• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

British Bigfoot?

British Bigfoot Research

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Hey there members. This is my first post here and it may seem a strange one. But I am a founder/researcher of the British Bigfoot Research team and we actively investigate sightings of hairy, ape-men type creatures that occur in the UK, hominids similar to the Bigfoot of the United States. Often, witnesses of the 'British Bigfoot' feel embarrassed, ashamed and feel stupid for coming forward with their sightings, encounters and reports but we are an organization where people can report their sightings and experiences without fear of ridicule. What this post is for is a call out to anyone who may have had an encounter or sighting with one of these creatures. They are spotted in rural areas mostly. Have any of you guys experienced something in the UK that would connect with what my team are searching for? I know this may be met with a lot of ridicule and joking but I am being serious. I leave our email address where you can contact us and also a link to our Facebook page.

Thanks so much for your time.

[email protected]

www.facebook.com/groups/britishbigfootresearch

1. Bigfoot spotted in Tunbridge Wells - November 2012

Claims abounded that a strange creature had been spotted in woodland near Tunbridge Wells.
Dubbed the Kentish Apeman, it was said he was a mighty eight-foot tall, was covered in hair and had red demonic eyes.

The 2012 sighting tied in with one nearly 70 years ago on the same spot on Tunbridge Wells Common – the 200-acre wooded site which sits in the centre of the town - and after it was reported, it jogged the memory of another local resident.

He went online to reveal how it tallied closely with a story he had heard years ago.
The author, who billed themselves as Graham S from the town, revealed how when he was working as a painter in the house of an elderly lady, she regaled him with a tale of coming face to face with the apeman on the Common during World War Two.

The post read: “One particular day she went to the Common with her husband and was sitting on a bench when they became aware of a shuffling noise behind them.
“Upon turning around both her husband and herself saw what she described as a tall, hairy ape like creature with eyes that were burning a reddish colour and it was moving towards them at a slow pace. They observed this creature for some time until they became afraid and they both fled – terrified.
“She went on to say that they told the police and members of their family, thinking that a gorilla had escaped from a zoo, but were laughed at and were not believed.”

http://www.kentnews.co.uk/news/top_...s_including_bigfoot_spotted_in_kent_1_3984947

Several years ago I was living in Blackley, on the edge of Manchester, one evening I visited Boggart Hole Clough with my family. The time was around 9:30PM we arrived, it was pitch black and then it started. Stones appeared in front of our feet, we had something hidden throwing at us but what. We had the feeling that something was watching us, as me and my mum froze on the spot, my mum's ex continued walking along the path when more stones came flying out of nowhere. We left that night and though we knew nobody else was there, something was there.

So that is my story, if you had any similar experiences in the UK then I would like to hear

Why did you go at night?

It reminds me more of a poltergeist than a bigfoot. Never heard of a stone-throwing bigfoot.

In the UK there is simply not enough wilderness for such a creature to exist and not be know about by now. I have always had my doubts about bigfoot in north America, but at least in the USA/Canada there is enough unexplored wilderness for such a creature to survive.

In the UK there is simply not enough wilderness for such a creature to exist and not be know about by now. I have always had my doubts about bigfoot in north America, but at least in the USA/Canada there is enough unexplored wilderness for such a creature to survive.

Could hide in plain sight in Norfolk.

Several years ago I was living in Blackley, on the edge of Manchester, one evening I visited Boggart Hole Clough with my family. The time was around 9:30PM we arrived, it was pitch black and then it started. Stones appeared in front of our feet, we had something hidden throwing at us but what. We had the feeling that something was watching us, as me and my mum froze on the spot, my mum's ex continued walking along the path when more stones came flying out of nowhere. We left that night and though we knew nobody else was there, something was there.

So that is my story, if you had any similar experiences in the UK then I would like to hear

If the place is called Boggart hole, it must have had form for this sort of thing back when it was named. Did the name influence your decision to visit?

No the name never influenced me to go as I was young at that time and well we liked going for walks and boggart hole clough was a very enjoyable walk so we decided to give it a little trip through one evening.

If you take a look at not only American Sasquatch but also of the legends then you will hear quite a lot about them throwing rocks/stones

At our last Edinburgh Fortean Society we had a speaker talking about Bigfoot in Scotland. I will be honest and say I wasn't really expecting to be impressed but the speaker was very compelling and the account of her initial sighting sounded almost exactly like something I have seen myself but couldn't put a name to. I reproduce it here for your interest/scorn.

