• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bottle Tops & Suddenly Appearing Falling Spatulas

Magdalen Green

Fresh Blood
Hello, I'm brand new here, though I've visited many times.

My dad very sadly passed away six weeks or so ago. It was in his sleep. I think in some ways he'd been subconsciously preparing: getting everything in order, and even making sure the hedges were trimmed and the garden was cleared the day before. But I don't think he was ready. Like anyone, he'd have wanted the chance to say goodbye to us all. The shock and the sadness are an extremely powerful combination; you can feel it in any room someone's feeling it.

I'm posting because I've noticed things happening that can't be put down to just a heightened alertness or wishful thinking. It's not events that I would otherwise have assigned no meaning to or forgotten. I would definitely have remembered them if they'd happened at any other time.

In moments of extreme 'feeling' - where you're slightly overwhelmed by the grief - these things happen. I'm pretty logical but also open.

I was in the kitchen a day or so after, in a moment of real focused grief, when the metal lid of a screwtop bottle of wine shot off with great force, bounced off a shelf, and 'pinged' the toaster. It was very odd, but it was just one thing, so later thought perhaps it was something to do with temperature. The blinds were shut, it wasn't sunlight, but maybe the dishwasher had heated up the surfaces or something (though it wasn't near the dishwasher).

The next morning, I walk into the kitchen, again in a moment of focused emotion, and the fitted rubber lid of a milk bottle shot up into the air maybe ten inches and landed on the counter, right in front of my eyes, just as I looked at it. It was in a different part of the kitchen and at a different time of day. Lids have never shot off things before in my house, and it hasn't happened since.

A couple of nights later, again in the kitchen - which is open plan and runs into the dining/living area - I'm with my wife looking at a picture of my dad full of joy as he lifts his first grandson in the air. We're about to cook, and have a jar of pickles next to us. My wife and I stare at the photo, and there's that heavy emotion again. She attaches it to an email to my Mum, and types as the subject line: Pure Love. As she finishes the word Love there is a loud tap on the lid of the jar. A very loud, noticeable tap. It surprises us because we'd been staring at the photo and the email. It felt deliberate, though of course we all look for meaning in things at times like this. But lids and kitchens are a common theme.

Then two nights ago my Mum is at her house and she's on the phone for an hour. We still don't know how dad died. The coroners are taking a very long time due to a backlog. A doctor friend is talking it all through with Mum and positing various theories. It's a bit like therapy for Mum, she's discussing it all, and once again the grief hangs heavy. She walks into her kitchen, when suddenly BANG. She sensed something falling next to her. She looks down, and there's something on the floor. It's a sort of plastic spatula or ladle. She'd never seen it before. I've never seen it before. It absolutely isn't hers. It looks a little 80s maybe. But it fell from somewhere.

So I stood in the kitchen the next morning and tried to work out where this never-before-seen thing could have come from. Maybe it was a previous owner's from five years ago. But where's it been for five years and how did it fall? It wasn't on the counter because it would have been seen at some point in the last five years! All the cupboards were shut. The windows are double glazed and were shut. If it had fallen from above the cupboards, how had it done that on its own? Plus, the doors are slightly higher than the units, meaning it would have had to have leapt over. In addition, Mum has lots of pots up there which would have blocked it if it had been right at the back and then somehow blown itself forward. As hard as I try, I cannot fathom how this thing that no one had ever seen before had fallen right in front of my mother. We're sending a picture to the previous owner to see if it was hers.

I wondered if anyone had experienced something similar at times of intense feeling. Or if anyone is missing a spatula.

Welcome, Magdalen Green, and first of all sorry for your loss.

Fascinating events. One question regarding the pickles jar - had it been opened previously, or was it as yet unopened? Was the tap the same sound as when a jar is first opened and the tamper vacuum seal pops?

Welcome, Magdalen Green, and first of all sorry for your loss.

Fascinating events. One question regarding the pickles jar - had it been opened previously, or was it as yet unopened? Was the tap the same sound as when a jar is first opened and the tamper vacuum seal pops?

Yes, that's what I thought it might be too. That little indent thing. It had been opened before, so the 'tap' had already happened, but of course it is possible that when putting it away or bringing it out I inadvertently 'reset' it. I can't say it sounded exactly like the sound those things make, but maybe because it wasn't 'fresh' any more and the jar was less full the usual tap might sound different. It was the timing of it and the volume of it that made it spooky, but of course it could be coincidence, and I am trying to apply a 'rule of 3' to it, after the weird bottle lid flights.

The spatula is the thing I'm having the most trouble with.

We're sending a picture to the previous owner to see if it was hers.
Can we see the picture? I know it's a strange request and nothing likely will come of it, but you never know. There are some keen-eyed members on here who might spot something odd about it. Apart from the apport bit, of course.

