• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

British Man Beast?

Interesting, the apocolyptic horror fiction book, King Blood by Simon Clark has fearsome grey men that turn out to be in the mind of the perceivers due to earth gasses affecting part of their brain.

I think the BGM is an optical illusion caused by the weather conditions rather than a hallucination. There's a term for it - anyone care to jog my memory?

Encounter.jpg

On the Hunt for the British Bigfoot

Photographer Harry Rose spent two years trying to track down the legendary cryptid.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/xwgpyn/on-the-hunt-for-the-british-bigfoot

through social media and Reddit I basically met these people who think Bigfoot exists in the British Isles. I spent about a year just observing and watching what was going on in their forum, very conscious that I was a photographer and I didn't want them to think I was invading their space. Then, after a while, I reached out. Initially they were very guarded. There are rules of engagement they brief you on, and you kind of have to go with it or it messes up your chances of anyone speaking to you. The first thing I was told was that they don't like outsiders. One rule was that you can't talk about American Bigfoot with them. The two communities don't get on. The Americans' view is that Britain isn't big enough to sustain a Bigfoot population and it's ridiculous that British people might think it exists here. The counter argument is that "our Bigfoot is slightly smaller, so you can have more of them here".

On the Hunt for the British Bigfoot

Photographer Harry Rose spent two years trying to track down the legendary cryptid.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/xwgpyn/on-the-hunt-for-the-british-bigfoot

Interesting article, not seen it before, slightly eerie photos even if he didn't capture anything with big feet. I'm of the Keel/Holiday school of thought. I think there is a minority of these people who genuinely witness a British man beast but I think what's behind it is something of a supernatural nature. For a lot of people that's a bit out there, but as with most fortean accounts, these witnesses can't all be lying, and rationally if it were an unknown species, in most cases it would be seen more often with more evidence being found to support a physical existence, but if you consider these normal people with no interest in the subject are seeing a supernatural manifestation then that begins to explain a lot.

I was recently kicked out and blocked by the British Bigfoot Facebook group for suggesting the "British Bigfoot" is not a flesh and blood entity but possible a tulpa or a manifestation of an archetype.

They really don't want to entertain any ideas other than it's a flesh and blood beastie.

I was recently kicked out and blocked by the British Bigfoot Facebook group for suggesting the "British Bigfoot" is not a flesh and blood entity but possible a tulpa or a manifestation of an archetype.

They really don't want to entertain any ideas other than it's a flesh and blood beastie.

Interesting you mention a tulpa M13, the Yowie, by some, are considered to be an inhabitant of the dreaming which 'crosses over and back' every now and again.

I found years back, that many American Bigfooters seemed to utterly abominate the notion that there could be anything supernatural / paranormal, about the phenomenon: the more fanatical among them seemed to harbour an incandescent hatred of the scientifically-based proposition that Bigfoot simply did not exist (and, personally, of those who opined thus) -- and a yet more furious one, of any hint of "paranormalism / ists". Some angry people there...

I was recently kicked out and blocked by the British Bigfoot Facebook group for suggesting the "British Bigfoot" is not a flesh and blood entity but possible a tulpa or a manifestation of an archetype. They really don't want to entertain any ideas other than it's a flesh and blood beastie.

I think your line of inquiry into tulpas and archetypes is unfairly dismissed Mouldy13, though I could also understand how a group dedicated to the gigantopithecus theory of Bigfoot might feel it was a distraction. I thought I should offer you a bit of supporting evidence for your idea, as it has crossed my mind as well.

I recently listened to an episode of the podcast "Sasquatch Chronicles" entitled "The Quantum Bigfoot" which discussed some of the seriously supernatural things that these creatures can allegedly perform. They seem to be able to defeat not only the visible light spectrum, but also interfere with electronic equipment at a distance if the stories are to be believed. It is all a bit reminiscent of the faeries in Eoin Colfer's "Artemis Fowl" series of children's books. IDK if you are prepared to add faerie to the tulpa/archetype list however. Me? I think it fits, but I would add more...

In Japan they have a lot of odd local spirit creatures called "Yokai", and there is one in particular which is pertinent, called an "Otoroshi", often described as a big hairy man who frequents holy places. Now interestingly, elsewhere I read that before the Blessed Virgin Mary is sighted in an area there are prior sightings of a big hairy man in high places on the local place of worship.

Now another line of inquiry is the Cult of Pan. Another big hairy man of the wilderness. This fellow emitted a terrible cry in the wilds that drove people into "panic". Many witnesses have spoken about the chilling cries of sasquatches in the wilderness. To me, that seems like a good fit.

It also occurred to me that if there are any legs to the Smithsonian Giant Exhibitions conspiracy theory, perhaps the giant humanoid remains in question were actually sasquatches?

I hope my wild suppositions on this subject at least amuse you. Note also my restraint in not once referring to Nephilim or reptilian overlords.

flesh & blood sasquatches are the crypto-zoological version of nuts & bolts UFO's

There was a link on here about two years ago to an old (1970's) UK TV show that someone had put on youtube, anyone remember the title?
The producers had taken strange stories from members of the public and dramatised them and they all seemed to have a connection with Cornwall. When I say dramatised, I mean there were actors, but the main drive of the story was told through the narration.
One of these tales was of a young lad who borrowed his dad's shotgun and went out for a very long walk in the depths of the countryside only to encounter a hairy 'half-man' creature which attacked him and tried to wrestle the gun from him. Years later it turned out that the same creature was stalking his sister or cousin who lived in a remote farmhouse.
A few people on here seemed to remember the series well so if anyone can recall the title, I would love to watch it again.

David, bit of a late reply but the series you're thinking of is West Country Tales (1982 - 1983) and the episode is titled The Beast. It's an excellent series and that is my favourite episode, I bought the unofficial DVD a couple years ago, I think there was a book that accompanied the series too.

Here's the episode,

David, bit of a late reply but the series you're thinking of is West Country Tales (1982 - 1983) and the episode is titled The Beast. It's an excellent series and that is my favourite episode, I bought the unofficial DVD a couple years ago, I think there was a book that accompanied the series too.

Here's the episode,

Great video!! It would seem from this episode, to be a great series. Thank you for posting it!

Here's the episode,

The original post was by Lordmongrove, I remember watching it then, I'll be watching it again now, thanks for reposting it.

I got the book too. The station had asked people to send in their true stories of weird encounters in the South West. They chose the best and dramatized them. I'd love to read the letter that The Beast was based on. The producer is now dead but he was the father of Simon King who works at the BBC Natural History Unit. I wrote to Simon and got an e-mail from his agent saying that Simon was out of the country and insisting that he would know nothing about the show.

The chap who wrote the letter the episode is based on was called G.R Parkhouse. This is one of those mysteries that really gets to me. If there is any truth to the story then what the hell did he see?

Excellent, I'd never seen that before and it sent shivers up my spine. And made all the more creepy by the eccentric electronic wibblings of the radiophonic workshop!

Brilliant, Used to call at a very remote pub now gone one day I looked into
the back room, there were some very strange people in there playing billiards,
no doubt human but you would not want to meet one on a dark night, I never
popped my head round that door again, nothing but the odd farm for many miles
around and I suspected they were the result of some very close breeding.

Back