• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bricks, Dung, Sharks & Unmade Beds: The World Of 'Modern Art'

I prefer Earth Girls Are Easy with Dan Akroyd .. and he had a pet dog in it called Dave. Best name ever for a dog. :)
Was Dan in "Earth Girls Are Easy"?

A life-size wooden statue of US first lady Melania Trump has been unveiled in her birth country of Slovenia, but not everyone is pleased with it.
The sculpture was erected next to the Sava River in the village of Rozno, around 8km from Mrs Trump's hometown of Sevnica.

It was commissioned by Brad Downey, a Berlin-based American artist, and sculpted with a chainsaw by local folk artist Ales Zupevc.

https://news.sky.com/story/melania-...ed-close-to-her-hometown-in-slovenia-11757738

A life-size wooden statue of US first lady Melania Trump has been unveiled in her birth country of Slovenia, but not everyone is pleased with it.
The sculpture was erected next to the Sava River in the village of Rozno, around 8km from Mrs Trump's hometown of Sevnica.

It was commissioned by Brad Downey, a Berlin-based American artist, and sculpted with a chainsaw by local folk artist Ales Zupevc.

https://news.sky.com/story/melania-...ed-close-to-her-hometown-in-slovenia-11757738
It's awful!
What's the betting that a local sets light to it?

Given Downey's surrealistic orientation in devising his own street art, I suspect the abject crudeness of the Melania log statue is a deliberate feature (i.e., an intrinsic part of the concept or plan).

This is not to say I've figured out what (if any ... ) particular implication this characteristic was intended to convey.

not just sexy.... REALLY sexy!

and yes, he and Geena Davis make Earth Girls Are Easy one of my most watched films!

And when he takes his shirt off in "The Fly" (before mutating obviously), and the energetic scene with Emma Thompson in "The Tall Guy"

Last edited:
And the when he takes his shirt of in "The Fly" (before mutating obviously), and the energetic scene with Emma Thompson in "The Tall Guy"

*comes over all unnecessary* :airk:

As highlighted in the latest FT, the work of modern artist Stephanie Leigh Rose, examples at her site:
Stefdies Site

She says she got sick of selfies everywhere and tried to make hers... a little different. Basically, she pretends to be dead at tourist locations and gets photos of her inert pose. I think she's really funny, but she justifies herself in some pretty high-falutin' prose. It's definitely NOT planking, though.

As highlighted in the latest FT, the work of modern artist Stephanie Leigh Rose, examples at her site:
Stefdies Site

She says she got sick of selfies everywhere and tried to make hers... a little different. Basically, she pretends to be dead at tourist locations and gets photos of her inert pose. I think she's really funny, but she justifies herself in some pretty high-falutin' prose. It's definitely NOT planking, though.

To be truly authentic she needs to be "found by a man walking his dog".

Some residents of Wellington, New Zealanders are finding 'Quasi' unnerving:

ECS7TpYUYAE1VmQ.jpeg
ECS7TpsU4AAuxAX.jpeg

Story:
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/terrifying-hand-statue-intl-scli/index.html

Fantastic documentary by Jim Moir (civilian guise of Vic Reeves) on BBC 4 last night about video art, from the start in the 1960s to the effects-filled, artificial intelligence-powered current day efforts. Fascinating stuff, Rachel Maclean was a new name to me but her stuff is incredible. Get her to direct a Marvel movie! Anyway, it's on iPlayer if you missed it.

Thats a grand sculpture, Yith.

I dont like much street art but that has a certain semi-restrained charm.

I thought I had posted about this here before, but apparently not... in Atlanta, there used to be an Arts Festival in Piedmont Park. One year sometime in the 80's, an "artist" had an "instilation" that consisted of wooden crates heaped in a large pile and nothing else. Festival goers thought it was just a pile of boxes, and would pull individual ones off the pile to put their purchased art in. When the artist found out, they were livid that nobody recognized it was art in and of itself!

A banana duct-taped to a wall has been sold by an artist for $120,000 (£91,000).

skynews-banana-duct-tape-maurizio-cattelan_4858074.jpg

The installation by Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan went on display at the Art Basel Miami Beach exhibition this week.

skynews-banana-duct-tape-maurizio-cattelan_4858076.jpg

Organisers say two editions of the work, called Comedian, each sold for around $120,000 (£91,000) - and the price of a third edition has now reportedly been raised to $150,000 (£114,000).

https://news.sky.com/story/banana-duct-taped-to-wall-art-installation-sells-for-120k-in-miami-11879272

Complete the following well-known phrase or saying:

A **** and his ***** are soon parted.”

maximus otter

A banana duct-taped to a wall has been sold by an artist for $120,000 (£91,000).

skynews-banana-duct-tape-maurizio-cattelan_4858074.jpg

The installation by Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan went on display at the Art Basel Miami Beach exhibition this week.

skynews-banana-duct-tape-maurizio-cattelan_4858076.jpg

Organisers say two editions of the work, called Comedian, each sold for around $120,000 (£91,000) - and the price of a third edition has now reportedly been raised to $150,000 (£114,000).

https://news.sky.com/story/banana-duct-taped-to-wall-art-installation-sells-for-120k-in-miami-11879272

Complete the following well-known phrase or saying:

A **** and his ***** are soon parted.”

maximus otter

Yeah but you get the wall as well.

Back