• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

British Man Beast?

For the record, i don't think yeti are running around in Britain (except on the London Underground).

I'm sure some signtings stem from someone reconstructing a sighting for a TV program.

It isn't much of a report, what does "bigger than an average sized man" mean? It "appeared" to be looking at him? No description of eyes or face?

Bigfoot73 said:
It isn't much of a report, what does "bigger than an average sized man" mean? It "appeared" to be looking at him? No description of eyes or face?
I don't normally bother clicking on bare naked URLs, and I wish I hadn't bothered with this one too! But during my student days in Exeter I could frequently see the distinctive tower of Haldon Belvedere on the SW horizon ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haldon_Hills ) so this seemed 'local' to me.

Haldon Hills are not far from Dartmoor National Park, but they are separated from it by the Teign Valley. And the witness stayed at Kennford, not Kenford.

I've spent a fair bit of time roaming about on Haldon Hills (family down Teignmouth way). Haven't been there lately though, so that rules me out :).

As an aside, there's a lane just up above Teignmouth / Shaldon which is reputed to be a black dog track, and at night it's well spooky - it's definitely the kind of landscape that lends itself to seeing things out of the corner of your eye.

Martin, however, is adamant that the animal was not a dog: "I have worked with dogs all my life and it was def­in­itely not canine.

If it weren't for the fact that the story is accompanied by a set of of photos which couldn't be more unambiguously of a dog, as well as the animal's owner coming forward, would this sighting by a local familiar with the animals in the area have been taken seriously. Probably, and his outdoor credentials would likely been touted as proof that he knew what he was talking about, whereas in fact he was bloody hopeless.

As far as man beasts the only evidence we've got is testimony like this.

The Sun asked me for my opinion on those photos and i said it was a Newfouldland Dog. A couple of weekks later the owner came forward. It was a Newfoundland cross.

Haldon Hills are not far from Dartmoor National Park, but they are separated from it by the Teign Valley. And the witness stayed at Kennford, not Kenford.[/quote]

I live on the eastern edge of Dartmoor, and can see Haldon Belvedere and the Haldon Hills from the common above my house.

To be fair, I found this witness report more interesting than some blatantly faked Youtube footage, or yet another Blobsquatch. The area in question has been linked with the sighting of a giant bird very much pterodactyl in size and appearance. Also, there is a ruined chapel, that appeared 'as new' in just one frame of a set of photos, taken by a visitor.

The subject of a British Bigfoot is so preposterous, that I'm actually rather intrigued by it all, and was delighted when Nick Redfern recently released a very weighty, and in-depth, study of the subject (Wildman! CFZ Press). I challenge anyone who dismisses the British Bigfoot out-of-hand to read this book; it may not be a flesh and blood monster, but people have - and still are - seeing something.

Oh, and Redfern reveals that the infamous 'Hairy Hands' of Dartmoor are back, in all their glory ;)

Back to the British Bigfoot, I live on the eastern edge of Dartmoor, and can see Haldon Belvedere and the Haldon Hills from the common above my house, and so it certainly grabbed my attention.

To be fair, I found this witness report more interesting than some blatantly faked Youtube footage, or yet another Blobsquatch. The area in question has been linked with the sighting of a giant bird very much pterodactyl in size and appearance. Also, there is a ruined chapel, that appeared 'as new' in just one frame of a set of photos, taken by a visitor.

The subject of a British Bigfoot is so preposterous, that I'm actually rather intrigued by it all, and was delighted when Nick Redfern recently released a very weighty, and in-depth, study of the subject (Wildman! CFZ Press). I challenge anyone who dismisses the British Bigfoot out-of-hand to read this book; it may not be a flesh and blood monster, but people have - and still are - seeing something.

Oh, and Redfern also reveals that the infamous 'Hairy Hands' of Dartmoor are back, in all their glory ;)

There were reports of a large,slobbering man beast prowling around Cannock Chase in the dead of night.
It turned out to be Stan Collymore.
Less frivolously, the Chase has provided all kinds of sightings and strange experiences, I wonder if it's some sort of window area?
The great and good Nick Duffy of the West Midlands Ghost Club posted on a local site that a jogger running round Swan Pool in Sandwell Valley claimed to have seen a bigfoot.
Swan Pool may be known to some of you following reports of a crocodile, or reptile of some sort swimming around, the famous Valleygator.
It was also reported in the express & star that Blair Witch type stick shapes had been discovered in the surrounding wood.
As I recall the FT did an investigation following sightings of something similair (in Cannock Chase!) and speculated it may have something to do with a bankrupt exotic animal dealer.
Nick also posted a video, one of several sent to him by the same group of an obviously fake man beast jumping off a wall.
It was felt that this video along with others may have been a school or college project, to unknown ends.

