• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

British Man Beast?

You'd think someone who studied psychology would understand how our minds can be fooled into seeing things that aren't there.
i saw him and im no fool, thats kinda of an insulting comment. you dont chose to see this stuff, it happens "to" you

i saw him and im no fool, thats kinda of an insulting comment. you dont chose to see this stuff, it happens "to" you

I can't see that this was directed at "people who see", rather the way the person quoted came across. Which is probably a function of the way some media need to sell a story to be honest. Which still wouldn't make it directed at you or those like you :)

First hand, credible accounts like yours are what this place thrives on. Please don't be put off!

Can you see any change in the way the sightings are described over time? I'm wondering if you could pick up any trends from (un)popular culture in the way people describe the whatever-it-is-they-are-seeing - the something as you describe it.

The Hairy Hands give me the grues :eek:

Welcome to the FTMB Debbie. It would be great if you could tell us about your encounter.
i was around 14/15 when i had my sighting it was 1981/82 late may early june, it was warm and breezy and just a beautifull day. it was nearly school break up and with nothing important going on we sneaked off around lunch to the parkland and didnt go back for afternoon lessons. the area where we were had an old mansion called summer hill. it was run down and overgrown, massive trees and rhododendron bushes, tall grass, there was an huge victorian green house left to ruin and the landscaped gardens had returned to nature. there are rabbits, squirrels, there is also a swampy water course in the sw corner. we were hidden in the foliage which opened up like a huge teepee. we were there for about and hour ish,making noise, giggling and rolling around, maybe around 2.oopm he just leant forward out of the greenery.

i froze at the size of him, i could only see from about mid chest area, but we were only about 8ft apart, i fixated on his eyes and mouth as i could see his teeth, (not because of a facial expression just that his mouth was slightly open) his mouth was same as ours but his jaw was huge, he had dark tanned weathered skin and was covered in dark dark brown hair that looked auburn where the sun caught it. he had huge shoulders and a massive chest, he looked like a man/ape but at that time i thought he was a monster. i pushed my friend to the ground (im still ashamed of that to this day) and ran like the wind. i turned to make sure my friend was up and running and i saw him just lean back into the greenery.

i have tried to go back 3 times and could never do it, the first time i had a virtual panic attack and didnt try to return for years. this changed things for me and i have studied the possibility of wild humans for 32 years.

I can't see that this was directed at "people who see", rather the way the person quoted came across. Which is probably a function of the way some media need to sell a story to be honest. Which still wouldn't make it directed at you or those like you :)

First hand, credible accounts like yours are what this place thrives on. Please don't be put off!

Can you see any change in the way the sightings are described over time? I'm wondering if you could pick up any trends from (un)popular culture in the way people describe the whatever-it-is-they-are-seeing - the something as you describe it.

The Hairy Hands give me the grues :eek:
charmaine and i are members of the same research team, she was younger than me when she had her sighting, hard to understand what it is at such a young age, i was terrified and i was 15, nobody believed me, but other people in my area had seen it before, so i started to look for other witnesses like myself. i started to map the sightings to see if any pattern showed up and it did. its been 33yrs for me, and i have noticed in the last 5yr people have started to come forward more, and are a little more accepting of the sighting.

Debbie, do you have a Google maps view of where you saw this creature? That would give us some idea of what the location looks like, thanks.

I think the work you're doing is extremely important. I've stated elsehwere on this forum, and won't retract, that I think it unlikely that populations of such large flesh-and-blood creatures still remain undocumented by science. But that just makes all the more extraordinary the consequences of the apparent reality that people keep seeing them, such similar creatures, and all over the world, in the most unlikely of places in some cases. Which is why any documentation of such sightings may give important leads.

In a book first published in 1914 called True Irish Ghost Stories by John Seymour and Harry Neligan there is an account of a family in Southern Ireland who were troubled by a presence. "It was neither human being nor animal-and instead of clothing was covered with hair like an orang utang: it stood over six feet tall and had a most repulsive appearance".
They regarded it as a ghost as it kept vanishing.
id love to hear more of that tale.

