Breastfeeding In Public

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
I don't give a toss about breastfeeding in public. They can do it wherever they want.
Aye, babies need milk, however they receive it is no-one's business. The baby is eating, that's all.

On a wider issue, breastfeeding being a 'thing' that had to be hidden is only relatively recent in western culture.

There are great photos from the American heartlands and Edwardian England where the boob is out & sprog on. No one really gave a toss then. Some sociologists have dated the change to the later 1940s and the emergence of the bikini pin-up girl (ie, when tits became primarily sexual, rather than secondarily so)

For example:

'A Mother Feeding Her Baby at a Chattanooga Bus Stop – 1943'

My husband is from Nepal and when he first arrived in the UK many years ago he literally thought there was some mysterious illness affecting British mothers and that's why they couldn't feed their babies from the breast when out and about and had to use a bottle or let the baby scream on. It is mostly a non-issue over there - mothers whip out the dood (same word for breast as the noun for milk) and feed the kid or just to comfort it if it's being whiny. Anywhere, bus, temple, street, office - job done.

They still have foster wet-nurses too, in the less urbanised areas - if a woman can't feed her baby then someone close who is lactating will often step in and do the honours. It's still much much safer than trying to make formula and clean bottles when even the tap water is nowhere near clean. This practice plus the introduction of such cheap rehydration salts (literally 4p per dose) has meant child mortality from diarroeahal illnesses has plummeted over the past couple of decades.

Generally Nepali mothers breastfed until the next baby arrived (after 2-3 years) but these days birth control is commonplace and the average family has 2, maybe 3 children max.

Grumpyoldwoman

Junior Acolyte
I was trying to point out that it is the sight and smell of curdled milk that can be off-putting in a Restaurant, not the glimpse of a breast (which seems to be treated as the cause of tutting)

Having worked in restaurants/pubs for most of my working life,I have yet to see or smell curdled milk (unless the fridge in the kitchen has failed in the middle of a heatwave which rarely happens)

escargot

Beloved of Ra
I was trying to point out that it is the sight and smell of curdled milk that can be off-putting in a Restaurant, not the glimpse of a breast (which seems to be treated as the cause of tutting)
Breast milk isn't seen or smelled. It goes straight from mother to child. That's the whole point.

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
Breast milk isn't seen or smelled. It goes straight from mother to child. That's the whole point.
True, but as a husband of a lady who fed all three of our children there is definitely a sour milk smell about the place after a while. Stuff gets around, on shoulders, soaks into clothes etc. Not that it would bother me per-se. Now.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Homo Sapian female mammals, or as we more commonly know them, 'Women' naturally lactate, producing milk from their breasts to feed their young. End of.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Anyone who has a problem with a mother feeding her child should remember that she's feeding the child, not conceiving a child! There's a world of difference (about nine months, all told!)

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Anyone who has a problem with a mother feeding her child should remember that she's feeding the child, not conceiving a child!
As both are perfectly normal and unremarkable human practises, why should we draw a line at one being performed in public, but not the other? After all, l can simply look in another direction, can’t l?

maximus otter

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
As both are perfectly normal and unremarkable human practises, why should we draw a line at one being performed in public, but not the other? After all, l can simply look in another direction, can’t l?

maximus otter
Back when I was a café cook at a Morrisons supermarket, my manager walked into the kitchen shaking her head that a couple had sat down, the wife had whipped out a bottle of red wine with two glasses, my manager had politely explained that we didn't have a licence to allow café customers to drink alcohol and could she please put it back in her bag ..

"Why? .. we've just bought the bottle from here ... we've just come back from France and you can do it there!?" ..

This was a couple in their late 50's so pleading ignorance wasn't a believable option for them ..

" .. and anyway, you've got no SIGNS up !!?" this woman continued ..

The woman, I was told, grumpily put her bottle away, my manager came in rolling her eyes and told me all of this, I could only reply to her with "We've got no signs up that read 'no fucking on the tables' either because we like to place a bit more faith in our customers."