• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bruce Forsyth Haunting The London Palladium

I've never heard of her and had to Google who she is.
Me too, I had to do a search to find out who she was. Had to look up Jimmy Cricket, too. And Bruce Forsyth. And Bill Tidy, and Keith Harris, and Kenneth Williams, and Rod Hull . . .

Yeah, she probably hated you. She is getting paid to do her stuff mind.
Yep that's the point isn't it? What's hypocritical about the attitude these characters adopt is that their fans have put them where they are and yet they haven't time to be arsed to sign an autograph or have a quick word. I have no time for any of them. Someone I know was in London with his family when Elton John emerged from a taxi in front of them and friend's young son very politely asked him for an autograph. Mr John thought it appropriate to tell him to f*** off in front of the family. Friend gave him a real gob full.

Yep that's the point isn't it? What's hypocritical about the attitude these characters adopt is that their fans have put them where they are and yet they haven't time to be arsed to sign an autograph or have a quick word. I have no time for any of them. Someone I know was in London with his family when Elton John emerged from a taxi in front of them and friend's young son very politely asked him for an autograph. Mr John thought it appropriate to tell him to f*** off in front of the family. Friend gave him a real gob full.

Have been watching Long Way Up with Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman. Whether it's just for the cameras or not but Ewan always makes a point of spending times with the fans if he is spotted. He ended up doing impromptu signing and photo sessions at Machu Pichu and in Ecuador he was mobbed in a coffee shop. He was unbelievably gracious and commented on how it caused him no irritation if he was making someone happy.

It's poor Charley I feel sorry for, being relegated to taking the photos...

I did read an anecdote about TV presenter Maggie Philbin where she was being shown around some business or other and someone came up to her and told her what an inspiration she had been when they were little. The staff guy showing her round joked, "You must get that quite a lot" and she replied tersely "Every fucking day."

In her line of work she should remember “There is only one thing worse than being recognised. And that is not being recognised”. She gets work partly on the Maggie Philbin brand recognition, it goes with the territory. Of course if people are rude then that is a different issue.

I saw Maggie Philbin on Tomorrow's World on TV back when Volvo introduced moisture sensors into their windscreens, so at the first splatter of rain the wipers started automatically. Philbin sprinkled some water from a bowl onto the car parked in the Studio but nothing happened. A little more sprinkling and still no wiper action. Finally she throw the bowl of water over the windscreen and announced that the system doesn't seem to be working, maybe they could come back to the car later. The story I heard was that Volvo then contacted T.W. and said something along the lines of 'FFS tell that woman the sensors only work with the ignition on !! (otherwise if the car is left out overnight in the rain you'd wake up with a flat battery).'

Have been watching Long Way Up with Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman. Whether it's just for the cameras or not but Ewan always makes a point of spending times with the fans if he is spotted. He ended up doing impromptu signing and photo sessions at Machu Pichu and in Ecuador he was mobbed in a coffee shop. He was unbelievably gracious and commented on how it caused him no irritation if he was making someone happy.

It's poor Charley I feel sorry for, being relegated to taking the photos...
Yep there are exceptions and good for them. Ms Petes knows someone who used to work as an extra on the soaps in the UK. The male stars really went out of their way to make him feel welcome. Without exception the females appeared to be a bunch of total b.....s for no reason. The world of film/TV must be totally surreal in many ways.

I saw Maggie Philbin on Tomorrow's World on TV back when Volvo introduced moisture sensors into their windscreens, so at the first splatter of rain the wipers started automatically. Philbin sprinkled some water from a bowl onto the car parked in the Studio but nothing happened. A little more sprinkling and still no wiper action. Finally she throw the bowl of water over the windscreen and announced that the system doesn't seem to be working, maybe they could come back to the car later. The story I heard was that Volvo then contacted T.W. and said something along the lines of 'FFS tell that woman the sensors only work with the ignition on !! (otherwise if the car is left out overnight in the rain you'd wake up with a flat battery).'

That's not Philbin's fault. She'd have been told to approach the car, introduce the item and them demonstrate it. She was a presenter, not a technician, and would expect it all to be set up beforehand. Philbin's not the prat here.

Yep there are exceptions and good for them. Ms Petes knows someone who used to work as an extra on the soaps in the UK. The male stars really went out of their way to make him feel welcome. Without exception the females appeared to be a bunch of total b.....s for no reason. The world of film/TV must be totally surreal in many ways.
I did plenty of work as a Extra from 2010 to 2017 but find both famous stars and crew okay BUT they live in a bubble and are pandered and Brenda Biethyn used to be alright but now she apparently doesn't speak to the Extras but maybe that's just me being jealous as I used to be a regular Copper on Vera but one season as was dropped from being a regular Copper by the director in 2015 because he didn't want any Policemen over 40 ?
Worst bunch on set were the Catering company Screen Cuisine who were a right bunch of sour twats.

Brenda Blethyn used to be alright but now she apparently doesn't speak to the Extras but maybe that's just me being jealous as I used to be a regular Copper on Vera but one season as was dropped from being a regular Copper by the director in 2015 because he didn't want any Policemen over 40
Blimey, that's harsh! Brenda Blethyn has been playing Vera well into her 70s - you'd have brought the average age down, not up.

I don't know, it's one rule for the famous, talented star of the show, and another for the poor background actors... mutter, mutter...

I'm trying to think of any famous person I've met who's been a complete tosser, but actually, the few that I have, have been pretty nice. My favourite encounter still remains Alastair Reynolds and his model railway, but I've already mentioned that on the main "ever met someone famous?" thread.

That's not Philbin's fault. She'd have been told to approach the car, introduce the item and them demonstrate it. She was a presenter, not a technician, and would expect it all to be set up beforehand. Philbin's not the prat here.

Raymond Baxter would have known, Judith Hann would have known ...

A professional conducts rehearsals. A diva wafts in.

maximus otter

Back