• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

British Politician John Smith Murdered?

The only theoretical motive for killing him would be the Tories seeing that they were, for the first time in a long time, faced with a credible, respected and widely loved leader of the opposition.

Hmmm, apart from him clearly and conspicuously being "Scotch"*. And having suspiciously short arms.

* Not me being Anti-Scots, honest, just pointing out the obvious thing that would have been wheeled out by Murdoch & Co to sink his campaign for the keys to No 10. (Only a Scotsman like Anthony Blair could be elected as PM - just ask Gordon "Cyclops" Brown.)

In the late 80's I had a friend who shared a flat with a couple of people who worked with John Smith. I don't remember in what capacity, maybe policy advisors, but I saw on the mantlepiece a photo of the three of them together.

It was through them that I first heard the rumours of "goings on" at Dolphin Square.

I have heard of the conspiracy theory about Smith's death before but can't remember when and how. As to why anyone would want him dead... there could be any number of reasons that we a totally unaware of.

The Comic Strip episode "The Hunt for Tony Blair" is based on the conceit that Blair murdered his way to the Labour leadership.

Hitler was kind to children and animals. Just sayin'.
My comment that Diana was "kind to small children and kittens" was fairly obviously ironic. I am aware of no widely publicised case in which she had anything to do with kittens — although, of course, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

That we should leap from a wry dig at the widespread perception of Diana's sainthood to talking about Hitler has come as a surprise to me.

Last edited:
Is Godwinning a crime?

After Smith died there was discussion in the Quality press of the then current state of Scottish people's health. Having lifelong poor diets and starting drinking and smoking young were identified as causing most of it. Smith himself had been known to indulge in that lifestyle, at least as a student. He was typical of his generation in health terms.

I learned about this sort of thing in my Health Studies degree, in fact. People brought up with an unhealthy lifestyle - fried food most days is an indicator, for example - find it hard to change.

By the time they run into problems it's too late, as it was for Smith. No amount of Munroing was going to reverse that damage.

After Smith died there was discussion in the Quality press of the then current state of Scottish people's health. Having lifelong poor diets and starting drinking and smoking young were identified as causing most of it. Smith himself had been known to indulge in that lifestyle, at least as a student. He was typical of his generation in health terms.

I learned about this sort of thing in my Health Studies degree, in fact. People brought up with an unhealthy lifestyle - fried food most days is an indicator, for example - find it hard to change.

By the time they run into problems it's too late, as it was for Smith. No amount of Munroing was going to reverse that damage.

He was slain by a deep fried Mars Bar.

I probably start off most of my meals frying onion, garlic, chilli etc, plus other veg & usually some sort of meat/seafood, using extra virgin olive oil. I can't work out whether that's good or bad. On the one hand, fresh ingredients etc, on the other, fried..

I probably start off most of my meals frying onion, garlic, chilli etc, plus other veg & usually some sort of meat/seafood, using extra virgin olive oil. I can't work out whether that's good or bad. On the one hand, fresh ingredients etc, on the other, fried..

The famously unhealthy Scottish diet features every food known to Man deep fried, which is a world away from your quick run round the wok.

And then there's the sudden death of Donald Dewar. Another accident imho.

Unlike Willie MacRae who must be the most intriguing political death in recent scottish history?

Although maybe Rizzio.... ;)

I've always been fond of James 2 and the cannon

And then there's the sudden death of Donald Dewar. Another accident imho.
Unlike Willie MacRae who must be the most intriguing political death in recent scottish history?
Although maybe Rizzio.... ;)
I've always been fond of James 2 and the cannon

MacRae twice tangled with the Atomic Energy Authority, once at the Mullwarchar inquiry, and he was set to do so again in 1986 over Dounreay. As the AEA is tied not only to making energy for the domestic market but also to making fissile material for nuclear weapons, they are tied into national security, and that means the military and intelligence. This seems like MI5, as MacRae would have been known to them due to his influence in politics. They are more investigators than assassins, and wouldn't have the expertise and training to pull off a forensicly "spotless" kill, relying instead on their political clout to silence the police.

Back