• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bricks, Dung, Sharks & Unmade Beds: The World Of 'Modern Art'

A banana skin and its contents are soon parted. At least in a few weeks when the banana goes all mushy.

Imagine having that hanging in your mansion.

"Erm... why do you have a banana taped to your wall?"

"It's ART."

A banana duct-taped to a wall has been sold by an artist for $120,000 (£91,000)
I don't see why all the ridicule.

This has nothing to do with the fact I have just realised...

...there's Sellotape in the drawer.. and is there not a cucumber in the veggie basket...

{'kinky...}
Who, me...?

Screenshot_20191207_054247_compress93.jpg

I don't see why all the ridicule.

This has nothing to do with the fact I have just realised...

...there's Sellotape in the drawer.. and is there not a cucumber in the veggie basket...
You're rich! All you have to do now is find a stupid person who has a pile of money.

You're rich! All you have to do now is find a stupid person who has a pile of money.
:nods:
Yeah, it's obviously that simple!

Honestly, can you believe it - a small fortune for bananas taped to a wall.

Naturally, the banana needs replacing and tape disturbed in order to do so.

Wouldn't that instantaneously devalue the, 'artwork'?

It's not the same banana any more!

:nods:
Yeah, it's obviously that simple!

Honestly, can you believe it - a small fortune for bananas taped to a wall.

Naturally, the banana needs replacing and tape disturbed in order to do so.

Wouldn't that instantaneously devalue the, 'artwork'?

It's not the same banana any more!

Now if the artist used a plastic banana to symbolise the plastic fakeness of modern society and all its norms and how life is just an empty shell and stuff like that, it would last a bit longer.

Now if the artist used a plastic banana to symbolise the plastic fakeness of modern society and all its norms and how life is just an empty shell and stuff like that, it would last a bit longer.
Brilliant! Think also of all the world's starving - using a plastic banana could so, 'artistically', be pronounced as symbolism highlighting food waste.

You could probably bump up the price as well... :sneaky2:

Brilliant! Think also of all the world's starving - using a plastic banana could so, 'artistically', be pronounced as symbolism highlighting food waste. You could probably bump up the price as well... :sneaky2:
It's wonderful to be a witness to this creative collaboration in the artistic process. Jeff Coombs would be proud of y'all too. The only difference between him and you is that he got off his ass and made it a reality. DIY.

It's wonderful to be a witness to this creative collaboration in the artistic process. Jeff Coombs would be proud of y'all too. The only difference between him and you is that he got off his ass and made it a reality. DIY.
Jeff Koons...? Jeff Coombs is an actor.

Someone's eaten the banana:
Bananart news

Have to say, this is all fine by me in the grand tradition of art prankery, but what was really scary was when the camera pans around to about a hundred people all recording the banana eater on their phones. Attention is what stuff like this thrives on, but thinking attention would be better than passive gawking.

FFS, there's my daily dose of feeling like an idiot. Thx for the correction. What's worse I've actually met the guy.:doh::freak::mcoat::hide:
Koons? Awesome! He's a great businessman.

...what was really scary was when the camera pans around to about a hundred people all recording the banana eater on their phones. Attention is what stuff like this thrives on, but thinking attention would be better than passive gawking.

“Non-iPhone zombie in audience intervenes by pouncing on the nana-nosher and restraining him mid-gobble. Have-a-go hero subsequently sued, as the apparently criminal consumption of the “installation” was a piece of “performance art” that had been planned all along as the finale to the exhibition.”

maximus otter

Koons? Awesome! He's a great businessman.
I think he is the most likely person to have earned Crowley's title of "the wickedest man in the world". I have never met a person for whom I could say with less certainty when he was joking and when he was serious; there is both cynicism and vision there. What is worse, I think sometimes he surprises himself. All-in-all a very entertaining trickster and a deceptively well-crafted kick in the posterior for the art world, or better, perhaps an aikido throw?

I think he is the most likely person to have earned Crowley's title of "the wickedest man in the world". I have never met a person for whom I could say with less certainty when he was joking and when he was serious; there is both cynicism and vision there. What is worse, I think sometimes he surprises himself. All-in-all a very entertaining trickster and a deceptively well-crafted kick in the posterior for the art world, or better, perhaps an aikido throw?
I think he's actually a clever fellow. He knows how to get other people to make his stuff and sell it. Minimal effort required.

Emiliano Zapata, hero of the Mexican Revolution, looking simply fabulous astride a somewhat excited horse. Oddly, some people have a problem with this.

View attachment 21729

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-50740323

In this case I would be on the side of the farmers. An attention seeking woke middle class shithead disrespects a hero of ordinary people. The same woke auto-eroticists who are supporting him would be outraged if he did a similar painting of Muhammad.

