• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bright Flashes Of Light!

Biscuitmoon

Fresh Blood
Hi,I'm a newbie here,but I have had a lifelong interest in all things paranormal. I found this forum through Fortean Times.
A few years ago,maybe 5 years,our home ,which we have lived in for 25 years, began "being haunted" with all sorts of the usual strangeness but one of the more unusual things that used to happen was really bright,flashes of light that would fill the room,like a really bright camera flash.
This happened to me, my husband,and even once a room of 5 people sat talking. On that occasion the flash eminated from the centre of the room,and stunned everyone into silence. The flashes were always silent (no crackling) and very bright.
I'm asking on here as I have tried to find any one else that has experienced this ,but have always turned up nothing,I cannot find anyone ,ever having the same thing happen to them.
The phenomena in my house has gone now,and my house is no longer "haunted",as I think it had something to do with the renovation we were having done(that old adage !)
Has anyone ever heard of this,or had this in their house?

Hi,I'm a newbie here,but I have had a lifelong interest in all things paranormal. I found this forum through Fortean Times.
A few years ago,maybe 5 years,our home ,which we have lived in for 25 years, began "being haunted" with all sorts of the usual strangeness but one of the more unusual things that used to happen was really bright,flashes of light that would fill the room,like a really bright camera flash.
This happened to me, my husband,and even once a room of 5 people sat talking. On that occasion the flash eminated from the centre of the room,and stunned everyone into silence. The flashes were always silent (no crackling) and very bright.
I'm asking on here as I have tried to find any one else that has experienced this ,but have always turned up nothing,I cannot find anyone ,ever having the same thing happen to them.
The phenomena in my house has gone now,and my house is no longer "haunted",as I think it had something to do with the renovation we were having done(that old adage !)

:welc:

Interesting story. May I ask one or two questions (I don't have any answers, I'm just curious and perhaps further details may aid in identifying your phenomenon):

- was there a specific colour to the light: white? yellow? etc.
- when you say it emanated from the centre of the room, was it literally in the centre, e.g. in the air, or was it from on the floor /ceiling in the centre of the room?
- could it possibly have been a reflection of outside light (e,g. car headlights) reflected on some glass in the room?
- was it always in the same room, and what time of day or did it vary?
- how long roughly did the flash last for?

That is all :)

My house too kicks off when we do alterations or even decorate. We're planning some work in the new year so I expect to have something to report soon.

:welc:

Interesting story. May I ask one or two questions (I don't have any answers, I'm just curious and perhaps further details may aid in identifying your phenomenon):

- was there a specific colour to the light: white? yellow? etc.
- when you say it emanated from the centre of the room, was it literally in the centre, e.g. in the air, or was it from on the floor /ceiling in the centre of the room?
- could it possibly have been a reflection of outside light (e,g. car headlights) reflected on some glass in the room?
- was it always in the same room, and what time of day or did it vary?
- how long roughly did the flash last for?

That is all :)
Hi!
Thankyou for your interest!
To answer your questions,the light came from the centre of the room ,mid air and bright white,it lasted as long as a camera flash but much brighter. It all happened downstairs in the living room or kitchen, kitchen looks over the back garden so no cars. And the flashes are so bright and surprising and puzzling ,not frightening just strange. Mostly day time if I remember correctly. I honestly would have dismissed them if it was just me that had seen them,but my hubby had seen them and that room full of people too so who knows what it is!? Maybe some kind of build up of energy. I guess I will never know!

Hi!
Thankyou for your interest!
To answer your questions,the light came from the centre of the room ,mid air and bright white,it lasted as long as a camera flash but much brighter. It all happened downstairs in the living room or kitchen, kitchen looks over the back garden so no cars. And the flashes are so bright and surprising and puzzling ,not frightening just strange. Mostly day time if I remember correctly. I honestly would have dismissed them if it was just me that had seen them,but my hubby had seen them and that room full of people too so who knows what it is!? Maybe some kind of build up of energy. I guess I will never know!

