• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I have had some Belgium Lambic Sour Beer and it just taste like Vinegar and don't understand the £4.49 price tag for a small bottle from my local Wine Shop ? BUT I do like these https://images.app.goo.gl/wUr9B6Lh

I LOVE a sour beer. But then I love anything sour.

1618406322345.png

I had to draw a line once though, when I discovered the peak hipster beer. It was supposed to taste like toasted bread, and featured healthy lashings of coriander and salt. That was too much even for me.

Belgium has some great beers - the Trappist monk breweries are well worth trying. Quite pokey in alcohol content & expensive. Tesco do Westmalle Dubbel for £2.10 for 330ml bottle, 7% abv. Westmalle Tripel is even more expensive, 9.5% abv. Two of the best.

I think they're bottled with yeast still live which continues fermenting in the bottle so it's very lively when opened. It's not for knocking back pints but for savouring - beer doesn't get much better than this. Outside my general price range but as a treat once in a while..

I bet Carlos will know of these.

Many great craft beers these days...the local and micro brews are always making new stuff....a few I like lately:
1618419155093.png

Belgium has some great beers - the Trappist monk breweries are well worth trying. Quite pokey in alcohol content & expensive. Tesco do Westmalle Dubbel for £2.10 for 330ml bottle, 7% abv. Westmalle Tripel is even more expensive, 9.5% abv. Two of the best.

I think they're bottled with yeast still live which continues fermenting in the bottle so it's very lively when opened. It's not for knocking back pints but for savouring - beer doesn't get much better than this. Outside my general price range but as a treat once in a while..

I bet Carlos will know of these.
By dad is a big fan of Belgian Trappist beer, he regularly goes over to Belgium on his never ending quest to find the best beer in the world, he has narrowed it down to Belgium so far :p

I followed up Layer Cake with a bottle of Export India Porter from The Kernel brewery. I've never seen an India porter before, turns out it's basically a Black IPA, which tastes much closer to an IPA than any dark beers. So I will not be having another one.

I followed up Layer Cake with a bottle of Export India Porter from The Kernel brewery. I've never seen an India porter before, turns out it's basically a Black IPA, which tastes much closer to an IPA than any dark beers. So I will not be having another one.
Not a fan of the IPA?

The single bottle of the oldest known whiskey in existence is going to be auctioned in June.
The oldest known whiskey is soon to be up for auction

A historic bottle of whiskey can soon be yours -- if you have tens of thousands of dollars to spare.
The whiskey, bottled in LaGrange, Georgia, is about to go up for auction. The Old Ingledew Whiskey is believed to be the oldest known whiskey in existence, according to Skinner, which is facilitating the auction.

The online auction is set for June 22-30. Bids are expected to fall between $20,000 and $40,000, Skinner said last week.

Carbon 14 dating done in conjunction with the University of Georgia indicates the bourbon was likely produced between 1762-1802, around the time of the Revolutionary War and the Whiskey Rebellion, officials said. It's not clear where it was produced.

Skinner's rare spirits expert, Joseph Hyman, said in a statement the whiskey "is thought to be the only surviving bottle of a trio from the cellar of J.P. Morgan gifted in the 1940s to Washington power elite." ...

FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/style/article/oldest-whiskey-auction-style-trnd/index.html

As an antidote to all of this booziness the Scottish Health Initiative Team have put together a public information film highlighting the perils of dehydration......

In case you're looking for a new summer-themed libation ... Or a gift for a beer drinker you really, really hate ...
Sheetz to launch strawberry and banana milkshake beer

If you love milkshakes and beer, this one’s for you. Sheetz, the popular mid-Atlantic restaurant and convenience chain, is set to release a limited edition strawberry and banana milkshake IPA.

The IPA is brewed with Sheetz Bros. strawberry and banana puree, offering a light and fruity beer with a kiss of hop to balance the strawberry sweetness. ...

The company says the drink pairs best with sunscreen, flip flops and a pair of shades.

The handcrafted beer will go on sale at 489 Sheetz stores across Pennsylvania ...
FULL STORY: https://www.wearecentralpa.com/news/sheetz-to-launch-strawberry-and-banana-milkshake-beer/

In case you're looking for a new summer-themed libation ... Or a gift for a beer drinker you really, really hate ...

FULL STORY: https://www.wearecentralpa.com/news/sheetz-to-launch-strawberry-and-banana-milkshake-beer/
Sounds good! I'd drink it.

Unfortunately the link doesn't work in Europe so I had to dig around for an item on it that I can read.

The packaging is very... pink, isn't it? :chuckle:

Over'ere there'd be letters to the Daily Heil about making alcohol attractive to children!

John Smiths is went up to £3.80 in my local but in Weatherspoons its £1.89 and the other pub the Fat Ox which is like a proper 1980s/90s pub it's £2 and real Ale is £ 2.20.

John Smiths is went up to £3.80 in my local but in Weatherspoons its £1.89 and the other pub the Fat Ox which is like a proper 1980s/90s pub it's £2 and real Ale is £ 2.20.
I paid £4.80 for a pint of Amstel the other day

£4.80 for Amstel! And that is atrocious lager too. Must have been some kind of 'posh' pub.

My god...are you in...the North?

You won't get a pint of anything for less than four quid in the South East. I've paid fifteen quid for two pints in a pub in Brighton before - granted, it was very small batch and very high ABV. But still.

My god...are you in...the North?

You won't get a pint of anything for less than four quid in the South East. I've paid fifteen quid for two pints in a pub in Brighton before - granted, it was very small batch and very high ABV. But still.
Wetherspoons are always good for a cheap pint, if you dont mind drinking in their soulless pubs

Back