Yes, of course. This is it. As I say, a completely unfamiliar implement. I guess it's not a sputala but a ladle or strainer? I keep calling it a spatula because that's how Mum first described to me after it apparently appeared and fell. The email was sent at 23.44 so it would have happened around then. The picture was taken the next morning. Mum's never seen it, and I - familiar with all their stuff growing up and being close by - don't know it either. We'll see if it was the previous owner's.

Attachments

• IMG_4897.jpeg
    IMG_4897.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 26
Condolences, Magdalen Green! :group:

The spatula looks like an implement to take food out of a deep fryer, except that it's plastic, so it would melt.

The usual labels for that implement are skimmer, skimmer spoon, strainer or strainer ladle. If the round perforated end isn't metal it's probably nylon. It wouldn't be plastic.

It's commonly used for straining or serving chunky bits out of a stock pot (e.g., veggie chunks from a soup or stew). It can also be used to skim unwanted floating crust or bits off the surface of a soupy mixture in a pot.

Because it's an implement most suited to be used with a pot it wouldn't be surprising if it were commonly stored with - or even inside - a pot within which it was often used. The spoon ends on these things tend to be relatively large, so they aren't always easy to store in drawers with other cooking implements.

Hello, I'm brand new here, though I've visited many times.

My dad very sadly passed away six weeks or so ago. It was in his sleep. I think in some ways he'd been subconsciously preparing: getting everything in order, and even making sure the hedges were trimmed and the garden was cleared the day before. But I don't think he was ready. Like anyone, he'd have wanted the chance to say goodbye to us all. The shock and the sadness are an extremely powerful combination; you can feel it in any room someone's feeling it.

I'm posting because I've noticed things happening that can't be put down to just a heightened alertness or wishful thinking. It's not events that I would otherwise have assigned no meaning to or forgotten. I would definitely have remembered them if they'd happened at any other time.

In moments of extreme 'feeling' - where you're slightly overwhelmed by the grief - these things happen. I'm pretty logical but also open.

I was in the kitchen a day or so after, in a moment of real focused grief, when the metal lid of a screwtop bottle of wine shot off with great force, bounced off a shelf, and 'pinged' the toaster. It was very odd, but it was just one thing, so later thought perhaps it was something to do with temperature. The blinds were shut, it wasn't sunlight, but maybe the dishwasher had heated up the surfaces or something (though it wasn't near the dishwasher).

The next morning, I walk into the kitchen, again in a moment of focused emotion, and the fitted rubber lid of a milk bottle shot up into the air maybe ten inches and landed on the counter, right in front of my eyes, just as I looked at it. It was in a different part of the kitchen and at a different time of day. Lids have never shot off things before in my house, and it hasn't happened since.

A couple of nights later, again in the kitchen - which is open plan and runs into the dining/living area - I'm with my wife looking at a picture of my dad full of joy as he lifts his first grandson in the air. We're about to cook, and have a jar of pickles next to us. My wife and I stare at the photo, and there's that heavy emotion again. She attaches it to an email to my Mum, and types as the subject line: Pure Love. As she finishes the word Love there is a loud tap on the lid of the jar. A very loud, noticeable tap. It surprises us because we'd been staring at the photo and the email. It felt deliberate, though of course we all look for meaning in things at times like this. But lids and kitchens are a common theme.

Then two nights ago my Mum is at her house and she's on the phone for an hour. We still don't know how dad died. The coroners are taking a very long time due to a backlog. A doctor friend is talking it all through with Mum and positing various theories. It's a bit like therapy for Mum, she's discussing it all, and once again the grief hangs heavy. She walks into her kitchen, when suddenly BANG. She sensed something falling next to her. She looks down, and there's something on the floor. It's a sort of plastic spatula or ladle. She'd never seen it before. I've never seen it before. It absolutely isn't hers. It looks a little 80s maybe. But it fell from somewhere.

So I stood in the kitchen the next morning and tried to work out where this never-before-seen thing could have come from. Maybe it was a previous owner's from five years ago. But where's it been for five years and how did it fall? It wasn't on the counter because it would have been seen at some point in the last five years! All the cupboards were shut. The windows are double glazed and were shut. If it had fallen from above the cupboards, how had it done that on its own? Plus, the doors are slightly higher than the units, meaning it would have had to have leapt over. In addition, Mum has lots of pots up there which would have blocked it if it had been right at the back and then somehow blown itself forward. As hard as I try, I cannot fathom how this thing that no one had ever seen before had fallen right in front of my mother. We're sending a picture to the previous owner to see if it was hers.

I wondered if anyone had experienced something similar at times of intense feeling. Or if anyone is missing a spatula.
Welcome to the board and im sorry for you loss :( certainly an odd tale, ty for sharing.

