'Bottomless' Bodies of Water (Including 'Bottomless' Pits In Their Beds)

A

Anonymous

I posted on another thread ages ago about a UL in tthe village in which I grew up. This involved a wedding coach crashing into the supposedly bottomless pond near the church. Quite how a pond that small could be bottomless is quite beyond me!

There's also the old UL about miners drilling a bottomless pit into hell itself!

Bannik

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
There's a place in New Jersey called the Blue Hole, which is also rumored to be bottomless.

Link is dead. See later post for more info on the New Jersey Blue Hole.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leaferne

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Trout Lake , back in my hometown, is quite deep compared to the *other* lake in town (Nipissing) and it was confidently whispered among my childish peers that in some places they hadn't found the bottom of the lake yet. It added to the general air of mystery about the place.

fluffle9

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
there's a "bottomless" pond in greece (can't remember where, probably southern mainland). it's not very exciting.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
RE: The 'Blue Hole' in New Jersey

The original link provided for this item is long dead.

Here's some intro text from, and a link to, the current webpage describing the Blue Hole in New Jersey.
Legends of the Blue Hole

One of the most storied sites in all of southern New Jersey is a mysterious body of water known as the Blue Hole. Located deep in the Pine Barrens of Winslow, on the border of Camden and Gloucester Counties, this small but legendary pool is said to not only be bottomless, but also a frequent pit stop of the Jersey Devil ...
FULL STORY: https://weirdnj.com/stories/legends-of-the-blue-hole/

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
There are a number of ocean 'blue holes' which have been claimed to be 'bottomless' in the past. The most famous of these is the Great Blue Hole in Belize.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_hole

They've all been determined to have finite depths, with the Dragon Hole (South China Sea) being the deepest one known (circa 300 meters deep).

Mikefule

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Near Hayfield, in the high peaks area of Derbyshire, there is a "Mermaid's Pool". This is said to be the home of a mermaid, and the water is said to taste salty because there is an underground passage linking the pool to the Atlantic.

There are other legends attached to the pool. See the Wikipedia link below.

Hayfield is also famous for having its own unique Morris dance tradition, which was not collected by the great collector, Cecil Sharp. It carries on to this day, although the dancers are reinforced by Morris dancers from other sides (teams).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mermaid's_Pool_(Peak_District)

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Near Hayfield, in the high peaks area of Derbyshire, there is a "Mermaid's Pool".
Hayfield rang a bell. I see I was much taken by a Hayfield story a couple of years back. The Hayfield Resurrection of 1745!

I did not know of the Mermaid's Pool but accounts of flooding in Hayfield suggest that the water-table is close to the surface! :ness:

markrkingston1

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
So many pool seems to have legends about them being bottomless. It's odd since most people, even in the past, would have known this wasn't really true.

Another one that occasionally has this legend associated with it is the Silent Pool, near Dorking: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attra...ews-Silent_Pool-Guildford_Surrey_England.html

In actual fact it's mostly less than 6 feet deep and you can actually see the bottom through the weeds, although it's not necessarily obvious that you're looking at the bottom.

Last edited:

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
The Hell Kettles near Hurworth and Croft on Tees were thought to be bottomless by primary school children in the 1960s!