Britain: Police State?

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
There are some worries about Dominic Cummings' job advertisement:
https://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/?p=11537

He also wants “Super-talented weirdos”, with examples given from William Gibson novels, such as “that Chinese-Cuban free runner from a crime family hired by the KGB.”

The remarkable things to me about this long document are what it doesn’t contain. In particular I see nothing at all about any specific policy goals. Usually a new government would recruit people by appealing to their desire to make the world a better place in some specific way, but there’s nothing about that here. The goal is to control the government and what the British population believes, but to what end?

In addition, a more conventional hiring process would be asking for candidates of high ethical values, with some devotion to telling the truth. Cummings seems to be asking for exactly the opposite: best if your background is “from a crime family hired by the KGB.”

Big majorities are boring, they said. Not so much. Dominic Cummings is hiring scientists and “weirdos”. This is a direct challenge to the civil service, the lobby and just about everyone in govt. Its also the only readable job advert ever written
https://dominiccummings.com/2020/01...ect-managers-policy-experts-assorted-weirdos/

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
There should be more stories about Beautiful Scientists and their Mad Daughters.
I remember Kate Winslett playing a scientist in some movie and she spent amounts of time in an interview saying how she had to frumpify herself for the role. Why? Aren’t scientists allowed to be hot?

Reaction score
I remember Kate Winslett playing a scientist in some movie and she spent amounts of time in an interview saying how she had to frumpify herself for the role. Why? Aren’t scientists allowed to be hot?
They usually wear specs which they whip off at a crucial moment, also letting their hair down at the same time. Then the male hero suddenly fancies them.

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Reaction score
Only if they're men. Then they're ruggedly handsome and don't get listened to until the disaster they've been warning against has happened.

If they're women scientists they have to be in one of six categories.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portrayal_of_women_scientists_in_film#Ways_of_Analyzing_Women_in_Film

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
Dear me, Mr Holmes. Surely we are not expecting the absurd media to in any way reflect the likelihood - or otherwise - of scientists / engineers conforming to some absurd geek stereotype?

On the Cummings point. I was a Civil Servant. I left because of the utter contempt within said service for anyone who actually understood the job they were responsible for. They have this creed that anyone should be able to manage anything - this might have been reasonable in say 900AD - it is absurd now.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Dear me, Mr Holmes. Surely we are not expecting the absurd media to in any way reflect the likelihood - or otherwise - of scientists / engineers conforming to some absurd geek stereotype?

On the Cummings point. I was a Civil Servant. I left because of the utter contempt within said service for anyone who actually understood the job they were responsible for. They have this creed that anyone should be able to manage anything - this might have been reasonable in say 900AD - it is absurd now.
The Irish Civil Service wasn't all bad, I worked in Social Welfare, was a full time trade union official for a few years, then back in Social Welfare
working on more complex cases. Then IT, to become a Systems Analyst I went through a 2 stage exam and a structured interview. To get into middle management, again a 2 tier exam and a structured interview. I eventually became a Bernard rather than a Sir Humphrey (stereotypes again). i completed many training courses including a diploma in systems analysis and systems design through the BCS: https://www.bcs.org/

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Reaction score
Morality is, like beauty, in the eye of the beholder. We can't go into the details here. no way of avoiding the politics. But let's just say I hate unions with a passion you can only dream of. They are the most elitist organisations you can think of.
That has not been my experience of trade unions. Quite the reverse. I have found them humane and caring, and helping ordinary people avoid excessive exploitation and endangerment at the hands of dictatorial employers who were quite happy to let them die on the job. I regard trade unions as a net social good if they haven't been infiltrated by organized crime... but then how many businesses have been infiltrated by organized crime... and police forces... and governments... ? To describe trade unions as elitist is interesting, as it is not the usual characterisation of them. What happened?

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Quote from The Spectator.

..but to encourage the rest to practise ‘crimestop’: ‘the faculty of stopping short, as though by instinct, at the threshold of any dangerous thought…

Sounds oddly familiar.

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Reaction score
To be fair, science doesn't generally attract immensely good looking men or women. Those types tend to skate on their looks for quite a while until age catches up with them.

balding13

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
To be fair, science doesn't generally attract immensely good looking men or women. Those types tend to skate on their looks for quite a while until age catches up with them.
I'm going to speculate that you don't regard yourself as good looking.

Cochise

Reaction score
That has not been my experience of trade unions. Quite the reverse. I have found them humane and caring, and helping ordinary people avoid excessive exploitation and endangerment at the hands of dictatorial employers who were quite happy to let them die on the job. I regard trade unions as a net social good if they haven't been infiltrated by organized crime... but then how many businesses have been infiltrated by organized crime... and police forces... and governments... ? To describe trade unions as elitist is interesting, as it is not the usual characterisation of them. What happened?
I'm afraid my experience of unions is similar to INT21's. Dominated by cliques and dedicated to the comfort of the senior union officials. I would prefer it otherwise.

Cochise

Reaction score

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Reaction score
All the female scientists and physios I know are endowed with ageless beauty and grace that goes wonderfully with their excellence in their field of work.

(Right, that should do for a few free drinks at the next Fortean meetup...)

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
That is rather a strange thing to say. Have you done a scientific study on this? I have known (and know) a lot of very good-looking scientists.