British Bigfoot?

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
These is no mystery in my case. My husband forgets all sorts of things. Including the fact that I don't get a mobile phone reception at work. I've only been there 12 years. :fslap:
Men don't need to remember things, women do that for them
:mcoat:

oldrover

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Have you told us about it?
I've said about the incident, but not the reaction. Basically my mate and I saw something in the sky, I pointed it out by saying 'what's that' or something, he looked and said 'I don't know' (I could write for the pictures you know) he saw it though. Next night he raised the incident that made us look up, a low flying helicopter, but when I mentioned the thing we'd seen right behind it, he just looked at me.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
Men don't need to remember things, women do that for them
:mcoat:
Shall I make you feel a bit ill? Okay then. Husband and I were trying to remember the name of a music venue in Bathgate. He thought it was Orange something and I thought it was Purple something. Turns out its Purple Orange. Together we got the name correct. Aww!

merricat

Princess of the paranormal paradiddle.
Reaction score
Yes. You did not dream it. I think he was Stockport area. He spoke of Bigfeet visiting him in his room but when he went to their place - the woods - they were much more shy.

I stumbled across the thread a few months back so it is still here. The videos were on Youtube but seem to have disappeared. :bear:
Yes. You did not dream it. I think he was Stockport area. He spoke of Bigfeet visiting him in his room but when he went to their place - the woods - they were much more shy.

I stumbled across the thread a few months back so it is still here. The videos were on Youtube but seem to have disappeared. :bear:
Bigfeet! Loving this for the plural :rollingw:

Edit - plural quotes and all!

merricat

Princess of the paranormal paradiddle.
Reaction score
You know I rather wish you hadn't asked that, especially after the mention of werewolves as when I described it to him he said he has seen it too but that he thought the figure was more dog-shaped. :wide:

As to how far away, difficult to judge distances but it was close-ish. Not right next to the train but not off in the distance either.
I’m possibly reaching a bit here but here goes. When you say it’s ‘blackness’ was a kind of ‘absense’ (this is terrifying), perhaps whatever it was might shift shape, so to speak. Maybe we would each perceive it slightly differently.
This is truly fascinating.

The forgetting is weird. If I was your husband I’d be going nuts trying to recall that!

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
I’m possibly reaching a bit here but here goes. When you say it’s ‘blackness’ was a kind of ‘absense’ (this is terrifying), perhaps whatever it was might shift shape, so to speak. Maybe we would each perceive it slightly differently.
This is truly fascinating.

The forgetting is weird. If I was your husband I’d be going nuts trying to recall that!
Well I wondered if he might have seen it from a slightly different angle. He was sitting closest to the window. Although I am not sure which is worse, dog-like or human-like or something shape-shifting in between. :boh:

(PS, I like your avatar!)

lordmongrove

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
At our last Edinburgh Fortean Society we had a speaker talking about Bigfoot in Scotland. I will be honest and say I wasn't really expecting to be impressed but the speaker was very compelling and the account of her initial sighting sounded almost exactly like something I have seen myself but couldn't put a name to. I reproduce it here for your interest/scorn.

A few months ago my husband and I went to Cardiff on holiday. We went by train and of course spent a fair amount of time looking out of the window. At some point, somewhere in England between Scotland and Wales (annoyingly I can't remember where) the train left a station and soon passed a wood with a field next to it. I saw something. I saw something weird. I only caught a glimpse as the train passed by. After a short space of time suitable between two people who don't quite know whether to say anything to each other or not, my husband looked at me. His expression suggested he had seen something weird but wasn't sure how to express it. I asked him if he had seen something weird and he said he had. I had seen a humanoid figure at the edge of the wood. I got the impression it was facing away from me but I am not sure how as it was entirely black. Not like someone wearing black clothes but like a total absence of that figure in the landscape (this is also how the bigfoot lady described the blackness of her creature). And it was freakishly large. I can't really say how big but just too big.

The really annoying part is – my husband now has absolutely no recollection of having seen this!

The blackness puts me in mind of the black stick men but mine wasn't very stick like and in fact pretty broad. Could the UK version of Bigfoot be the same or a similar phenomenon to the BSM?

Most of my Fortean experiences have been either really cool or interesting without being scary but this has rather disturbed me. :ghunt:
The description you give is almost exactly the same as the the description given by Jon Downes of the thing he saw at Bolham Lake. Here is a write up of the investigation but Jon dosn't go into much detail. http://www.cfz.org.uk/expeditions/03bolam/index.htm

lordmongrove

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
He called it 'a man shaped hole in reality'. A 7 foot plus man shaped thing of pure blackness that stood out even against the night.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
He called it 'a man shaped hole in reality'. A 7 foot plus man shaped thing of pure blackness that stood out even against the night.
Yes, that was it (although I saw mine in daylight). There is definitely something causing these experiences.