Yes, of course. This is it. As I say, a completely unfamiliar implement. I guess it's not a sputala but a ladle or strainer? I keep calling it a spatula because that's how Mum first described to me after it apparently appeared and fell. The email was sent at 23.44 so it would have happened around then. The picture was taken the next morning. Mum's never seen it, and I - familiar with all their stuff growing up and being close by - don't know it either. We'll see if it was the previous owner's.
Did your dad spend a lot of time in the kitchen, was he fond of cooking, baking and the like? Seems strange that the activity has been centred around the kitchen and it's contents and implements.

My condolences on your loss, Magdalen Green.

You might want to take a look at the Teaspoon thread, although your strainer looks a bit big to qualify! I have one very similar that I use for serving pasta without draining the water, or sweetcorn, anything that is a bit 'wet', but doesn't justify getting the Big Thing With Holes In out of where it is jammed in the back of the cupboard.

Popping bottle tops and appearing implements is exactly the sort of thing I plan to do once I'm gone, should I get the chance!

Condolences for your loss magdalen green was your dad a bit of a joker when he was alive.
Perhaps he is showing you all how much he loved you all and having a good laugh at your expense?
Welcome to the board

It's commonly used for straining or serving chunky bits out of a stock pot (e.g., veggie chunks from a soup or stew). It can also be used to skim unwanted floating crust or bits off the surface of a soupy mixture in a pot.

Dad was "famous" in our family for his soups. He loved making them. I bought him a soup maker one year for Christmas, and the following year heard him talk so much about his soups that I forgot I'd bought him a soup maker and bought him another one! I've also been making "his" soups for Mum and bringing them round.

It's certainly a very strange object to have appeared out of nowhere.

There is another thing I haven't mentioned up until now, because it felt slightly separate to it all. But my wife's auntie in Australia is very 'open' to these events and has talked about living in a house which had been subject to strange events in the past. Once a year she sees a medium - and although she is 'open' she had not mentioned she was so open she visits this lady every year.

She went along less than a week after Dad died. She knew Dad only a little, and told the medium two things: a) a man might be joining, b) he is her niece's dad. Nothing about further relationships, physicality, circumstances, personality.

She slightly shyly sent us all her notes, which she writes down verbatim - and what struck me was there seemed to be no real 'cold reading' or fishing for clues. More a monologue. What struck me most of all was that when my Dad apparently used the opportunity (or 'channel') to say hi, she completely got his character; the man we know. A cheeky interjection to break the ice, his humour, the jokes he would make. Of course it could be coincidence, and it could be me looking for comfort, but these were strange character risks to take.

She described his height and aftershave. His marriage to my Mum. She said he'd been confused at his passing - she said he found himself standing in the bedroom (she didn't know it happened in his own bed, in his sleep) and looking down at himself. He tried to start his own heart but couldn't, he was confused because his own mother was there, just behind him, talking him through things (she raised him alone).

There was also a family detail that only me, my wife and my mum and my dad know about. Not a 'secret', just not something we told anyone as it's uncomfortable. A family tragedy long ago involving someone he'd been reunited with. And she described his continued confusion at his death - he wasn't sure what it was yet (we still haven't had the coroner's report) and she described someone he had met with - a close friend of mine from childhood, not long passed. We all said the same name when we heard that, but of course that could be playing the odds.

My dad was incredibly polite, and an academic who would often arrange conferences... at the end he would always make sure to thank the speaker and those who helped arrange. And that's what he did right at the end, which was a weird thing to include. He thanked the 'speaker' in a formal but friendly way, and he thanked my wife's aunt for being so gracious as to let him in. He also said he had visited us to say hello (I heard this the night after the first bottle top shot off) and that he would visit whenever he could. The lady said he brought a symbol - he was holding flowers for my Mum. The feeling was that it was just as much a shock for him as it was for us.

So, just a little added extra, make of it what you will. I certainly found it comforting, because once again - this wasn't about getting generic details right. It was his character, his way of being. His personality. He was dancing between the words.

On a side note, my Mum got a call from someone she hadn't heard from in years. A lady whose own husband had passed a couple of years back. She'd had a dream in which her husband appeared, and he urged her to call my Mum. She didn't yet know the news.

So anyway - I'm open but logical. Some of this can be explained I'm sure by coincidence and wishful thinking. But it all comes back to the ladle for me. The bottle tops. The details. Perhaps one day we'll understand all this. Maybe in 200 years people will laugh at us for not knowing what for them will be simple truths. I feel that unusual things are happening, for a reason.

Sorry for the long post. I didn't want to post too much at first in case I came across as a bit odd!

Last edited:
I certainly found it comforting, because once again - this wasn't about getting generic details right. It was his character, his way of being. His personality. He was dancing between the words.
Welcome to the board, MG, and I'm very sorry for your loss. Thank you for being so open about your experiences, and for expressing them so well - the last line of yours in the quotation above is magical. I am glad you are finding some comfort.

Back