• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

British Bigfoot?

God - I remember the Early Warning siren going off by accident happened all over Coventry/Nuneaton area but had not thought of it for years!!

Not the kind of thing you forget. But like I said, my parents only distantly remembered it after I produced news articles referencing it. They'd denied it for years. And I suppose this is the kind of response many people do have to seeing or experiencing something which was deeply disturbing. Blocking it out.

Same could be said for seeing something like a bigfoot. Or a manshaped void. Or whatever. It's disturbing. It shouldn't be there. So you deny it.

I was quite taken with this item from Bob Gymlan's youtube channel about Squatches:
Relating not so much to sight as to sound, but possibly relevant.

Someone raised an interesting point about the possibility of infrasound draining batteries. This has been experienced by people at allegedly haunted locations.

Here's a link to a google map of clickable UK reports -

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1s1zOmmdM216PMftPUM9K1qqGrFg&ll=52.12507860202007,-1.8396613158935224&z=8

Not just Bigfoot but werewolves, Black Dogs and a couple of Owlmen.
My kid and his mate claim to have seen a Black Dog - in the porch of a church (behind locked metal gates) - one evening. Son says his friend still remembers it too. Not sure what to make of it but he never mentioned it at the time just years later.

My kid and his mate claim to have seen a Black Dog - in the porch of a church (behind locked metal gates) - one evening. Son says his friend still remembers it too. Not sure what to make of it but he never mentioned it at the time just years later.

What is it with Black Dogs and church doors? This sounds like Black Shuck all over again! ;)

Speaking of black dogs and anything alse that might be out there, hopefully I'll be able to see them with this, my Hawke NV1000 night vision monocular!
Price was a bit steep at 200 GBpounds/ 300 USdollars but being able to see in the dark is worth it.
Still testing it out, can't wait to get out onto Dartmoor to look for any pups that Baskerville thing might have had..
hawke-monocular_zps3a4ab391.jpg~original

Below-The 3 stars of Orion's belt seen by the Hawke. It's not exactly Hubble quality but its not bad, it also shows fainter stars not visible to the human eye-
nite-belt-orion2_zps5c5d9b29.jpg~original

Below- Hi ladies! The faint light of a nearby streetlamp lights everywhere up like a floodlight to the Hawke-
nite4_zps0b1d58b5.jpg~original

Below- Smeaton's Lighthouse in Plymouth as seen by the Hawke in near-pitch black conditions-
nite2_zpsb5ae5fe2.jpg~original

What is it with Black Dogs and church doors? This sounds like Black Shuck all over again! ;)
He hadn't even heard of Black Shucks, gytrashes, whatever - I just started talking about it one day (had read a nineteenth century account of one nearby and was telling my husband) and he realised what I was describing was what him and his mate had seen, years before - he didn't even know it was A Thing.

ETA: He asked his friend afterwards if they really had seen it, or it was just one of those false memory things and he says friend recalled it as he remembered... Vicar doesn't have a giant black dog to my knowledge and in any case it was behind the locked porch gate which covers the entire front of the church porch at night and is always locked, unless a service is on (which they aren't, usually, midweek). In other words: the dog was between the locked church door and the locked wrought iron porch gate and knowing the path they were on, they would have passed within inches of it, as the only path in the graveyard goes right by the church door. This wasn't summat they saw from some distance!

Last edited:
He hadn't even heard of Black Shucks, gytrashes, whatever - I just started talking about it one day (had read a nineteenth century account of one nearby and was telling my husband) and he realised what I was describing was what him and his mate had seen, years before - he didn't even know it was A Thing.

ETA: He asked his friend afterwards if they really had seen it, or it was just one of those false memory things and he says friend recalled it as he remembered... Vicar doesn't have a giant black dog to my knowledge and in any case it was behind the locked porch gate which covers the entire front of the church porch at night and is always locked, unless a service is on (which they aren't, usually, midweek). In other words: the dog was between the locked church door and the locked wrought iron porch gate and knowing the path they were on, they would have passed within inches of it, as the only path in the graveyard goes right by the church door. This wasn't summat they saw from some distance!

