• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Our local pub has just put on this limited edition in celebration of Mary, the resident ghost who haunts room 36 (most often) as well as one of the hallways and the cellars. Only happened today, so I can't report on whether it's taste is out of this world. However, a good friend of mine worked there for some years and saw her (Mary) on more than one occasion.

ghostbeer.jpg

Last edited:
Our local pub has just put on this limited edition in celebration of Mary, the resident ghost who haunts room 36 (most often) as well as one of the hallways and the cellars. Only happened today, so I can't report on whether it's taste is out of this world. However, a good friend of mine worked there for some years and saw her (Mary) on more than one occasion.

View attachment 34681
You have a pub thats open!! Lucky b'stard lol

View attachment 34681

Pint of ghost ale?

41JaJXeIWzL._AC_SX466_.jpg

'Forced' - bet their arms had to be hammerlocked behind their backs to get them to drink it, yeah.
The young(ish) bloke who took the place over is ace, he filled loads of large disposable milk cartons with ale he otherwise would have had to pour down the cellar drain at the start of this latest lock down, set up two tables in the carpark, placed about 60 of them full of ale then went on Facebook and told locals to come and help themselves. Legend.

I worked and lived there as night porter about 15 years before he took the place over .. the then owner was a local millionaire who'd inherited a load of John Bolton silverware with the place name embossed on it 'THE RED LION CROMER' .. John Bolton had owned The Red Lion and The Cliftonville, both large Victorian built hotels, in the 50's and had had a ton of stuff made for both hotels so some of it says 'THE RED LION & CLIFTONVILLE HOTEL' and some just 'THE RED LION HOTEL' ... one of my duties was to weekly polish that silverware that was on an out of reach shelf in the restaurant, I was given a Red Lion silver plated sugar bowl as a parting gift when I left. I have a souvenir of almost everywhere I've worked with the company logo on .. sometimes a lighter or a pen, or name badge or a work shirt. I've kept all of them.

The Red Lion was tired and worn out when I was working there although still very beautiful. After a few years of the new bloke being there, the amount of money, blood sweat and tears he's put into the place (Even I did a month with him) .. to breath new life into it .. and he had no idea this old silver stuff existed except for a single tea spoon someone had pinched from The Cliftonville for him still with 'THE RED LION' logo embossed on it. He had that mounted on a wall near the bar ... so I sold him my sugar bowl for twenty quid with the promise that he will sell it to whoever takes the place on in the future because that's it's rightful home. My Dad taught me "We don't ever own anything, we just inherit it to look after for people in the future! :cool: .. something the Cromer locals were angry about when the owner I worked for pissed off with all of the silver after selling the place .. and I had the last remaining piece.

So, delighted with his vintage original, he displayed it behind the bar until I told him to take it home instead because some disgruntled member of staff will almost certainly steal it so he has. He lives in my old night porter flat inside the hotel. If the last one goes, we could have a screaming skulls situation on our hands! ..

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...eal-student-binge-drinking-strategy-more-pubs

Pre-loading has always been a massive part of Kiwi life due to the fact in the old days pubs would stay open longer.

I'd like to see beer strength reduced so no beers above 5% in student locations and limited access to spirits.

Provide food and the sit-down culture of alcohol and food that the sensible European countries have - much more fun less boring nastiness.

We should really sort the law out on drugs as alcohol is still far more dangerous.

Last edited:
It's out of this world!

Researchers in Bordeaux are analysing a dozen bottles of French wine that returned to Earth in January after a stay aboard the International Space Station.

They announced their preliminary impressions on Wednesday – mainly, that weightlessness did not ruin the wine and it seemed to energise the vines. Organisers say it is part of a longer-term effort to make plants on Earth more resilient to climate change and disease by exposing them to new stresses, and to better understand the aging process, fermentation and bubbles in wine. At a one-of-a-kind tasting this month, 12 connoisseurs sampled one of the space-travelled wines – a bottle of Chateau Petrus Pomerol wine that spent a year in space – blindly tasting it alongside a bottle from the same vintage that had stayed in a cellar.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40250402.html

Scottish brewer 'brewdog' is planning to open a beer themed hotel, with beer on tap, mimi bars full of beer and fridhes in the shower for 'shower beers' in every room.

Brewdog reveals plans for beer-themed hotel in Edinburgh

Brewdog, the Scottish brewer and pub chain, has announced plans for a beer-themed hotel in Edinburgh's Old Town.

The Doghouse-branded boutique hotel will be in a former school opposite the city council headquarters on Market Street.

"Expect beer on tap in all the rooms, mini-bars filled with the best beers in the planet and fridges in the shower for shower beers," co-founder James Watt said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-56714720

Scottish brewer 'brewdog' is planning to open a beer themed hotel, with beer on tap, mimi bars full of beer and fridhes in the shower for 'shower beers' in every room.

Brewdog, the Scottish brewer and pub chain, has announced plans for a beer-themed hotel in Edinburgh's Old Town.

The Doghouse-branded boutique hotel will be in a former school opposite the city council headquarters on Market Street.

"Expect beer on tap in all the rooms, mini-bars filled with the best beers in the planet and fridges in the shower for shower beers," co-founder James Watt said.

Will they be charging £10 a schooner or something.... can't say I'm a fan of certain Craft Beers that taste like Grapefruit.