Among the protesters were many tenant farmers who admire Emiliano Zapata, who was himself a poor farmer, for the stand he took against the appropriation of land by rich landowners. They demonstrated outside the museum in central Mexico City for hours, some shouting homophobic slurs, which prompted a counter-demonstration by people defending sexual diversity. There were scuffles between the two sides.

The banana piece's buyers have now spoken, and I'm not sure what to make of it. I can see it as an example of trying to be too cunning by half, an embarrassing revelation of the buyers' questionable grasp on reality, a sad reflection on the devolution of "art" in our culture, or even an indictment of the times in which we live.

I'd missed the fact there were actually 3 such banana pieces exhibited and sold, and this makes me even sadder ...

Couple who bought $120k banana art sense it will be iconic

A Miami couple who bought a headline-grabbing banana duct-taped to a wall have acknowledged the absurdity of the artwork, but say they believe it will become an icon and plan to gift it to a museum.

Billy and Beatrice Cox said in a statement that they spent more than $100,000 on the “unicorn of the art world” after seeing “the public debate it sparked about art and our society.”

The conceptual artwork — “Comedian,” by Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan — was the talk of last week’s Art Basel Miami. The artist sold three editions, each in the $120,000 to $150,000 range, according to the Perrotin gallery.

“We are acutely aware of the blatant absurdity of the fact that “Comedian” is an otherwise inexpensive and perishable piece of produce and a couple inches of duct tape,” the Coxes said. “Ultimately we sense that Cattelan’s banana will become an iconic historical object.” ...

The piece became such a focus of gawking that the gallery removed it Sunday for the final day to encourage viewers to see the rest of the art fair.

The Miami couple — whose purchase included a “certificate of authenticity” along with the banana and the piece of tape — said they plan to loan and later gift the work to an unspecified art institution in hopes of attracting new generations to the museum.

They plan to throw out old bananas when appropriate. “Yes ... the banana itself will need to be replaced,” they said.

The couple compared the artwork to Andy Warhol’s now iconic “Campbell’s Soup Cans,” which said was initially “met with mockery.”

Critics reasoned they could easily recreate the pricey art following a quick trip to the grocery store, but the gallery said in a statement that certificates of authenticity are crucial in conceptual art.

Without one, “a piece of conceptual artwork is nothing more than its material representation.”
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/a53e1ece92974f26108ec14d222c3c31

A life-size wooden statue of US first lady Melania Trump has been unveiled in her birth country of Slovenia, but not everyone is pleased with it. ...
It's awful! What's the betting that a local sets light to it?

Update ...

The original wooden statue was indeed set afire in July 2020. It has now been replaced with a bronze simulacrum of the original wooden statue (as opposed to a bronze statue that looks remotely like her).

MelaniaNewStatue.jpeg

Bronze statue of US first lady is unveiled in Slovenia

A bronze statue representing U.S. first lady Melania Trump was unveiled Tuesday in her native Slovenia to replace a wooden one that was set on fire in July.

The new sculpture is a replica of the original one by U.S. artist Brad Downey and placed near Trump’s hometown of Sevnica, in central Slovenia.

The original statue was torched by unknown arsonists on July 4th. The rustic figure was cut from the trunk of a linden tree, showing her in a pale blue dress like the one she wore at Donald Trump’s presidential inauguration.

A plaque next to the new one reads it is “dedicated to the eternal memory of a monument to Melania which stood at this location.” ...

“We are here today because we put up again a statue of Melania to the place where it was burnt and to commemorate the statue that was set on fire,” said Slovenian artist Marko Vivoda.

The life-sized sculpture bears no obvious resemblance to the U.S. first lady. ...

FULL STORY (With Photos): https://apnews.com/fa29ec746c9200c33033177ac3a1d146

Possibly being sawn off at the cankles as we speak in preparation for melting down.
You beat me to it. It's still awful. Being cast in bronze doesn't make it a better artwork.

This could have been posted in the Spills and Sundry Messes thread, but it was declared to be 'art' ...
32 tons of carrots dumped on London street for art installation

The mystery of nearly 32 tons of carrots dumped onto a street on the campus of a London university was revealed to be an art installation by a student.

Londoners took to social media Wednesday with photos and questions about the giant pile of carrots dumped by a truck onto a road through the University of London campus. ...

The school revealed the pile of carrots is an art installation by Rafael Perez Evans, an art student at the university's Goldsmiths art college. ...

"Rafael has arranged for the carrots to be removed at the end of the exhibition run and donated to animals" ...

Evans said in a YouTube post that the installation is designed to raise awareness of food waste stemming from the devaluing of crops.

SOURCE (With Video):
https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...on-street-for-art-installation/9821601498408/

Anytime somebody does something dumb its either for art or for charity.

Im tired of silly art exhibitions.

or exhibitionism

Back