Yeah. Makes you wonder how it got in there. :worry:

It does sound like a very plausible Black Dog encounter. What area of the world was this in, btw (if you don;t mind me asking?)

Yeah. Makes you wonder how it got in there. :worry:

It does sound like a very plausible Black Dog encounter. What area of the world was this in, btw (if you don;t mind me asking?)
North Yorkshire, near York, so not entirely devoid of alleged paranormal events. I think at the time kid didn't even mention it because he thought it was just a big scary dog, somehow in the porch, and he was in no danger because of the closed gate - he didn't think it was particularly 'supernatural' but both kids remembered it.

Occurs to me now, that the big gate (there because it has a spectacular Norman archway they presumably don't want anything happening to) is always closed and locked when I go past at night with my little white gytrash onna lead... And if the church door is open (daytime), the gate is not pushed shut, but wide open - also no-one would be inside the church with their dog if the gate is locked... The black dog sighting I was reading about seems to have occurred about two miles away. My house is between the two.

I can't remember where I read about it but it was probably a little local monograph or could have been an unpublished 19thC source as I do a little research in the archives from time to time. That too seemed credible as the witness was, apparently, the village schoolmaster.

The 'sightings' were in two different parishes, but only a couple of miles apart.

interesting. I've never heard of a British Bigfoot.

For me the problem with all these supposed animal type things like Nessie and Bigfoot are... where are the dead uns? Where are the droppings? Me and my son were watching some thing about Mothman and we both had the same thought - that the reality of even a little sparrow is bird crap. It gets everywhere. If there were these humanoid, human sized things with wings in the sky - (a) they'd be unmissable and (b) poo? (c) Eggs. (d) Dead. (e) Young ones blundering about not being as good at hiding as the grown up ones. And so on.

ETA. Re British Bigfoot I just looked again to see if I can at least see which Anything Ghost episode was the really creepy one about the Scottish Bigfoot, but still can't find it. (Elusive, them Bigfeet). Maybe someone here has better Google fu - it really was one of the best stories on there, I thought.

Anthropologist Kewaunee Lapseritis puts forward the concept that the Sasquatch are actually a people, not an animal, and they are essentially inter-dimensional in nature. Many encounters seem to feature PSI phenomena in various forms. This would also go some way to explain how traces of their existence are not generally apparent to human observation, (droppings, etc). And also it puts them into the same framework as spiritual entities like shadow people and fairies.
The more common (and often quite blinkered) assumption, held by people like Matt Moneymaker, seems to be that they must be ape creatures.

Anthropologist Kewaunee Lapseritis puts forward the concept that the Sasquatch are actually a people, not an animal, and they are essentially inter-dimensional in nature. Many encounters seem to feature PSI phenomena in various forms. This would also go some way to explain how traces of their existence are not generally apparent to human observation, (droppings, etc). And also it puts them into the same framework as spiritual entities like shadow people and fairies.
The more common (and often quite blinkered) assumption, held by people like Matt Moneymaker, seems to be that they must be ape creatures.

Is it "quite blinkered", or is it just more rational? While I don't believe in Sasquatch, if it were to exist, I would say the chances of it being some kind of ape was orders of magnitude more likely than it being something "inter-dimensional" or paranormal.

On one hand, it falls to cryptozoologists to prove the existence of an extant great ape unknown to science, in an area that has no native apes. On the other, it would fall to cryptozoologists to prove phenomena utterly unknown to science and then to prove that said phenomena tie in to Sasquatch. One is incredibly unlikely, the other I'm prepared to say is impossible.

Myself and others have touched on a dislike for the "paranormal" explanations for Sasquatch elsewhere on this forum, but to me it looks like desperately clinging to false hope. When rational science tells you that what you're looking for doesn't exist, the answer is not to rewrite science. And when your answer for why there's no physical evidence is to argue for some paranormal or supernatural explanation, it starts to look less like you're an objective researcher, and more like you're trying to get something out of this cryptozoology racket, so you'll keep it going no matter what.

