charges a flat fee for access to a service tier or level and then charges only for the time you spend there. There are no charges for individual drinks.
Missouri bar charges customers by the hour instead of by the drink

A Missouri bar is trying out an unusual business model -- charging customers by the hour instead of by the drink.

The St. Louis bar, named Open Concept, charges customers by the hour to enjoy unlimited numbers of drinks that vary depending on the price package, which averages $10.

"At our bar we don't sell drinks, we sell time," the website states.

The bar offers food only on "Taco Tuesday" and "Bottomless Brunch" days, but the owners said customers are free to order delivery at any time.

Open Concept's website offers the choice to book a drinking in advance and offers full refunds for anyone who misses their appointment.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/1...r-instead-of-by-the-drink/1351570648232/?sl=3

In summary - elephant dung gin ...
Special South African gin is infused with elephant dung

The makers of a South African gin infused with elephant dung swear their use of the animal’s excrement is no gimmick.

The creators of Indlovu Gin, Les and Paula Ansley, stumbled across the idea a year ago after learning that elephants eat a variety of fruits and flowers and yet digest less than a third of it.

“As a consequence, in the elephant dung, you get the most amazing variety of these botanicals,” Les Ansley said during a recent visit to their operations. “Why don’t we let the elephants do the hard work of collecting all these botanicals and we will make gin from it?” he recalled his wife suggesting. ...

They described the gin’s flavor as “lovely, wooded, almost spicy, earthy” and one that changes subtly with the seasons and location.

The gin bottles are marked with the date and coordinates of where the elephant dung was collected. “So, you’re able to compare almost different vintages of the gin,” Ansley said.

After about five sizeable bags of dung are collected for a batch of 3,000 to 4,000 bottles of the gin, the droppings are dried and crumbled, then washed to remove dirt and sand. Eventually only the remains of the fruits, flowers, leaves and bark eaten by the elephants are left behind.

Those botanicals are then sterilized and dried again and placed in an airing cupboard. Think of it like a “spice cupboard,” Ansley said. Eventually, the remains are infused in the gin. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/1cae3f3eac884e318ea50796d9681015

Advertising campaign in the U.K. for this used to be Australians wouldn’t give a XXXX for any other beer.
It was spoken as 'Australians wouldn’t give a... Castlemaine four ex for any other beer.' The short pause before 'Castlemaine' was presumably intended to imply a swearword. How VERY edgy.

Heh, I checked and I was spot-on -
[
XXXX TV advert[/url]

I can't find a better place for this story ... A bar in Dubai is running a promotion by which women are given credit (for drink costs) based on their weight.
Dubai bar offering women free drinks based on their weight

A Dubai bar is drawing in female customers with an unusual promotion -- the more they weigh, the more free drinks they receive.

The Fusion Club at Cassells Al Barsha Hotel announced it will be running a special through the end of the year offering $0.12 in free drink credit for every pound a female customer weighs -- meaning a woman weighing 150 pounds would receive about $18.50 worth of free drinks.

Bar managers said there is a scale available in the bar, but customers can also use the honor system to merely tell their weight to bartenders.

"Although we have a weighing machine at the bar entrance, we do not insist our guests to verify the weight," Anil Kumar, the hotel's food and beverage manager, told Insider.

"We believe in the magnanimity of our lady guests," he said. "They can just write the weight on a paper and give it to the bartender discreetly, and enjoy drinks equal to the value they wrote on the paper. Very simple, no strings attached."

The promotion's motto is, "It's good to gain weight."
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/1...sed-on-their-weight/7731574113342/?sl=8&ur3=1

New adventures in branding - marketing a beer named for a notorious international drug kingpin ...
Drink like a Mexican kingpin: 'El Chapo' beer launched by daughter

Have a cold one, have an “El Chapo” beer. That’s the message of Alejandrina Guzman, whose company has developed a craft beer dedicated to her infamous, incarcerated kingpin father Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman.

The beer is part of the “El Chapo 701” brand, which has already launched a clothing line, and gets its name from when Forbes named him the 701st richest person in the world in 2009. Forbes estimated his net worth at $1 billion at the time. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...chapo-beer-launched-by-daughter-idUSKBN1ZG04Z

Beastly Bosche Beer!

German police probe Nazi-style beer brand

_110662097_beerlabelgotzfbookindex.jpg

Image copyrightGÖTZ ULRICH/FACEBOOKImage captionA known neo-Nazi has been linked to the controversial beer brand

German police are investigating the sale of beer with a Nazi-style label, seen as scandalous in Germany as the world remembers Holocaust victims. Photos of the "German Reich Brewery" beer were posted on Facebook by Götz Ulrich, a district chief in eastern Germany, who expressed outrage.

"I feel so ashamed," he said, accusing neo-Nazis of staging a provocation exactly 75 years after Soviet troops liberated the Auschwitz death camp.

Nazi symbols are banned in Germany. Their use is illegal if there is a clear link to Nazi or other far-right ideology. In some cultural contexts, however, their use is tolerated.

Commemorations are being held at the site of Auschwitz-Birkenau in southern Poland, where Nazi Germany murdered about 1.1 million people - nearly a million of them Jews.

Mr Ulrich said the Deutsches Reichsbräu beer was being sold on Friday in Bad Bibra, his home town, and "the worst thing is that the beer has been flying off the shelves and is sold out!"

The label is brown - reminiscent of the Nazis' brown uniforms - and the Nazi eagle symbol is reproduced, except that the Iron Cross is shown inside a wreath, instead of a swastika. The Gothic script lettering - harking back to German tradition - is also standard for neo-Nazi propaganda.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51265269

German police probe Nazi-style beer brand
Mr Ulrich said the Deutsches Reichsbräu beer was being sold on Friday in Bad Bibra, his home town, and "the worst thing is that the beer has been flying off the shelves and is sold out!"
This wouldn't be happening if Merkel had been more consensus seeking in her approach to immigration. Tolerance is a 2 way street, but presently European people are resenting the one way traffic. Big surprise. Look at the bogeyman it has woken up.

This wouldn't be happening if Merkel had been more consensus seeking in her approach to immigration. Tolerance is a 2 way street, but presently European people are resenting the one way traffic. Big surprise. Look at the bogeyman it has woken up.
Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. It's a boiling pot that must be avoided.

Ya let's do everything we can to not upset the poor Nazis. Maybe the bitch boys can stop hiding in their mum's basements and we can have this out like men.

Back