• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

British Big Game Hunting?

carole

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Last week I saw the tail end of a TV programme on cable. I can't remember which programme it was, but the gist of the bit I saw was that big cats (the programme showed a lynx which had been rescued) are/were being let loose on the moors and other isolated places to be shot, big game style by objectionable bastards with guns 'for fun'.

I've never heard of this before, has any one else?

If such a practice does occur, perhaps it might explain one or two ABC sightings?

Carole

just havinga google for any info... nothing yet. If it is an underground 'sport' (ahem) its a very very underground one.

Found a few links for deer stalking and stuff like that but nothing for the capture and release of big cats from gaming.
Have there been a large enough body of sightings to suggest a community of animals that could be hunted? Which leads me to think that if you want to find the ABC's keep an eye out for the hunters and they will lead you to the said crypto-beasties.

U need a licence to keep big cats in Uk..and the disapearence would certainly be missed i think!....

Wild Boar were treated in the same fashion with regards to game hunting but cats are not as easy to track down, unless of course they were in a very small vicinity, but letting a Lynx go one evening and then returning the following evening to shoot it seems daft because it could be anywhere. There are still people keeping cats with a license, but whilst fox-hunting may appeal to the toffee-nosed sicko's, chasing a Leopard across the moors is nigh on impossible.

yes have you noticed something about the things that are hunted and regarded as "game"...

Fishing- trout much too easy to catch with a worm so u have to make ait hard by useing a fly! Salmon dont eat in English rivers and basicly u have to anoy it enugh so that it strikes out agin at a fly (but resembleing a costume from Moulin Roug)

Shooting- Pheasants and partridges, types of bird that can hardly fly at all! and would much rather run or walk away! Neither are noted for their evasion tactics...

Foxes- one small dog hunted with the aid of up to 50 big dogs and horses and the colected brain cell of a mob...

Stags- great big things with the mind of a herbivore and one excape tactic that of running away til its knackered then colapsing...

Yep they are all thick!... but then its no fun hunting somthing that might get away!

I agree with Jon - to be a Sport, both sides should have an equal chance of 'winning'.

But blood sports are never 'equal'. Not totally one-sided, perhaps - the odd bull-fighter does get gored, some fox-hunters break their necks jumping over hedges - but on the whole the prey come to a sticky end.

(Wonderful euphemism, that, 'sticky end' - it presumably refers to the stickiness of congealing blood.)

sidecar_jon said:
U need a licence to keep big cats in Uk..and the disapearence would certainly be missed i think!....

People might breed them illegally ,it is illegal to breed pit bull terriers but you can still find puppies advertised , usually as 'Irish Staffords' . one of those tv RSPCA rescue programmes featured two lynx being kept in a farm building , the RSPCA were unable to trace their origin . I seem to recall the exotic animal laws in N Ireland are or were until recently much more liberal and people keep tigers and such in their back gardens though it might have changed now .

Big game hunting still goes on in Africa, but since the restrictions on using the MB make it impossible to find links at the moment, I'll use this thread to post this story:

Xanda, son of Cecil the lion, 'killed by hunter' in Zimbabwe
20 July 2017

Two years after Cecil the lion was killed by a trophy-hunter in Zimbabwe, prompting global outrage, his son may have met a similar sad end.

Xanda, a six-year-old lion with several young cubs, was reportedly shot on a trophy hunt.
He is said to have died outside the Hwange National Park in northern Zimbabwe.
The lion had been fitted with an electronic tracking collar by Oxford University researchers.

The BBC's Africa Correspondent, Andrew Harding, reports that at the age of six, Xanda was old enough to be legally targeted by big game hunters.

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-40671590

Xanda, son of Cecil the lion, 'killed by hunter' in Zimbabwe
20 July 2017

Two years after Cecil the lion was killed by a trophy-hunter in Zimbabwe, prompting global outrage, his son may have met a similar sad end.

These folks are pretty naive. if they think this lion came to a "sad end" they should see what nature eventually does to all wild animals...

These folks are pretty naive. if they think this lion came to a "sad end" they should see what nature eventually does to all wild animals...

But at least what nature does would be, you know, natural...

Hunting for food is natural.

Hunting for sport is not.

Personally, I think the terms 'natural' and 'unnatural' are quite meaningless. I guess one could endlessly debate it.

But around here, trophy hunting is an important part of conservation, and the economy, so I support it whether or not I find it distasteful.

Back