Bullseye

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
'a man shaped hole in reality'
One of the few things I've seen or not seen that I can't explain if you get my drift.I know I posted this many years ago but not sure what thread.
Was driving down a lane ,thick woodland either side,on my way to try to track down some Wild Boar. A boar sized (not shape) black "hole"ran into the woods on the left hand side of the lane.It was just an amorphous void,no definiate edges,could not understand or explain what it was.What was really wierd was that the first thing I thought was "Blackbird", immediately followed by "Who the f*** are you trying to kid?", it really felt like something had put "Blackbird" in my mind. Someone at the time possibly Swan suggested a tulpa caused by my youngest (autistic) son, good a reason as any.

CuriousIdent

Not yet SO old Great Old One
Reaction score
I find this notion fascinating. 'A man shaped hole in reality'. Something which, for some unknown reason, cannot be interpreted. Like some kind of... weird hex is preventing you. Like some kind of natural camouflage?

I live out in Warwickshire. We often see prototype cars from Jaguar, Land Rover and Aston Martin
driving around the region. You'll know it's a prototype because of the paintwork. Black and white swirls or zig zags, designed to make it difficult to pick out detail if the car is photographed. Something like this:

CAMO-5-jumbo.jpg

Now obviously that is nothing like the black space being described above. But I'm not wondering if something akin to a similar principle isn't someway in play here. A natural kind of camouflage designed to keep the human eye (or... whatever's eye) off seeing it.

nicnac168

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Just musing.........Some animals and plants emit light at wavelengths towards the ends of the spectrum visible too humans, is it possible that this is something similar? or even that they absorb some wavelengths and so appear really black to us?

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
A natural kind of camouflage designed to keep the human eye (or... whatever's eye) off seeing it.
Interesting idea but somehow even scarier. It sounds a bit like the *Peril Sensitive Sunglasses in Hitchhikers. What would I have seen had that camouflage not been there? :cskull:

*Sunglasses that, at the first hint of anything frightening, turned completely black thus preventing the wearer from seeing anything that might alarm them.

CuriousIdent

Reaction score
Interesting idea but somehow even scarier. It sounds a bit like the *Peril Sensitive Sunglasses in Hitchhikers. What would I have seen had that camouflage not been there? :cskull:

*Sunglasses that, at the first hint of anything frightening, turned completely black thus preventing the wearer from seeing anything that might alarm them.

When I started my last post I did think that maybe I should have tied it into a Somebody Else's Problem field theory. :)

But yeah. Some kind of wavelength based camouflage (as nicnac168 suggested above) could be plausible.

BlackPeter

Ancient Badger
Reaction score
Yes. It's deeply annoying. As a kid in the early 80s I recall the day that the Early Warning Siren in Coventry went off by mistake. I can remember my parents, and all the neighbours, poking their heads out into the street to question what the hell was going on.

My parents do not remember this ever happening. For years I would bring this up and they wouldn't believe it ever happened. Then last year I actually proved it happened via a few online local news articles referencing the event.

Then of course they were all like 'Oh! Oh, you know I do vaguely remember *something* like that...'.
God - I remember the Early Warning siren going off by accident happened all over Coventry/Nuneaton area but had not thought of it for years!!

CuriousIdent

Reaction score
God - I remember the Early Warning siren going off by accident happened all over Coventry/Nuneaton area but had not thought of it for years!!
Not the kind of thing you forget. But like I said, my parents only distantly remembered it after I produced news articles referencing it. They'd denied it for years. And I suppose this is the kind of response many people do have to seeing or experiencing something which was deeply disturbing. Blocking it out.

Same could be said for seeing something like a bigfoot. Or a manshaped void. Or whatever. It's disturbing. It shouldn't be there. So you deny it.

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Reaction score
I was quite taken with this item from Bob Gymlan's youtube channel about Squatches:
Relating not so much to sight as to sound, but possibly relevant.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Someone raised an interesting point about the possibility of infrasound draining batteries. This has been experienced by people at allegedly haunted locations.

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Here's a link to a google map of clickable UK reports -

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1s1zOmmdM216PMftPUM9K1qqGrFg&ll=52.12507860202007,-1.8396613158935224&z=8

Not just Bigfoot but werewolves, Black Dogs and a couple of Owlmen.
My kid and his mate claim to have seen a Black Dog - in the porch of a church (behind locked metal gates) - one evening. Son says his friend still remembers it too. Not sure what to make of it but he never mentioned it at the time just years later.

CuriousIdent

Reaction score
My kid and his mate claim to have seen a Black Dog - in the porch of a church (behind locked metal gates) - one evening. Son says his friend still remembers it too. Not sure what to make of it but he never mentioned it at the time just years later.

What is it with Black Dogs and church doors? This sounds like Black Shuck all over again! ;)

Waymarker

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Speaking of black dogs and anything alse that might be out there, hopefully I'll be able to see them with this, my Hawke NV1000 night vision monocular!
Price was a bit steep at 200 GBpounds/ 300 USdollars but being able to see in the dark is worth it.
Still testing it out, can't wait to get out onto Dartmoor to look for any pups that Baskerville thing might have had..