Debbie, do you have a Google maps view of where you saw this creature? That would give us some idea of what the location looks like, thanks.
helping-start-the-manchester-wildlife-survey-buile-hill-park

It wasn't meant as an insult, just an observation that there may have been a more down to earth explanation for what the witness saw. I personally experienced how the mind can play tricks not too far from the location of that bigfoot sighting. I saw a large black cat moving about in some undergrowth (there had been several ABC sightings in the area) and I crept closer only to find that the big cat was actually a bin bag.
It proved to me how easily we can deceive ourselves (I was aware of the big cat sightings in the area which probably influenced what I saw) - looking back, what I saw was something glossy black behind heavy undergrowth - my mind must have filled in the gaps and come up with cat. It also showed I was daft enough to creep up on a big cat!

I think the work you're doing is extremely important. I've stated elsehwere on this forum, and won't retract, that I think it unlikely that populations of such large flesh-and-blood creatures still remain undocumented by science. But that just makes all the more extraordinary the consequences of the apparent reality that people keep seeing them, such similar creatures, and all over the world, in the most unlikely of places in some cases. Which is why any documentation of such sightings may give important leads.
http://ukwildman.blogspot.co.uk/ iv just started to add the sightings here, and there is a link to the map here also. i have about 200 more reports to add, so its a job for life :rolleyes:

debbiehats
so its a job for life

that sounds lovely.... if you come across any reports of part zoological part vehetable things I'd be very interested. Classic ones are things like Scythian Lambs and so on.

Thank you! I want to try and plot occurrences against the rise of the current Green Man image to see how the two relate - but the reports are so rare :(

Thanks, Debbie! That's really good.
Hmmm. I expected the area to be more heavily wooded.

think along the lines of a green corridor, there is a large tunnel in the park in the sw corner its for drainge run off, it runs all the way to drink water park,i dont have any answer, its all just guess work, i just saw him

duh sorry, i got all excited as another witness came forward from my area. this is a link to my sightings map https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zJyAEx1kRZu0.kkNNCv3-Ue_w put in Buile hill and the sighting will pop up, every blu dot is an account

As some of the accounts on your map are of 'wolf-man' type creatures, and some are going back to the 1700's, you might be interested in the case of the Hexham Heads if you don't know it already. 1970's, Hexham Northumberland. There is a thread on here somewhere.

Edit
Here it is
http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/the-hexham-heads.3750/

Please can someone tell me if there are any essential differences between the British and N.American Bigfoot?

Seeing as how there are various different descriptions of both (all?) down the years there doesn't seem to be much consistency other than the basic "apeman" theme.

G'day all, in Australia we have the Yowie, which has similarities with the world wide phenomena of large hairy humanoids. One thing that I'd like to point out is that the old names for these fellahs - manitou, yeti, yowie, saskwatch - mean in their respective languages, spirit. They are pretty much respected as one more force of nature, albeit, a powerful one.

There was a link on here about two years ago to an old (1970's) UK TV show that someone had put on youtube, anyone remember the title?
The producers had taken strange stories from members of the public and dramatised them and they all seemed to have a connection with Cornwall. When I say dramatised, I mean there were actors, but the main drive of the story was told through the narration.
One of these tales was of a young lad who borrowed his dad's shotgun and went out for a very long walk in the depths of the countryside only to encounter a hairy 'half-man' creature which attacked him and tried to wrestle the gun from him. Years later it turned out that the same creature was stalking his sister or cousin who lived in a remote farmhouse.
A few people on here seemed to remember the series well so if anyone can recall the title, I would love to watch it again.

Seems to me that the UK manbeast sightings are something paranormal unlike the orang-pendek or yeti which seem like flesh and blood animals that live in places that can support them.
Interestingly the Russian almasty, which may be an early offshoot of Homo erectus, has a description both appearance and behaviour, that matches up with early troll accounts in Denmark.

Interestingly the Russian almasty, which may be an early offshoot of Homo erectus, has a description both appearance and behaviour, that matches up with early troll accounts in Denmark.
Yes, I agree there's a strong correlation between the legends/sightings. Because there have been so many stories like this round the world for such a long time, I think there is definitely something in it.

Seems to me that the UK manbeast sightings are something paranormal unlike the orang-pendek or yeti which seem like flesh and blood animals that live in places that can support them.

How do we make that distinction, though? It can't be based merely on whether a putative man-beast habitat is capable of supporting such a creature relatively undetected. While that may suggest British cases involve spectral entities, it doesn't rule out all such creatures in habitats that could support such creatures also being spectral.

Back