I don't think Britain has big enough forests or wild areas to support a population of anomalous giant apes.
It's just not credible.
Yes. Very true. USA, on the other hand, might possibly be able to sustain a huge creature. What baffles me is the that there is no full body specimen (not to my knowledge) of Bigfoot. With all the technology today, we haven't even captured Bigfoot nor gained any factual proof.

Last edited:
Yes. Very true. USA, on the other hand, might possibly be able to sustain a huge creature. What baffles me is the that there is no full body specimen (not to my knowledge) of Bigfoot. With all the technology today, we haven't even captured Bigfoot nor gained any factual proof.
Many now consider the famous Patterson film of 1967, likely to be the genuine article, and there’s some fantastic research by MK Davis on YouTube into it, (user name Greenwave2010fb).

Many now consider the famous Patterson film of 1967, likely to be the genuine article, and there’s some fantastic research by MK Davis on YouTube into it, (user name Greenwave2010fb).

Yeah, but plenty more believe it to be a bloke in a gorilla suit - we have an extensive thread on it in the Cryptozoology forum where it's been debated back and forth for years.

OK, so basically what’s being said here is: Bigfoot is unlikely to be a real being because of the total lack of hard evidence, like a body or at least some convincing film. There couldn’t be Sasquatch in the UK because the place isn’t big enough. And they can’t have an inter-dimensional nature because rational science doesn’t accept that.
I’ve got it. That’s certainly put me in my place...

OK, so basically what’s being said here is: Bigfoot is unlikely to be a real being because of the total lack of hard evidence, like a body or at least some convincing film. There couldn’t be Sasquatch in the UK because the place isn’t big enough. And they can’t have an inter-dimensional nature because rational science doesn’t accept that.
I’ve got it. That’s certainly put me in my place...

Don't sound so downhearted! We're here to discuss, and all (well, most) theories are welcome so we can thrash them out. There's certainly places in Britain where a wild man could live, but a whole race, or even family of them... eh, maybe not.

Don’t worry, I’m still smiling. In fact: when people mention rational science as an authority, it always induces a great big grin on my face.

Yeah - rational science - I refute it thus! :D

Yes bigfoot (or similar ape-creatures) exist in virtually every country and climate. Just spotted one in the backyard, image that the bugger.
:bf:

I heard a podcast somewhere (so it must be true!) which in part said that the son of one of the Patterson 'crew' fessed-up to overhearing a conversation about the making or hiring of a gorilla suit for the film, and that it was widely known that the whole thing was a hoax, but it just grew and grew!

Regarding bigfoot bodies and evidence, etc. I'm on the fence. To state the obvious, it's just like UFOs and ghosts in that the subject keeps being sighted but has no real evidence - Charles Fort's "Damned Evidence"! Lots of people claim sightings - and have done for centuries or much longer - so there's either something really going on, or it's got something to do with human perception/psychology - like ghosts and UFOs.

On the other hand, I'm certain there are hundreds of hunters out each weekend determined to be the first to kill one! This must have been going on for decades. Yet not one to our certain knowledge has been shot, killed and paraded as proof; how can this be?

Back to the the OP; a flesh-and-blood animal living in the British Isles? No, I don't think so. We're far too crowded an island, except possibly in some of the remote parts of Scotland, which are nowhere near as remote as most parts of the US! But if it's got something to to with perception, etc. then why not? Although if that were the case, surely they'd be just as likely to manifest in Sainsburys as anywhere else!

Jury's out, still, after 50 years. For every believer there's a debunker: what's certain is that half a century in nobody has conclusive proof either way. I can say, justifiably, I've probably studied it more than most, and I still don't know one way or the other.

As I've said time and again regarding the phenomenon as a whole: whatever its nature, people - smart, experienced, sober people - are seeing something. Whatever it is, or whether its a dozen different things that all manifest similarly (a theory I'm currently working on), it's happening often and consistently enough to warrant proper investigation.

I couldn’t agree more. But I’m also comfortable to consider that rational science, as we currently know it, can’t provide an accurate answer to these questions about Bigfoot.

What’s the crime, after all? This is the Fortean Times forum and I don’t remember Charles Fort ever having any trustful regard to rational science.

Back