Very very interesting, and thanks for taking the time to answer my questions :)

I can only think of some sort of ball-lightning but even then I'm not sure that fits.

What we probably can rule out - I think I'm safe in saying - is any sort of eye problem or migraine because of the multiple witnesses.

One other thing - I take it there was nothing out of the ordinary immediately prior to the flashes? Like some sort of preceding event/noise/whatever? I'm not necessarily talking about a noise from the light itself (or whatever caused it), but for instance, what was taking place immediately prior, any correlations between all the sightings? (e.g. always watching television, cooking,etc.?)

You will get to know that I'll often throw out random questions as they invade my brain when reading a thread; alas I am not as good at coming up with explanations... :reading:

EDIT: I have found this, which shows more accounts of similar - comments point to eye problems but at least one account has more than one person witnessing it, as in your case.

Very very interesting, and thanks for taking the time to answer my questions :)

I can only think of some sort of ball-lightning but even then I'm not sure that fits.

What we probably can rule out - I think I'm safe in saying - is any sort of eye problem or migraine because of the multiple witnesses.

One other thing - I take it there was nothing out of the ordinary immediately prior to the flashes? Like some sort of preceding event/noise/whatever? I'm not necessarily talking about a noise from the light itself (or whatever caused it), but for instance, what was taking place immediately prior, any correlations between all the sightings? (e.g. always watching television, cooking,etc.?)

You will get to know that I'll often throw out random questions as they invade my brain when reading a thread; alas I am not as good at coming up with explanations... :reading:

EDIT: I have found this, which shows more accounts of similar - comments point to eye problems but at least one account has more than one person witnessing it, as in your case.
Thankyou for this,I knew it was a good idea to ask on here! I can't think of anything that links all the flashes. One of the times I was getting a cup out of the kitchen cupboard and the flash came from behind me,like someone had come right up behind my head and took a photo with a really bright flash,another time my hubby was walking across the kitchen and it flashed in front of him,the kitchen was in darkness and it lit everything up for a second. Another was my husband and i were talking stood in the living room and it flashed next to us.
I don't mind questions at all. I have lots of other very strange and some frightening things that happened during this time too,but I wanted to start off slow and see if anyone had any ideas about this first! I'm already feeling better about it as now I know other people have experienced this too xx

Most strange, and once again thank you for taking time to answer questions and build up a clearer picture of your phenomenon. I want to say some sort of electrical/static type thing but in the absence of crackling or an electrical smell or hair standing on end, I doubt it could be.

Hopefully others may have more insight, but at least if you're feeling better to know you're not alone then that's something :)

And I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to know more of your occurrences, whenever you are ready that is. No hurry. :popc:

Hi Biscuitmoon:
Reading through your unusual accounts of 'Bright Flashes of Light,' reminds me of an event when I was attending College years ago, working in the computer suite at my consul in a room full of younger students - all making quite a lot of noise, I broke my attention away for a split second by looking above the monitor to adjust my eyes for a second, and from nowhere quite a large bright ball of light appeared about twenty feet away and about eight feet up in front of where I was sitting. The sphere of light gradually moved towards one of the walls and began to move upwards towards the corner of the ceiling.

As it reached the ceiling, it (only to me) made a loud "bang" before disappearing into the corner of the ceiling.
I looked around to see how the students in the room where reacting to this sudden loud noise, yet no-one else was even aware of it - which I found really puzzling!

Looking for a reason for this sudden apparition, I mentioned what I'd seen and heard to the Head Woman Librarian.
To my surprise, she didn't react how I thought she would react... replying that, "Oh, yes, that same thing has been reported in here before, it might be something to do with the work thats' going on in the rooms above as there are electricians working away up there ."

I couldn't fathom out quite what the link was between the electricians working in the room above, and a ball of light making a sudden loud bang in the room directly below them was, but that's' the explanation that was given to me at that time.

