Boy Wearing ‘Anxiety-Inducing’ T-Shirt

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
BOY WEARING ‘ANXIETY-INDUCING’ SNAKE T-SHIRT FORCED TO CHANGE BEFORE BEING ALLOWED TO FLY

Believed the snake T-shirt would make other passengers feel anxious

Source: independent.co.uk
Date: 28 December, 2019

A boy was forced to change his T-shirt with a picture of a snake on it before boarding a plane, his family claims.

Ten-year-old Stevie Lucas had flown from Wellington, New Zealand, to Johannesburg in South Africa to visit his grandparents when the incident occurred.

At OR Tambo airport in Johannesburg, he was told that his black T-shirt, which had a large green snake printed on it, was not permissible clothing to be worn onboard on a flight.

Stevie’s parents Steve and Marga told the Daily Mail that security officers at Johannesburg airport alerted them to the rules about snake toys and clothing.

https://www-independent-co-uk.cdn.a...nesburg-wellington-stevie-lucas-a9261096.html

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Get these m*****f***in snake t-shirts
Have to say though, I can understand the airline's point here - that t-shirt could look damn well convincing, especially with imperfect eyesight!

Screenshot_20191228_234411_compress58.jpg

Also raises the question... what other t-shirt images might not be permitted...

New thread... maybe..?

Think I'll chance it :jugg: ... hopefully coming along separately, 'Forbidden T-shirts'...

Last edited:

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Have to say though, I can understand the airline's point here - that t-shirt could look damn well convincing, especially with imperfect eyesight!

Also raises the question... what other t-shirt images might not be permitted...

New thread... maybe..?

Think I'll chance it :jugg: ... hopefully coming along separately, 'Forbidden T-shirts'...
If you’re referring to the pic in the Indy article it’s just a generic shot of a snake, it’s not the T shirt in question.

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
If you’re referring to the pic in the Indy article it’s just a generic shot of a snake, it’s not the T shirt in question.
Was indeed, Sir - the second photo of young lad wearing said t-shirt. Somehow that image didn't make it and now duly corrected above.

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient

PeteS

Seeking refuge
I'm very wary of this sort of thing. Policing what people wear.... it's a verrrry slippery* slope.

It's only a T-shirt for crying out loud.

*or should that be slithery?
Yep we seem to be entering a new era of an anxiety filled generation. Presumably the image of a Tarantula, lion or maybe a cat or a dog (the latter two also inducing anxiety in some) would have also been banned. Perhaps those who are scared of a t shirt shouldn't be flying anyway?

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
There was a time when the word phobia was used to mean irrational fears, not criticism. That isn't some cartoon snake on the t-shirt, it looks like the real thing. You don't want people to panic, while in a pressurised tube 5 km up in the air.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
There was a time when the word phobia was used to mean irrational fears, not criticism. That isn't some cartoon snake on the t-shirt, it looks like the real thing. You don't want people to panic, while in a pressurised tube 5 km up in the air.
I've seen 'Eavy Metal T shirts and tattoos which were potentially more anxiety inducing than a picture of a snake.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
At a glance, yes, it looks real, but a second look would be enough to be sure it was just a print. People should be clever enough to manage that.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Quite right E. People are clever enough to manage that, it's just that "the offended on behalf of" brigade don't seem to understand that.
Yup, it's like what I call the 'spider issue'.

If I were in charge of a company's advertising or logos I'd never allow a representation of spiders because arachnophobia is one of the commonest fears.

It's not about compassion. Nobody who's afraid of spiders would buy my products. They wouldn't even watch my adverts after the first one they saw.

However, images of spiders are out there and it's tough. Arachnophobes have to cope.

There are probably lots of people with snake-phobias too and they must get a jolt if they see a picture of one even on a kid's shirt. While it's tough, it's not life-threatening like, say, a customer being surreptitiously fed sesame seeds when they have a serious allergy.

bugmum

Devoted Cultist
There are probably lots of people with snake-phobias too and they must get a jolt if they see a picture of one even on a kid's shirt.
My godmother, God rest her soul, couldn't watch images of snakes on the TV, she'd always turn it off. SERIOUS snake phobia - and so inexplicable for someone who came from Northampton!

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
My godmother, God rest her soul, couldn't watch images of snakes on the TV, she'd always turn it off. SERIOUS snake phobia - and so inexplicable for someone who came from Northampton!
My sister is the same way. Over Christmas we attended a family gathering which included a sixteenth-month-old toddler. Said toddler was proudly displaying one of her Christmas gifts, a large soft toy in the shape of a snake. My sister had to temporarily remove herself from the room while the toddler played with the stuffed serpent. She is no shrinking violet but any image of a snake, including on television, gives her the creeps. I too dislike snakes but the sight of a soft toy with pink sequins for scales and a purple fabric underbelly doesn't exactly fill me with dread.

I see the righteous "freeze peach" bullies are out in force in this page. But thanks for outing yourselves so i can put you on ignore.