• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bristol Fashion!

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
This weekend, me and the Vectian are going to Bristol (invitation to 40th birthday party, drinks etc.).

Anyhooo, are there any local FTMBers from the area who can recommend a suitably haunted pub or central location to "pop into" while we are there?

Due to time constraints, we won't be able to do an all-nighter but I'd certainly like to check out a place or two while in the city.

A friend swears by the Ram inn and the black swann inn for hauntings. But they're not particularly central.

The Hatchett on Frogmore street is fairly old and spooky, with fortean-ish elements. Kenny Baker once danced on the bar there, and it claims that the door has a layer of human skin on it (Um, not really sure what that claim's all about now I think about it, built up over time possibly? It's usually one of the first things mentioned when discussing it anyway).

We'll visit the Hatchett anyway ... you don't think the name might play on the reputation - like one of the Eerie Pub Company chain?

Human skin, flayed on a door? Sounds like a mimic / repetition of the door in Westminster Abbey that has traces of the hide of Richard Puddlicote, cunning-man and mechant trader who got caught stealing the Crown Treasury during the reign of King Edward. At least he was dead when they flayed him.

Eeeeh ... now, that's what I call good criminal deterrance!

For haunted pubs close to one another, try King Street (the other side of the city centre from Frogmore Street) - The Llandoger Trow, The Naval Volunteer and the King William all have ghosts apparently, as does the Theatre Royal nearby.

The Greenhouse, at the bottom of Park Street, had a ghost while it was still the College Tavern - not sure if that's changed since the place was re-furbed.

The Theatre Royal and the Llandoger Trow are both mentioned by Jane Austen (not as haunted though) as well as modern writer Stephanie Barron - who writes historical mystery novels with Austen as detective!

Looks like we're spoiled for choice!

Back