ChrisBoardman said:
I'm sure some signtings stem from someone reconstructing a sighting for a TV program.

So, there may only ever have been one "genuine" bigfoot sighting, and the rest have been people unknowingly witnessing reconstructions, and then reconstructions of misidentified reconstructions. ;)

It seems unlikely a breeding population of hominids stalks the British countryside, but then many North American bigfoot reports contain an ethereal element. The fact people continue to see such creatures in places they are so unlikely to be is worthy of study, whether it can tell us something about "supernature" or human perception. But the possibility of such incongruously located creatures existing as flesh-and-blood seems slim.

The account from the CFZ website linked to at the top of this thread strikes me as most likely a mixture of pareidolia, imagination and panic driven paranoia. But who's to say it's not an ancient woodland deity taking a break from leaping about the countryside?

‘My reports of seeing a monster were not taken seriously’ — woman says she saw Bigfoot in Angus
By GRAEME STRACHAN, 22 January 2015 7.53am.

• image.jpg
  • Charmaine Fraser, who claims to have sighted a Bigfoot.DC Thomson
A Bigfoot hunter believes the mythical beast could still be roaming the Angus countryside.

Charmaine Fraser, 41, claims to have seen a Bigfoot near a disused sandstone quarry during a morning walk with her gran’s dog as a child.

She has now gone public on her sighting and wants people to help her prove the existence of the mysterious creatures.

Charmaine, who is orginally from Monikie and now lives in Edinburgh, said she saw the 7ft, black beast with no neck and broad shoulders in Carmyllie in the early 1980s.

She told The Courier: “I was with the dog and we were coming down the path that leads to the track running past the bottom of the property and out to the farm road.

“Just before I got on to the track, the dog stopped suddenly and started to growl, whine and bare her teeth.

“I looked up to see a large black figure further along the track standing with its back to me.

“It was reaching up to a branch on a tree at the side of the track and was tall, of thick build with no neck and wide shoulders.

“I remember standing in shock for a second or two before screaming and turning to run back to the house.

“As I screamed, it slowly started to turn round but I didn’t hang about to see its face.

“Needless to say, my reports of seeing a monster were not taken seriously and dismissed as it probably being a neighbour.

“For years I wondered what it was and have recently found out about other possible sightings further north-east.”

Charmaine, who has a degree in psychology from St Andrews University, said the creature was “like a gorilla standing upright”.

She said she saw a figure in the same area shortly afterwards with a “humanoid shape” and eyes that shone orange when headlights picked it out in the darkness.

Charmaine said the area near the quarry at Carmyllie used to be pine woods but almost all has since been cleared for housing.

She said: “My sister found a den made of branches in the woods, with five or six animal skulls arranged in a semi-circle.

“The strange stories I’ve heard makes me think something could still be there.”

Mum-of-one Charmaine has since joined the British Bigfoot Research team and has urged people in Angus to come forward with their own sightings.

Anyone with information can contact Charmaine [email protected].

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/lo...-woman-says-she-saw-bigfoot-in-angus-1.799761

Charmaine, who has a degree in psychology from St Andrews University, said the creature was “like a gorilla standing upright”.

A gorilla standing upright would look a little like...
Not much like a bigfoot. Even so, the number of bigfoot like creatures reported in Britain raises questions in my mind about the nature of man-beast sightings. It's hard to believe such creatures could materially exist undiscovered in Britain.

In a book first published in 1914 called True Irish Ghost Stories by John Seymour and Harry Neligan there is an account of a family in Southern Ireland who were troubled by a presence. "It was neither human being nor animal-and instead of clothing was covered with hair like an orang utang: it stood over six feet tall and had a most repulsive appearance".
They regarded it as a ghost as it kept vanishing.

Nah, those drag the knuckle. Speshly after the Billy bonfire when they be completely hungyo. Poor slobs. Not a straight backbone among 'em.

Also, there is a ruined chapel, that appeared 'as new' in just one frame of a set of photos, taken by a visitor.
That's bizarre, and worth a thread of its own! Any links to this picture, or a report somewhere?

I don't know what Charmaine learned in her Psychology degree, but gorilla identification didn't feature in mine...!

Another Scottish sighting
‘I’ve experienced some crazy stuff but this was a big surprise’ — former civil servant tells of night he saw Bigfoot in Fife
By Graeme Strachan, 30 January 2015 8.35am.