A few months ago my husband and I went to Cardiff on holiday. We went by train and of course spent a fair amount of time looking out of the window. At some point, somewhere in England between Scotland and Wales (annoyingly I can't remember where) the train left a station and soon passed a wood with a field next to it. I saw something. I saw something weird. I only caught a glimpse as the train passed by. After a short space of time suitable between two people who don't quite know whether to say anything to each other or not, my husband looked at me. His expression suggested he had seen something weird but wasn't sure how to express it. I asked him if he had seen something weird and he said he had. I had seen a humanoid figure at the edge of the wood. I got the impression it was facing away from me but I am not sure how as it was entirely black. Not like someone wearing black clothes but like a total absence of that figure in the landscape (this is also how the bigfoot lady described the blackness of her creature). And it was freakishly large. I can't really say how big but just too big.

The really annoying part is – my husband now has absolutely no recollection of having seen this!

The blackness puts me in mind of the black stick men but mine wasn't very stick like and in fact pretty broad. Could the UK version of Bigfoot be the same or a similar phenomenon to the BSM?

Most of my Fortean experiences have been either really cool or interesting without being scary but this has rather disturbed me. :ghunt:

Does anyone else here remember a local to Manchester chap posting a vid of himself in some woods in Manchester a few years back on this site? .. he was swearing there was a Manc Bigfoot and that he'd seen it ...

Yes. You did not dream it. I think he was Stockport area. He spoke of Bigfeet visiting him in his room but when he went to their place - the woods - they were much more shy.

I stumbled across the thread a few months back so it is still here. The videos were on Youtube but seem to have disappeared. :bear:

Does anyone else here remember a local to Manchester chap posting a vid of himself in some woods in Manchester a few years back on this site? .. he was swearing there was a Manc Bigfoot and that he'd seen it ...
I remember this too. I can't remember if the train passed through Manchester but according to a map our speaker showed, Bigfoot has been seen pretty much everywhere in the UK apart from the Outer Hebrides and Shetland.

I've tried to find it but can't. But one of the most interesting stories on the podcast 'Anything Ghost' was submitted by someone who went camping in Scotland and had a very eerie, Bigfootesque encounter. Sadly, it was probably more than ten episodes ago and older episodes are now behind a paywall but at the time I remember thinking it was absolutely one of the best stories on there, and I've been listening for years.

"The really annoying part is – my husband now has absolutely no recollection of having seen this!"

some years ago, I would say around 2000-2002, my wife, who was flying out to london or Frankfurt or some other bookfair, called me from the airport, super-alarmed, telling me she had seen a man with no eyes - no slits or anything either, just flat smooth skin where the eyes should have been. she was upset enough to call me and tell me that.
she went to the fair etc. and when she came back she denied the whole episode. and she still says that i dreamt the whole thing and it never happened and she never called . whereas she went as far as to go find a payphone (those were the days when cellphone calls were still super expensive) and call me.

At our last Edinburgh Fortean Society we had a speaker talking about Bigfoot in Scotland. I will be honest and say I wasn't really expecting to be impressed but the speaker was very compelling and the account of her initial sighting sounded almost exactly like something I have seen myself but couldn't put a name to. I reproduce it here for your interest/scorn.

A few months ago my husband and I went to Cardiff on holiday. We went by train and of course spent a fair amount of time looking out of the window. At some point, somewhere in England between Scotland and Wales (annoyingly I can't remember where) the train left a station and soon passed a wood with a field next to it. I saw something. I saw something weird. I only caught a glimpse as the train passed by. After a short space of time suitable between two people who don't quite know whether to say anything to each other or not, my husband looked at me. His expression suggested he had seen something weird but wasn't sure how to express it. I asked him if he had seen something weird and he said he had. I had seen a humanoid figure at the edge of the wood. I got the impression it was facing away from me but I am not sure how as it was entirely black. Not like someone wearing black clothes but like a total absence of that figure in the landscape (this is also how the bigfoot lady described the blackness of her creature). And it was freakishly large. I can't really say how big but just too big.

The really annoying part is – my husband now has absolutely no recollection of having seen this!