Hi Biscuitmoon:
Reading through your unusual accounts of 'Bright Flashes of Light,' reminds me of an event when I was attending College years ago, working in the computer suite at my consul in a room full of younger students - all making quite a lot of noise, I broke my attention away for a split second by looking above the monitor to adjust my eyes for a second, and from nowhere quite a large bright ball of light appeared about twenty feet away and about eight feet up in front of where I was sitting. The sphere of light gradually moved towards one of the walls and began to move upwards towards the corner of the ceiling.

As it reached the ceiling, it (only to me) made a loud "bang" before disappearing into the corner of the ceiling.
I looked around to see how the students in the room where reacting to this sudden loud noise, yet no-one else was even aware of it - which I found really puzzling!

Looking for a reason for this sudden apparition, I mentioned what I'd seen and heard to the Head Woman Librarian.
To my surprise, she didn't react how I thought she would react... replying that, "Oh, yes, that same thing has been reported in here before, it might be something to do with the work thats' going on in the rooms above as there are electricians working away up there ."

I couldn't fathom out quite what the link was between the electricians working in the room above, and a ball of light making a sudden loud bang in the room directly below them was, but that's' the explanation that was given to me at that time.
Oh wow! I have also found that when something like this has happened to me I also feel just really puzzled and there are only a few occasions where I felt fear,but they were different experiences x

Hi Biscuitmoon:

That does sound like ball lightning. Similar thing happened to my sister over 30 years ago.

It is not unusual to hear of "fairies" and the like becoming angry or agitated when their homes and pathways are disturbed. Nor is it unusual for those non-permanently-corporeal centres of consciousness known to us as "fairies" to appear as lights, "glowing orbs" or other intelligent plasmoid manifestations. This might be one entry way into your exploration of what was going on...

I had a flash of light last night,after I'd blown out the candles and left the lounge to go up to bed.A bright,yellowy colour.It wasn't a car outside - the curtains were drawn and the kitchen blind down,the front door is solid.
But then,I'm used to the unexplained happening in my house.

Hi, Biscuitmoon, welcome and thank you for such a fantastic first post!

I have lots of other very strange and some frightening things that happened during this time too,but I wanted to start off slow and see if anyone had any ideas about this first!
But then,I'm used to the unexplained happening in my house.
Details, please! :hapdan:

Sid, is it possible "your" Libriarian had just accepted an explanation that made some sort of sense to her ,thus stopping her having to entertain the idea that there was something amis with her view of the universe?

Or may be she knows something about electricians and Plasma balls that we don't!

Hi, Biscuitmoon, welcome and thank you for such a fantastic first post!

I have quite a lot from this time that happened, as I said before I have lived in this house for 25 years and nothing had happened up till the loft conversion. The phenomenon kind of came in cycles for about two years then slowed then stopped. Now we get nothing really.
I had the presence of mind to keep a diary of everything that happened so when I get time I will put it on here,maybe in a different thread. Thanks for your interest xx

I'm slightly put out that, having renovated a house, I have nothing to report. I wonder, was the work of the structural variety, as mine was refurbishment.

Fear not. We too are renovating our house and have not had any unexplained occurrences... but then we're taking so damn long to finish it that the spirits have probably got fed up.

Fear not. We too are renovating our house and have not had any unexplained occurrences... but then we're taking so damn long to finish it that the spirits have probably got fed up.

How (un?)lucky we are! I did often speak to the house and tell it how much we loved it and how what we were doing was all for its benefit, so maybe the spirits listened.

Glad I usually keep a record on OneNote of my experiences.
1577721500585.png

Hi Biscuitmoon and welcome to the forum.

We used to get this in our old London flat, a flash sometimes two or three times a day, that lasted less than a second at a time, but it was more corner of the eye thing.

The flash always emanated from the living room window, and only during daylight hours.

We never did work out what was causing it.

Welcome again.

Back