• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bricks, Dung, Sharks & Unmade Beds: The World Of 'Modern Art'

I think it might look more like Ronaldo if the features weren't so squashed together. A bit. Probably.

Looks like he had the head shape worked out in advance but plonked a wonky face on top of it.
There's no way the bust has been regarded as a whole.
I hope men aren't expected to be sporting triangular adam's apples as a thing now. It's bad enough that sportsmen are now trying to flog us moisturiser without us sculpting our throats to look like lady fun parts.

_95380879_tweet1.jpg

Looks like he had the head shape worked out in advance but plonked a wonky face on top of it.
There's no way the bust has been regarded as a whole.
I hope men aren't expected to be sporting triangular adam's apples as a thing now. It's bad enough that sportsmen are now trying to flog us moisturiser without us sculpting our throats to look like lady fun parts.
Sign me up for a pyramid-shaped Adam's apple implant right now!!!

A painting by the late artist Jean-Michel Basquiat has sold at auction in New York for $110.5m (£85.4m).

That is nearly double the price of his previous most expensive work, bought by the same person a year ago.

It has broken several other records including becoming the most expensive work by any US artist.

It is also the highest price fetched for any art by a black artist and the first piece created since 1980 to break the $100m mark.

The untitled work was done in oil stick, acrylic and spray paint, and depicts a face in the shape of a skull.

It was sold to Yusaku Maezawa, a 41-year-old Japanese fashion entrepreneur who plans to set up a museum in his home town of Chiba.

Bidding for the piece during the auction at Sotheby's lasted 10 tense minutes. Cheers and applause erupted in the room when the work was sold to Mr Maezawa by telephone.

_96113510_8c10a672-bbbe-4cb0-8b20-49d9862060d3.jpg

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39971348

A painting by the late artist Jean-Michel Basquiat has sold at auction in New York for $110.5m (£85.4m).

That is nearly double the price of his previous most expensive work, bought by the same person a year ago.

It has broken several other records including becoming the most expensive work by any US artist.

It is also the highest price fetched for any art by a black artist and the first piece created since 1980 to break the $100m mark.

The untitled work was done in oil stick, acrylic and spray paint, and depicts a face in the shape of a skull.

It was sold to Yusaku Maezawa, a 41-year-old Japanese fashion entrepreneur who plans to set up a museum in his home town of Chiba.

Bidding for the piece during the auction at Sotheby's lasted 10 tense minutes. Cheers and applause erupted in the room when the work was sold to Mr Maezawa by telephone.

_96113510_8c10a672-bbbe-4cb0-8b20-49d9862060d3.jpg

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39971348
I've got this on VHS somewhere, the full film about Basquiat ... I'm not a fan to be honest of his art (the film's ok, Dennis Hopper, David Bowie, Christopher Walken etc ) but each to their own ..

Last edited:
I don't think this story made the English news, so here's a Chrome translate from French -

Lyon: Municipal police believe they snatch a plan of cannabis, they destroy an artistic work

Thinking of having found an urban cannabis plant, the agents cleared unceremoniously ... without knowing that it was not cannabis but a work participating in the City's Architecture Biennale.

On June 26, as told here on the site Item , municipal officials Rhodanian wander in the second district of Lyon. They soon notice a fallow that seems suspect to them. The police believe they are facing an open-air cannabis plantation in the middle of the city. They then decide to mow the 400 square meters of the plant concerned.

But, instead of cannabis, there was only hemp, mixed with linen and barley.
http://www.bfmtv.com/police-justice...detruisent-une-oeuvre-artistique-1211655.html

Many years ago my farther worked at a art gallery/museum, about 10 years ago
I called in to see how things were going and was horrified at the crap now thought
of a art, the curator asked what I thought of a new exhibit that had cost over £7000
just a pile of bricks, he seemed a bit put off when I said it looked like someone had
knocked down a outside bog.

I suspect a lot of modern artists wish to shock or produce images to shake us out of our torpor.
This may have been true with the Impressionists but I suspect this cliche now says more about some current artistic blinkered self obssession than it does about an indifferent viewing public. After all, there are a fair amount of OAPs around today who probably dropped acid and lived the high life before these artists were born into their mission to jolt us out of our jaded pedestrian sensibilities. That's why a lot of it seems trite, unimaginative, uninspired and colourless. Some of us have just seen and imagined more.
This man agrees with you ..

Someone's created a way for a goldfish to smash tiny bits of furniture with a hammer .. because we are destroying the sea is the arty argument ..

https://laughingsquid.com/goldfish-controlled-hammer/

I quite like that actually but as with a lot of such art, its form doesn't match up to its message - it could just as easily be a bit of fun from a mechanics student.