The blackness puts me in mind of the black stick men but mine wasn't very stick like and in fact pretty broad. Could the UK version of Bigfoot be the same or a similar phenomenon to the BSM?

Most of my Fortean experiences have been either really cool or interesting without being scary but this has rather disturbed me. :ghunt:

How close d'you reckon you were to 'the thing' & did your husband see the same thing as you when you discussed it at the time? You say
"His expression suggested he had seen something weird but wasn't sure how to express it. I asked him if he had seen something weird and he said he had."
- but did he describe the same thing as you or something else or didn't he say exactly what he'd seen?

"The really annoying part is – my husband now has absolutely no recollection of having seen this!"

some years ago, I would say around 2000-2002, my wife, who was flying out to london or Frankfurt or some other bookfair, called me from the airport, super-alarmed, telling me she had seen a man with no eyes - no slits or anything either, just flat smooth skin where the eyes should have been. she was upset enough to call me and tell me that.
she went to the fair etc. and when she came back she denied the whole episode. and she still says that i dreamt the whole thing and it never happened and she never called . whereas she went as far as to go find a payphone (those were the days when cellphone calls were still super expensive) and call me.

That is weird. Possibly, having seen something so unusual as to have never been seen before, your rational brain cannot accept it or process it, decides it never happened & doesn't bother saving the memory.

Or is it possible it was a dream? Are you sure you were wide awake when she called? Time of day etc.

That is weird. Possibly, having seen something so unusual as to have never been seen before, your rational brain cannot accept it or process it, decides it never happened & doesn't bother saving the memory.

Or is it possible it was a dream? Are you sure you were wide awake when she called? Time of day etc.
It was in the morning, I was wide awake getting ready for work. not a dream. I think she blocked the memory.

How close d'you reckon you were to 'the thing' & did your husband see the same thing as you when you discussed it at the time? You say - but did he describe the same thing as you or something else or didn't he say exactly what he'd seen?
You know I rather wish you hadn't asked that, especially after the mention of werewolves as when I described it to him he said he has seen it too but that he thought the figure was more dog-shaped. :wide:

As to how far away, difficult to judge distances but it was close-ish. Not right next to the train but not off in the distance either.

"she denied the whole episode. and she still says that i dreamt the whole thing"

This and Min 's post reminded me of the slightly spooky experience I had, walking back through the woods from a beer festival with a friend around a year ago.
I was at another beer festival last weekend with the same friend and mentioned to him that it was almost exactly a year previously that I'd heard a voice and said something, but there was no-one there. At the time my friend said it had given him the creeps. Last week though he looked at me blankly and denied all knowledge of it.
My original post is on page 120 of the Minor Strangeness thread.

Last edited:
People have a tendency to blank out events they can't accept logically. It's a really annoying habit.

Yes. It's deeply annoying. As a kid in the early 80s I recall the day that the Early Warning Siren in Coventry went off by mistake. I can remember my parents, and all the neighbours, poking their heads out into the street to question what the hell was going on.

My parents do not remember this ever happening. For years I would bring this up and they wouldn't believe it ever happened. Then last year I actually proved it happened via a few online local news articles referencing the event.

Then of course they were all like 'Oh! Oh, you know I do vaguely remember *something* like that...'.

You know I rather wish you hadn't asked that, especially after the mention of werewolves as when I described it to him he said he has seen it too but that he thought the figure was more dog-shaped. :wide:

As to how far away, difficult to judge distances but it was close-ish. Not right next to the train but not off in the distance either.

Good story. It'd be interesting to go back there & see if there's some combination of things - trees, bushes, landscape, that add up to a pareidolia effect viewed from the right place, but since you don't know exactly where it was, it'll probably have to remain 'one of those things'.

Good story. It'd be interesting to go back there & see if there's some combination of things - trees, bushes, landscape, that add up to a pareidolia effect viewed from the right place, but since you don't know exactly where it was, it'll probably have to remain 'one of those things'.
Yes, I was wondering that too. Unfortunately a train journey to Cardiff from Edinburgh is not a small thing so unlikely we will be doing it again soon. Well, not now the Dr Who exhibition has closed..

People have a tendency to blank out events they can't accept logically. It's a really annoying habit.
people can also have a habit of humouring you when you say youve seen something weird, or they werent quite sure what you meant or didnt quite hear what you said ... when it comes to recounting it later this can result in a raised eyebrow ...

Back