Dear Brewdog,

Fuck off you cunts.

Yours sincerely,

Ogdred Weary

I don' think they're forcing people to stay there.
It's not like it's one of those 'quarantine hotels' where you must stay for 10 days at your own expense.

Genuine questions - why don't people like Brewdog?
Me personally is just the taste, expense, lay out of the pubs and the hipster element but that same to be the going thing in the past 10 years and people love them but it ain't for me and I don't like change but I suppose each to there own also a pint these days is too much and I think the Craft thing didn't help.

Me personally is just the taste, expense, lay out of the pubs and the hipster element but that same to be the going thing in the past 10 years and people love them but it ain't for me and I don't like change but I suppose each to there own also a pint these days is too much and I think the Craft thing didn't help.

You convinced me at the "hipster" bit...thanks.

Will they be charging £10 a schooner or something.... can't say I'm a fan of certain Craft Beers that taste like Grapefruit.
There's nothing wrong with Elvis Juice. Couldn't drink it all night though.

Genuine questions - why don't people like Brewdog?

I love real ale, can't stand (most) craft beer. I am not certain of the exact differences, I think the definition of "real" ale is that there's live yeast in the barrel. Craft beers are more inert, there were variations on ale with no live yeast prior to the invention and proliferation of "craft beer" but the "craft" variant differs in taste. I don't know whether it is the type of hops, or the quantity or other ingredients but I find some of these - the IPAs in particular, absolutely repugnant. Even the smell of some makes me faintly nauseated, I've been sick (and sometimes the other end) after just one pint or even a small can of some types. I suspect I might be allergic to something in them. A couple of friends have reported similar reactions.

One of the defining features of most craft beer is that there's often a floral, citrus-y or grapefruit-y taste and smell as @Sabresonic mentioned above. These ones, usually in the IPAs are the worst for me, though conversely some ales with similar characteristics are fine. I've had a couple of "sour beers" which certainly lived up to their name. On the other hand I actually really like some of the odd flavoured stouts and porters- hints of vanilla, blueberry, strawberry, peanut butter and marshmallow even.

I will also add I don't welcome the price hike with these beers, also mentioned above, nor the hipster element. Brewdog are by the far biggest company in this "game" I think they helped spearhead the name "craft beer/brewery" when they got too big to market themselves as a microbrewery. Their pubs are pretty soulless inside, though this hardly unique to them in the modern day.

I suppose if you had to quarentine in a hotel, there are worse places than one with on tap beer in every room :p

Being stuck in a hotel with on tap craft beer on tap in every room would be an ironical hell for me.

I don't know whether it is the type of hops...

That's exactly what it is. Chuck in huge amounts of Citra hops late in the process (dry-hopping) and you'll get a massive tropical aroma and taste, for example. A Simcoe and Columbus mix will give you a dank, piney feel.

Although there are all kinds of weird and wonderful additions. I'm on a Belgian fruit beer tip at the moment.

I love beer in all its forms, including a mega-hoppy craft beer. But it's the variety I enjoy, I wouldn't stick to one brew all night.

There's nothing wrong with Elvis Juice. Couldn't drink it all night though.
There can't be much fluid left from Elvis's corpse. It'd mostly be embalming fluid, so a tad unhealthy.

I love real ale, can't stand (most) craft beer. I am not certain of the exact differences, I think the definition of "real" ale is that there's live yeast in the barrel. Craft beers are more inert, there were variations on ale with no live yeast prior to the invention and proliferation of "craft beer" but the "craft" variant differs in taste. I don't know whether it is the type of hops, or the quantity or other ingredients but I find some of these - the IPAs in particular, absolutely repugnant. Even the smell of some makes me faintly nauseated, I've been sick (and sometimes the other end) after just one pint or even a small can of some types. I suspect I might be allergic to something in them. A couple of friends have reported similar reactions.

One of the defining features of most craft beer is that there's often a floral, citrus-y or grapefruit-y taste and smell as @Sabresonic mentioned above. These ones, usually in the IPAs are the worst for me, though conversely some ales with similar characteristics are fine. I've had a couple of "sour beers" which certainly lived up to their name. On the other hand I actually really like some of the odd flavoured stouts and porters- hints of vanilla, blueberry, strawberry, peanut butter and marshmallow even.

I will also add I don't welcome the price hike with these beers, also mentioned above, nor the hipster element. Brewdog are by the far biggest company in this "game" I think they helped spearhead the name "craft beer/brewery" when they got too big to market themselves as a microbrewery. Their pubs are pretty soulless inside, though this hardly unique to them in the modern day.

I have had some Belgium Lambic Sour Beer and it just taste like Vinegar and don't understand the £4.49 price tag for a small bottle from my local Wine Shop ? BUT I do like these https://images.app.goo.gl/wUr9B6Lh

I have had some Belgium Lambic Sour Beer and it just taste like Vinegar and don't understand the £4.49 price tag for a small bottle from my local Wine Shop ? BUT I do like these https://images.app.goo.gl/wUr9B6Lh

The sours I had were OK, interesting option for a change but I only had one on each occasion, might possibly try another.

Had rauchbier two or three times over the years. Quite pleasant, although I don't think I could drink more than one or two of an evening.

Back