Breastfeeding In Public

Quake42

Warrior Princess
Breast-feeding breaks? Can't quite see that one working, unless the women in question are bringing their babies into work with them?
Well, some companies do have creches.

Plus, I object to the 'breast is best' stuff. Some women cannot breastfeed. Not that some midwives accept that. Nevertheless, there are underweight, malnourished babies, simply due to the fact that the mother does not produce enough milk, or the quality of the milk is insufficient. Likewise, women for whom breastfeeding is just too damn painful. The bottom line here is that it's the mother's choice whether she breastfeeds, and if she choses not to, then she shouldn't be made to feel like she's guilty of cruelty to her own child.
I agree. There's a lot of snobbishness over the whole thing and a wholly worthy attempt to encourage women to breast feed if they can seems to have turned into an accusatory "you're a bad mother if you can't/won't/choose not to breast feed".

Ravenstone

Queen Under The Mountain
Quake42 said:
Well, some companies do have creches.
Not many though. I don't know of any around here that provide them. I just have this mental image of one of my colleagues getting her coat on to 'nip' 9 miles home to breastfeed her child, then get back. :shock:

I agree. There's a lot of snobbishness over the whole thing and a wholly worthy attempt to encourage women to breast feed if they can seems to have turned into an accusatory "you're a bad mother if you can't/won't/choose not to breast feed".
It does, doesn't it? My niece was put under enormous pressure, and she really could not do it. A nurse had a go at her for depriving her child, putting the baby at risk, and generally being 'bad mom', then one of the visiting midwives started on her. Poor girl burst into tears.

maureenmac1

Devoted Cultist
Thankfully this law has been in place here in Scotland for several years, I chose to breastfeed my youngest daughter, unlike my older girl and it was so much easier when out and about. If you do choose to bottle feed your child and you are out in a restaurant the restaurant may have a policy of not heating bottles for health and safety reasons.
If i really needed to I would express milk, if i was going somewhere that i thought i would feel uncomfortable, however expressing milk was painful and to be honest more trouble than it was worth. I came to the conclusion then that if people were offended it was their problem and not mine.
It's unfortunate that some people are offended at the sight of a woman breast-feeding her child. Also unfortunate that some women choose to be indiscreet whilst feeding their child in a public place.
I do have female friends who were offended at my breast-feeding and swore they would never breast feed, however I suspect at the root of this was the response from their partners ie; the boobs belong to them not the baby.
I have also had friends who were unable to brest-feed for various reasons and they were devastated.

Edited 1 time due to my crap typing!

A

Anonymous

I was a bit confused by all your posts - till I realised you were discussing 'breast feeding' and not 'press freedom'.

D'oh!

elffriend

Abominable Snowman
womaniac said:
svart said:
drbastard' said:
I don't really want to be made to feel awkward, on a train for example, and have to spend the whole time desperately trying to look in the opposite direction in case I get accused of gawping. :)
I guess you'd rather put up with a screaming hungry baby instead? :hmm:
It's possible to put breast milk in a bottle.
But not always possible to make the baby drink it. I breast fed all three of my children and none of them would drink breast milk from a bottle.

As far as I am concerned if someone has a problem with public brestfeeding then it's their problem not mine and they can go take a running jump. Feeding a hungry baby in the most natural way possible is more important than pathetic wining from mature adults.

rynner2

Great Old One
The ultimate flashmob: Hundreds of mothers breastfeed in front of shoppers
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 7:59 AM on 21st June 2011

A bold group of mothers gave a new meaning to the term 'flashmob' when they bared their breasts at a major shopping centre today to raise awareness of breastfeeding. 8)
More than a hundred mothers of all ages - some accompanied by their partners - descended on the Trafford Centre in Manchester to feed their babies in front of stunned shoppers to promote the start of NHS-backed National Breastfeeding Awareness Week.

The proud women bore all in full view of customers sitting in the shopping centre cafes to highlight the health benefits of breastfeeding.
A stunned onlooker said: 'It's not every day you see that many breasts while out doing your shopping. I suppose it's a good way of getting people to listen to the message. I fully support them.'

The Trafford Centre is backing National Breastfeeding Awareness Week 2011 - which runs from Sunday 19th to Saturday 25th June, backed by the NHS Infant Breastfeeding Services - and has recently refurbished its breastfeeding facilities for shoppers.

One mother, Jade Fitzmartin, 18, from Atherton, Greater Manchester, said: 'It's great to get together for such a good cause as we all know how important breastfeeding is. The flashmob was a really exciting thing to be part of, although in normal circumstances I would probably prefer to use the breastfeeding facilities here.
'All new mums should take it seriously as an option when midwives and health visitors discuss it with them.'

Organiser of the flash mob event, Alison Healey, Breastfeeding Coordinator at NHS Ashton, Leigh and Wigan, said there were a number of advantages linked to choosing to breastfeed.
These included a lowered likelihood of common health complaints in babies such as diarrhoea, ear and chest infections and eczema and an improved immune system.
'The likelihood of a healthy life for babies is greatly enhanced by parents choosing to breastfeed instead of feeding their baby with formula milk.
'When a new mum chooses to breastfeed she is also greatly benefitting her own health as it can also help her to lose the weight she might have gained in pregnancy and lower the risk of some cancers.
'New mums should feel proud of their decision to breastfeed and know that they can get support from their local Midwives and Health Visitors.'

