• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bryan Singer to direct a new adaptation of 'Logan's Run'

StoryofE

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
From the Hollywood Reporter:

"It's going to be about two best friends who ultimately take different paths because of ideology, circumstances and a woman who comes between them," said Singer, who added that in his version, he may set the age of euthanasia somewhere from 21-30.

The original movie left an impression on the young Singer. "My father took me to see the film, and at the time, it was dazzling and evocative," he said. "It was also the first time I had seen onscreen nudity. I remember being stunned."

:cool:

lennynero said:
" I remember being stunned."
Obviously robbed him of what little intelligence he might otherwise have had.

Golden Turkey awards, anyone?

Logan's Run has to be one of the naffest of the 70s sci-fi blockbusters. But I kind of enjoy it for Singer-esque nostalgia reasons, which may not be the best reasons to remake it. At least Peter Ustinov can reprise his role from the original, eh?

The 70s film was splendidly cr*p, though I seem to remember the book being very good (but it's a good 20 years since I read it and I was like early teens at the time, so don't hold me to that).

The idea of a remake positively makes my flesh creep.

The book is a lot darker than the film (it was too standard SF chrome and plastic to be believable. But Bryan Singer made a good movie out of the X-men (which could have been very silly and camp) so it'll be interesting to see his take on Logan's run.

But it won't have a Jenny Agutter (sigh) as Jessica 6, the one good point of the original:

Watched it again on satellite the other day and my dad was quite mad that Farrah Fawcett didn't have a nude seen.

This is the best Logan's Run film site that I've ever found:

http://users.snowcrest.net/fox/Logan.html

Has tons of information on the film, including the lost nude ice sculpture scene!

I've always liked this film, even if it isn't totally logical - I feel like it was saying something (aand is still saying something) to the youth obsessed culture we've developed today. If it was now, you'd be killed at 25 rather than 30.

One other thought - I think of Logan's Run as being the last progressive sci-fi film, a film that presented a fairlyhigh tech society of the future in beautiful cities that were technical marvels. Right after this, Star Wars came about, as well as Mad Max & things like taht, and sci fi became dominated by dark futures of decay, nuclear war, mutation, and devolution... at least it sems that way to me.

i don't know being euthanised when you turn thirty seems pretty dark and scary to me.

gl5210 said:
i don't know being euthanised when you turn thirty seems pretty dark and scary to me.

In the book it's 21....and the world is a combination of a drug-addled funfair and a disco. With executions.

*EDIT*
It can be read as a satire on the obsession with youth, and people who hope they die before they get old.

gl5210 said:
Watched it again on satellite the other day and my dad was quite mad that Farrah Fawcett didn't have a nude seen.

There's always Saturn 3 for that.

Saw a black comedian talking about this movie once. He wondered where all the minorities were. He postulated a futuristic genocidal cabal.

A little "Brave New World" with agism & euthanasia? Maybe I should check out the book at the library.

Put it this way, anything Singer comes up with would be better than the original film. Wasn't there a slighty better TV series back in the late 70's//early 80's?

So, has everyone else blotted the TV series out of their memories?

(I could've sworn it had Roddy McDowell in it, but apparently not. Amazing: a crap 70s fantasy show with no Roddy McDowell guest-spot or supporting role. I'm in shock. I hung on until 1980 praying for 'the ultimate crap 70s SF/Fantasy show'. It would have had Roddy McDowell, David McCallum, Jared Martin, Lee Majors and Doug McLure all in it at the same time, but such an obvious vehicle for excrement was clearly ahead of its time and never materialized. Or maybe there was a limit to the level of crap that even Hollywood would pass off as TV Fantasy. Naaah, couldn't've been that. Closest we ever got was 2 out of 5 on The Fantastic Journey with both McDowell and Martin...)

Zygon said:
So, has everyone else blotted the TV series out of their memories?

(I could've sworn it had Roddy McDowell in it,....

It wasn't very good and had even less too do with the book than the film did. Roddy McDowell was in the TV version of 'Planet of the Apes' which also wasn't terribly good. Both series only ran for 14 episodes.

Only saw one episode of 'Fantastic Journey' still have no idea what was going on.

I like the idea of your ultimate bad 1970s TV SF/Fantasy series.:D

Logan's Run was on TV so much when cable became available in our area that I could literally quote all the dialogue in the entire film.

I tried to count how much I watched it once, and I am sure I saw it around 30 times.

Both series only ran for 14 episodes.

Ha Ha, and I was convinced there were so many more, quite enjoyed it when I was about 10, in a naff sci-fi kind of way even then. Don't imagine it's worth watching again.

Guess it came off better than Beyond Westworld, which only ran for 4 episodes (and unfortunately, every time I saw it repeated, it was always the same episode):hmph:

I remember the Logan's Run TV series being ace! (he says through his drug-addled haze) There was this keen car-thing and an android in it I remember. Most ace. (I was quite young at the time...)

I still love the movie Logan's Run. It was the first time I was introduced to a distopia and was fascinated with it. After watching the movie, I read every distopia I could get my hands on - except ironically, the book "Logan's Run". I didn't know there was one until recently.

Do you suppose that all the dome inhabitants sought revenge on Logan 5 Jessica 6 for ruining their dome paradise? Can a sunrise and a view of the ocean really compare to disease, hunger, and discomfort? These grown children have no idea how to care for themselves and after even a year outdoors probably wished they could have just died at 30 in relative comfort. That's the wonderful contradiction found in all distopias. Only a few people are unhappy enough to want to change the world no matter how horrible it is, everyone else just accepts the status quo.

Back