Buddhist Mummies

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
He just needs good hydration, and he'll snap out of it.
Not dead, you see. ;)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Makes you wonder if there're others, all over the place. :eek:

kamalktk

Antediluvian
Reaction score
This article has slightly more on the mummy in the statue, including this bit:
"In Japan, monks seeking self-mummification would begin a 1,000-day diet of water, seeds and nuts, followed by a 1,000-day diet of roots, pine bark and a special tea made from the sap of the Chinese lacquer tree -- a toxic substance usually used to lacquer bowls and plates, used by the monks to repel maggots and bacteria."

http://www.cnet.com/news/ct-scan-finds-mummified-monk-inside-1000-year-old-buddha/#ftag=YHF65cbda0

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I thought cats in the walls was bad enough, now we have to worry about dead people inside statues! Ever see that movie A Bucket of Blood?! Art imitates life...

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I thought cats in the walls was bad enough, now we have to worry about dead people inside statues! Ever see that movie A Bucket of Blood?! Art imitates life...
I don't remember 'A Bucket of Blood', but I seem to recall an episode of a detective series (was it Columbo?) where a sculptor made bizarre, horrifying statues containing the bodies of people he'd murdered.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I don't remember 'A Bucket of Blood', but I seem to recall an episode of a detective series (was it Columbo?) where a sculptor made bizarre, horrifying statues containing the bodies of people he'd murdered.
The original Bucket of Blood was from 1959, so it sounds like someone in the Columbo writing pool was a Roger Corman fan...

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
So there’s a new case of Tibetan self mummification or Thukdam. Except when you read the report he died on the 14th of July, and then on several occasions he was looked at scientifically. It was declared there were no signs of death in hue or odour therefore he had entered Thukdam. But later on it describes him as having neural activity, from a pulse meter we can see he has a pulse. His oxygen levels are at 86% so a dangerously low level. But he has Brian activity, a pulse and circulating oxygen. Now, I’m no doctor but that sounds to me like he is alive. Or at least he was. They planned to cremate him on the 21st of August.
https://tibet.net/tibetan-geshe-in-...CGyyXyYZu3kqf_ZbB_iwb3v8JbVTcPzswpJCqx4FaUAcs

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
So there’s a new case of Tibetan self mummification or Thukdam. Except when you read the report he died on the 14th of July, and then on several occasions he was looked at scientifically. It was declared there were no signs of death in hue or odour therefore he had entered Thukdam. But later on it describes him as having neural activity, from a pulse meter we can see he has a pulse. His oxygen levels are at 86% so a dangerously low level. But he has Brian activity, a pulse and circulating oxygen. Now, I’m no doctor but that sounds to me like he is alive. Or at least he was. They planned to cremate him on the 21st of August.
https://tibet.net/tibetan-geshe-in-...CGyyXyYZu3kqf_ZbB_iwb3v8JbVTcPzswpJCqx4FaUAcs
Until recently in the west, whether or not someone was actually dead was a big concern. All kinds of ropes with bells to pull, signalling from the coffin, to make sure. The geshe in question was obviously alive, although not knowing about his illness, was probably in a coma.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
This seems a cag handed investigation.

Shame, as if someones going to top themselves in such an interesting way...