Gordon McKinnon, Director of Operations at The Trafford Centre, said: 'We're a family friendly centre, which means we're fully supportive of mums who make the decision to breastfeed. If they require a comfortable, private space in which to feed their child we have four sets of dedicated facilities including our new Laura Ashley-designed breastfeeding suite, but we consider most public spaces appropriate and our retailers are equally understanding.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1PtyZpo1e

rynner2

Great Old One
MP tackles football's breastfeeding taboo
25 February 2017

SNP MP Alison Thewliss wants all football clubs in Scotland to declare their stadiums breastfeeding-friendly.
The Motherwell-supporting MP has written to all 42 league clubs, encouraging them to follow the example of Ayr United.

Breastfeeding in public places has been a legally protected right in Scotland since 2005.
But Ms Thewliss said a declaration by the clubs would break the taboo and let people know breastfeeding was normal.

The MP for Glasgow Central praised Championship side Ayr for being the first to declare their stadium, Somerset Park, breastfeeding-friendly.
She said more than half of all clubs had now responded to her letter and taken up the initiative.

Ms Thewliss said: "Football crowds have changed a lot over the years and stadiums are becoming a much more family-friendly environment.
"The vast majority of clubs understand the need to build future generations of fans."

She said she had taken her son to watch Motherwell's Europa League tie against Aalesund in 2010, when he was just a month old.
"I was a bit nervous about doing so, but was very much supported by my family and neighbouring fans," she said.
"I've had a positive experience at Scotland games too, and I would encourage all clubs to play their part."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-39076539

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

INT21

Justified & Ancient
MP tackles football's breastfeeding taboo
25 February 2017

She said she had taken her son to watch Motherwell's Europa League tie against Aalesund in 2010, when he was just a month old
Why would anyone in their right mind want to do that ?

INT21

Justified & Ancient
Not being a football fan myself, I find the idea of taking a baby into an environment prone to be the scene of violent 'disagreement' between the opposing factions rather questionable.

But if it was rugby, well, that's another story.

lordmongrove

Justified & Ancient
That should simply not be allowed.
Quite apart from the 'weird' and possibly 'deviant' aspects, the high levels of female hormone might affect the development of the baby.
FFS!
Exactly what i thought. But in today's bullshit PC society some snowflake would say that it's a father's right.

Bad Bungle

King of the Trilobites
Breastfeeding is NATURAL - yes I get that, but not in a Restaurant - especially not in a badly ventilated, over-priced Restaurant. It's not a nipple slip that offends people but the spitting-up/regurgitation/baby sick following a feed (one in every 3 feeds, two in every 3 feeds ? I forget what my sister said when she was nursing). Save it for Public Transport.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Breastfeeding is NATURAL - yes I get that, but not in a Restaurant - especially not in a badly ventilated, over-priced Restaurant. It's not a nipple slip that offends people but the spitting-up/regurgitation/baby sick following a feed (one in every 3 feeds, two in every 3 feeds ? I forget what my sister said when she was nursing). Save it for Public Transport.
OK .. but consider this .. yours and all of our ancestors breastfed left right and centre all over the place for us all to even be here, right now, to be having this debate at all.

..and yes, nobody celebrates baby puke.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
OK .. but consider this .. your and all of our ancestors breastfed left right and centre all over the place for us all to even be here, right now, to be having this debate at all.

Breastfeeding left and right I can understand but centre! Total Recall?

Bad Bungle

King of the Trilobites
OK .. but consider this .. yours and all of our ancestors breastfed left right and centre all over the place for us all to even be here, right now, to be having this debate at all.

I was trying to point out that it is the sight and smell of curdled milk that can be off-putting in a Restaurant, not the glimpse of a breast (which seems to be treated as the cause of tutting)

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I was trying to point out that it is the sight and smell of curdled milk that can be off-putting in a Restaurant, not the glimpse of a breast (which seems to be treated as the cause of tutting)
I've never sat close enough in a restaurant to anyone be able to smell breast feeding .. you have a good point if you've had to sniff smelly tit milk or baby breast milk puke while you're eating. As for the sight of it, we should just avert our eyes.

INT21

Justified & Ancient
In Dublin's fair city
where the girls bare a titty
I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone.
She was stood there breast feeding
Nice girl, but no breeding.
So I just bought a kipper and then I went home.

Cochise

Justified & Ancient
To be honest breast feeding is not a big deal - what I question is the whole idea of taking a small baby in to a restaurant. Keep the squalling infant at home until it is capable of understanding orders.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
I think breastfeeding in public is more about the mother’s creepy needs than the baby’s hunger.

maximus otter

escargot

Beloved of Ra
In my current job I see mothers publicly feeding their babies all the time. Not one or two a week, more like several a day. I can only tell what they're doing by their posture; no actual breast or nipples are on show.

Nobody has ever complained to me about it being done, or to any of my colleagues. It's a total non-issue. Who are these people who kick off about it? Weirdos.

In my current job I see mothers publicly feeding their babies all the time. Not one or two a week, more like several a day. I can only tell what they're doing by their posture; no actual breast or nipples are on show...
Well, exactly. Most of the times I've been out and about with anyone who has had to breast feed their baby I've generally only realised what was going on after it was over and done with - even when I've been sat in the same space as them. My experience is that the vast majority of people are pretty subtle about the whole process, and I can't really believe that the act, in and of itself, is still an issue for some.

Yes, there may well be some exhibitionist earth parents out there who really like everyone to know about their incredible parenting skills - but the problem there is not about breast feeding in public, it's about being a pillock.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
My SiL used to do it in public, but you couldnt tell, she hid the baby so nobody could tell, personally i do not want to see someones boobs in public, imma prude

escargot

Beloved of Ra
My SiL used to do it in public, but you couldnt tell, she hid the baby so nobody could tell, personally i do not want to see someones boobs in public, imma prude
You can't see anything unless you're closer in public than is probably legal to someone you don't know well.