Below-The 3 stars of Orion's belt seen by the Hawke. It's not exactly Hubble quality but its not bad, it also shows fainter stars not visible to the human eye-

Below- Hi ladies! The faint light of a nearby streetlamp lights everywhere up like a floodlight to the Hawke-

Below- Smeaton's Lighthouse in Plymouth as seen by the Hawke in near-pitch black conditions-

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I'd be a wee bit careful taking pictures of women walking along in the dark, Waymarker. Not sure I'd like it if I thought someone was watching me while I was strolling along...

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
What is it with Black Dogs and church doors? This sounds like Black Shuck all over again! ;)
He hadn't even heard of Black Shucks, gytrashes, whatever - I just started talking about it one day (had read a nineteenth century account of one nearby and was telling my husband) and he realised what I was describing was what him and his mate had seen, years before - he didn't even know it was A Thing.

ETA: He asked his friend afterwards if they really had seen it, or it was just one of those false memory things and he says friend recalled it as he remembered... Vicar doesn't have a giant black dog to my knowledge and in any case it was behind the locked porch gate which covers the entire front of the church porch at night and is always locked, unless a service is on (which they aren't, usually, midweek). In other words: the dog was between the locked church door and the locked wrought iron porch gate and knowing the path they were on, they would have passed within inches of it, as the only path in the graveyard goes right by the church door. This wasn't summat they saw from some distance!

Last edited:

CuriousIdent

Reaction score
He hadn't even heard of Black Shucks, gytrashes, whatever - I just started talking about it one day (had read a nineteenth century account of one nearby and was telling my husband) and he realised what I was describing was what him and his mate had seen, years before - he didn't even know it was A Thing.

ETA: He asked his friend afterwards if they really had seen it, or it was just one of those false memory things and he says friend recalled it as he remembered... Vicar doesn't have a giant black dog to my knowledge and in any case it was behind the locked porch gate which covers the entire front of the church porch at night and is always locked, unless a service is on (which they aren't, usually, midweek). In other words: the dog was between the locked church door and the locked wrought iron porch gate and knowing the path they were on, they would have passed within inches of it, as the only path in the graveyard goes right by the church door. This wasn't summat they saw from some distance!

Yeah. Makes you wonder how it got in there. :worry:

It does sound like a very plausible Black Dog encounter. What area of the world was this in, btw (if you don;t mind me asking?)

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yeah. Makes you wonder how it got in there. :worry:

It does sound like a very plausible Black Dog encounter. What area of the world was this in, btw (if you don;t mind me asking?)
North Yorkshire, near York, so not entirely devoid of alleged paranormal events. I think at the time kid didn't even mention it because he thought it was just a big scary dog, somehow in the porch, and he was in no danger because of the closed gate - he didn't think it was particularly 'supernatural' but both kids remembered it.

Occurs to me now, that the big gate (there because it has a spectacular Norman archway they presumably don't want anything happening to) is always closed and locked when I go past at night with my little white gytrash onna lead... And if the church door is open (daytime), the gate is not pushed shut, but wide open - also no-one would be inside the church with their dog if the gate is locked... The black dog sighting I was reading about seems to have occurred about two miles away. My house is between the two.

I can't remember where I read about it but it was probably a little local monograph or could have been an unpublished 19thC source as I do a little research in the archives from time to time. That too seemed credible as the witness was, apparently, the village schoolmaster.

The 'sightings' were in two different parishes, but only a couple of miles apart.

Toby Reyes

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
interesting. I've never heard of a British Bigfoot.

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
For me the problem with all these supposed animal type things like Nessie and Bigfoot are... where are the dead uns? Where are the droppings? Me and my son were watching some thing about Mothman and we both had the same thought - that the reality of even a little sparrow is bird crap. It gets everywhere. If there were these humanoid, human sized things with wings in the sky - (a) they'd be unmissable and (b) poo? (c) Eggs. (d) Dead. (e) Young ones blundering about not being as good at hiding as the grown up ones. And so on.

ETA. Re British Bigfoot I just looked again to see if I can at least see which Anything Ghost episode was the really creepy one about the Scottish Bigfoot, but still can't find it. (Elusive, them Bigfeet). Maybe someone here has better Google fu - it really was one of the best stories on there, I thought.

Polidori

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Anthropologist Kewaunee Lapseritis puts forward the concept that the Sasquatch are actually a people, not an animal, and they are essentially inter-dimensional in nature. Many encounters seem to feature PSI phenomena in various forms. This would also go some way to explain how traces of their existence are not generally apparent to human observation, (droppings, etc). And also it puts them into the same framework as spiritual entities like shadow people and fairies.
The more common (and often quite blinkered) assumption, held by people like Matt Moneymaker, seems to be that they must be ape creatures.