Recently I saw something up for the Turner prize which was footage of a man dressed as a monkey wandering around a German shopping centre. In 2017. Trigger Happy TV did that 15 years ago but there was at least a punch line.

Which is a genuine problem. When art goes into things that require no skill (or all about the message) they can easily be upstaged by similar non-art things that generate an emotional response.

Hell my favourite "art piece" was from the Chinese performance guys who messed up Tracy Emin's Bed because it was actually spontaneous and unexpected. Its also interesting that Bed was shown around the globe often with extra things thrown in (in Japan a noose hung over it) just 'cos.

Emin's defence for the piece was "no one's put a dirty bed in a gallery before" which is impressively shallow thinking for an artist who you at least expect to wax philosophical on this stuff.

Emin's defence for the piece was "no one's put a dirty bed in a gallery before" which is impressively shallow thinking for an artist who you at least expect to wax philosophical on this stuff.
Tracey Emin's explanations for her 'art' are usually pretty flimsy and arrogant. Classic example...'it's art because I say it's art'.

Tracey Emin's explanations for her 'art' are usually pretty flimsy and arrogant. Classic example...'it's art because I say it's art'.

Interesting if she said that because if she says it's art, it doesn't necessarily follow that it's a lucrative financial commodity and thus only needs to be displayed, say on a fridge, to justify her concept.

More specifically, about his last decade when his art went all pervy and he got called a dirty old man.
Didn't Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut get a similar reception? I think it's a terrific film.

Didn't Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut get a similar reception? I think it's a terrific film.

You're right, it did. "Old man tries to explore his sexuality" media never goes down well. So to speak. They discuss Picasso's motives in the doc. Very interesting.

It was a great film. Explored some dark ideas.
I'm not really a fan of sex-based films, but that one opened up new territory.

Big, blue penis. (technically NSFW so not embedding a photo)

Earlier this week, residents in the middle of Stockholm, Sweden were greeted with a giant blue penis painted on the side of a 5-story-high building. The mural, titled "Fuck the World," was meant to stay up for six months, painted by artist Carolina Falkholt on a wall meant for graffiti artists who have permission to paint whatever they want. But because of a local public reaction that's been both angry and repulsed, her painting's days are numbered to less than a week.

https://boingboing.net/2018/04/13/big-blue-penis-painted-legally.html

I see she's got previous. Here's her one from New York in December which managed to stay up for several days. ooerr.

5359.jpg

One of the questions I keep asking myself as I get older involves grants for the Arts.
It’s a true benchmark of a civilised society that Art and Culture are promoted and available to all. But it seems that more recently, more and more ‘challenging’ works are being presented, maybe helped with a handout of public money.
Recently we saw some Water Nymphs being removed in favour of a bunch of post-it notes by a curator in collusion with an artist possessing 99% less talent than the work replaced.

The ‘shock horror’ of the dick pics above doesn’t really challenge. It’s just crass, juvenile and illustrates the point I made above that an older generation find this sort of thing naive and tiresome. Besides. It hasn’t even got balls and a fountain coming out of it. Any 10 year old could have got that right.

Public murals by their very nature probably have to be publicly funded or they don't happen. If I had the task of asking for mural proposals I probably wouldn't choose that one but presumably they knew what they were getting. I'm not going to tut about it - I'm generally in favour of murals on walls.

I've got this on VHS somewhere, the full film about Basquiat ... I'm not a fan to be honest of his art (the film's ok, Dennis Hopper, David Bowie, Christopher Walken etc ) but each to their own ..
It's directed by Julian Schnabel, himself a prominent NYC painter of the era who went on to direct The Diving Bell and The Butterfly which was a terrific movie.

Snail Art

I think we know someone this would appeal to.

Two French artists are bringing their 176-snail ballet called Slow Pixel to London this month for its UK premiere as part of Cryptic’s Sonica festival. For only £4.50, you can watch illuminated snails crawl around a darkened room to challenging music. Don’t tell me you’re not tempted.

The gros-gris [fat greys] each have a small LED glued to their shell. Cyril, 43, and Elizabeth, 40, have been using snails in their art for eight years. Their first gastropod-based interventions involved feeding snails paper of different colours. Cyril recalls: “We would feed them red paper and they would shit red patterns. And if we fed them yellow and blue paper, what colour do you think they would shit?”

They hope to seduce visitors into a new relation with space and time. In a world where, as Parisian philosopher Paul Virilio has argued, technological change destroys space and compresses time, what a beguiling existential corrective it is to slow to a snail’s pace for a few hours. “Remember when you were a kid and you could sit and look at an insect for hours? Or watch a snail crawl across a path?” asks Elizabeth. Cyril hopes it will give visitors a Proustian rush, provoking bittersweet meditation on impermanence and lost time.

There's a gripping video at link

1046.jpg

Back