• image.jpg
    The roundabout where the man claims to have seen the creature.DC Thomson
Bigfoot investigators have revealed a Fife man has broken a 10-year silence and reported seeing the mythical beast just off the Tay Road Bridge in 2005.
The sighting was brought to light just a week after The Courier told how a former Angus woman claimed to have seen a Bigfoot near a disused quarry during a morning walk with her gran’s dog as a child.
Charmaine Fraser, 41, who is originally from Monikie and now lives in Edinburgh, said she saw the 7ft black beast with no neck and broad shoulders in Carmyllie in the early 1980s.
The mum-of-one has since joined the British Bigfoot Research team where a sighting on the Fife side of the Tay Road Bridge has now been brought forward by a former civil servant from Fife.
The man, who has asked not to be named, said the encounter happened in August 2005 around 3.40am at the Five Roads Roundabout on the A92 when he was driving home from work.
He said: “After navigating the Five Roads roundabout, I was proceeding home on the A92 when my headlights picked out what I thought was a man standing by the left-hand side of the road.
“As I approached the figure stepped out in front of my car and I naturally brought it to a halt to avoid hitting the individual.
“This ‘person’ was a large hairy ape-like creature which turned to look at the car as I approached.
“Its eyes gave out a shine which was very noticeable and it crossed the road in about three large strides.”
The man said he felt uneasy but brought the car to a stop and put the window down.
“I could hear something like crunching as something was clearly moving through the forest but I had no torch with me to shine towards the sounds,” he added.
“There was an unpleasant odour in the air and suddenly I got a feeling I was being watched as everything went very quiet.
“I then continued home. Thinking back this individual was well over seven feet tall and a dark brown colour.
“Its hair was of reasonable length. I have never seen this again anywhere in Scotland and only confided in my partner.
“I know unequivocally what I saw and it is still clear in my mind as if it happened yesterday.”
“I worked as a civil servant for many years and experienced some crazy stuff — but I must admit that this was a big surprise.”
Most scientists discount the existence of Bigfoot and consider it to be a combination of folklore, misidentification, and hoax, rather than a living animal, because of the lack of physical evidence and the large numbers of creatures that would be necessary to maintain a breeding population.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/lo...ells-of-night-he-saw-bigfoot-in-fife-1.814485

Big Yin, not Big Foot. :D

St Andrews University researchers dressed up as bigfoot
It’s a serious study’ — St Andrews University researchers dressed up as bigfoot
23 February 2015 2.01pm.

• image.jpg
    The St Andrews bigfoot takes a time-out.Supplied
St Andrews University researchers have been using fake monsters to test how people report encounters with mythical creatures.
One exercise saw a person unleashed in a popular Edinburgh attraction dressed in a gorilla suit as part of a study to see how people react to so-called bigfoot sightings.
The experts have also used props and costumes to create other beasts.
The team from St Andrews are keeping tight-lipped about their research until it has been published in a scientific journal.
However, Dr Charles Paxton, a research fellow and statistical ecologist at the university, explained the “serious study” would help his team find statistical patterns in accounts of weird and wonderful sightings. He admitted: “People think it’s a bit odd until I explain what I’m doing.”
The bigfoot experiment took place at the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh.
They chose the venue as it has 50 giant redwoods — similar to those which adorn the US forests where Sasquatch sightings are generally reported.
He said: “It’s like the area where you get reports of bigfoot. There are other experiments that have involved fake monsters.”
The garden visitors were all told they were taking part in an experiment beforehand.
One group were told to look out for bigfoot and sent on a route that would bring the fake gorilla into view. They were later asked to report their sighting.
The other group did not get to see the fake primate but they were asked to write down a personal account as if they had.
The study then looked at differences in the two sets of accounts.
The team revealed details of their bigfoot study at a day of talks in Edinburgh at the weekend.
It covered a diverse range of subjects such as “Nazi flying saucers”, “bigfoot” and the “evolution of sea monsters”.
However, the academics maintain they are not just monkeying around as their prop-laden projects have sound scientific methods and aims.
Dr Paxton previously catalogued all known sightings of the Loch Ness monster to look for consistencies or patterns which could be explained by natural phenomena.
“It’s a serious study of people reporting things,” he said. “I’m trying to see if there are statistical patterns.
“All my work gets published in proper scientific journals . All I do is with the aim of getting proper results.”

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/lo...ty-researchers-dressed-up-as-bigfoot-1.842414

Haldon Hills are not far from Dartmoor National Park, but they are separated from it by the Teign Valley. And the witness stayed at Kennford, not Kenford.

I live on the eastern edge of Dartmoor, and can see Haldon Belvedere and the Haldon Hills from the common above my house.

Oh, and Redfern reveals that the infamous 'Hairy Hands' of Dartmoor are back, in all their glory ;)[/QUOTE]
i have over 200 sighting reports all across the uk

Back