• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
It's the time of year for St.Mark's flies to be about. They hover, often in large groups, with their legs dangling beneath them.

https://www.buglife.org.uk/bugs/bug-directory/st-marks-fly/

StMarksFlies.jpg

Last edited:
I used to see a lot of them hovering where I lived previously. They don't have a very long season.

Whilst there's no insect today quite as huge as the Meganeura dragonflies from the Carboniferous era, there are still some very impressive bugs, that push the limits of insect size in today's atmosphere.

The Titan and Hercules beetles of South America:

insect1.png
insect2.png

and the Queen Alexandra Birdwing butterfly of Papua New Guinea:

insect3.png

Wow - that butterfly - it's amazing!
These creatures could only really live in dense rainforest today, because the local oxygen level would be higher than in other parts of the world.

Wow - that butterfly - it's amazing!
These creatures could only really live in dense rainforest today, because the local oxygen level would be higher than in other parts of the world.
I know some of the native Papuans are quite small, but still that butterfly's wingspan must be around or just over 1 foot.

Incredible photos of 'wee beasties' in Glasgow park​

Close up of an insect
Image source, David Hamilton
Image caption,
An emerald damselfly - Lestes sponsa, taken at Lambhill stables, Glasgow
By Auryn Cox
BBC Scotland News

Nestled in an unassuming Glasgow Park lies a treasure trove of vibrant colours, intricate details, and tiny creatures waiting to be discovered.
It was during the confinement of the Covid lockdown that David Hamilton found himself captivated by this hidden world.
Now he runs a popular Instagram page "WeeMadBeasties" showcasing macro photography - extreme close-up photos - of all the creepy-crawlies found within Ruchill Park and across Scotland.

Before the restrictions the 43-year-old from Glasgow's west end had been a landscape photographer, but the limitations of lockdown led him down a different path.

"I'd seen an article on someone converting their existing equipment to shoot macro stuff on the cheap," he said.
"I said you know what, why don't I give this a try - there's a park across the road. Once I actually started seeing the sort of colours and the vibrancy of the insects, that was me hooked."

Hoverfly
Image caption,
This photograph of a hoverfly in the centre of a flower is David's favourite that he has taken in Ruchill Park

Red spider mite eats an aphid
Image caption,
A tiny 1-2mm red spider mite feeds on an aphid in Ruchill Park

Macro photography typically involves close-up photographs of small subjects, such as bugs and flowers.

David says the people who see his photos are always shocked by what he has found in Scotland.

And he has also impressed other macro photographers around the world with his pictures.

"I didn't realise until I went away and met some of the guys from abroad that what I was producing was was of interest to them," he said.
"There's insects that we have here that they don't. They've got spiders that are the size of your hand, whereas we've got tiny different species that they won't see.

"I've had people reach out from various countries in the world saying they'd like to come over to Ruchill Park."
David holding camera
Image caption,
David Hamilton from Glasgow runs the popular "WeeMadBeasties" Instagram page

A ladybird
Image caption,
He is best known for his pictures of ladybirds

Bug
Image caption,
The detail is intricate on this image of Halyzia sedecimguttata, an orange ladybird

Despite his success, David says Scotland can be a hard place for insect macro photography due to the limited number of insects and the country's climate.

And the nation's few insect photographers only have a short window to consistently capture good pictures.

"It didn't used to bother me doing it here until I went to Malaysia," he said.

"I stepped off the plane straight to the hotel, walked outside and looked through the first bush that I came across.
"I couldn't even walk away there was that many things on it. I was like these guys have it easy."

size spotted tiger beetle
Image caption,
This size spotted tiger beetle, from the USA, was David's top bucket list insect shot in Huntley Meadows

Giraffe weevil
Image caption,
David took this picture of a Giraffe weevil while in Malaysia

Despite the challenges, David says he probably has photographed and documented more than 1,000 different species from Scotland.
Although he admits they are not always the most co-operative photography subjects.

"It's super difficult. You need to approach them practically at a snails pace.

"They're a very difficult partner to try and work with - they're not going to listen to you," he said.

Spider
Image caption,
Like most of David's pictures this spider was pictured in Ruchill Park

Damselfly
Image caption,
This damselfly at Ruchill Park is having a good stare-off down the lens

As the hobby requires you to get up close to the various different creepy-crawlies it does come with certain risks.
"I was over in France predominantly to take pictures of one tiny species called a Ruby-tailed wasp. They're super small and I had found them and then got too close and got stung," he said.
"I had to run away. I ended up just going to the pub after that because I couldn't move my hand."

A cocoon
Image caption,
People are often shocked at the variety of species in Scotland. This ladybird pupae was captured on film at Ruchill Park

David has now started to look further afield to find insects to photograph.
He feels he has mostly covered what Scotland has to offer and has plans to visit Australia next year.
But there is one bug in the highlands that has so far alluded him.

"A Bumblebee Hoverfly is very hard to find. It's super rare and and it's the only place in the whole of the UK that you get that one. I'd love to find it."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-66468444

Incredible photos of 'wee beasties' in Glasgow park​

Close up of an insect
Image caption,
An emerald damselfly - Lestes sponsa, taken at Lambhill stables, Glasgow
By Auryn Cox
BBC Scotland News

Nestled in an unassuming Glasgow Park lies a treasure trove of vibrant colours, intricate details, and tiny creatures waiting to be discovered.
It was during the confinement of the Covid lockdown that David Hamilton found himself captivated by this hidden world.
Now he runs a popular Instagram page "WeeMadBeasties" showcasing macro photography - extreme close-up photos - of all the creepy-crawlies found within Ruchill Park and across Scotland.

Before the restrictions the 43-year-old from Glasgow's west end had been a landscape photographer, but the limitations of lockdown led him down a different path.

"I'd seen an article on someone converting their existing equipment to shoot macro stuff on the cheap," he said.
"I said you know what, why don't I give this a try - there's a park across the road. Once I actually started seeing the sort of colours and the vibrancy of the insects, that was me hooked."

Hoverfly
Image caption,
This photograph of a hoverfly in the centre of a flower is David's favourite that he has taken in Ruchill Park

Red spider mite eats an aphid
Image caption,
A tiny 1-2mm red spider mite feeds on an aphid in Ruchill Park

Macro photography typically involves close-up photographs of small subjects, such as bugs and flowers.

David says the people who see his photos are always shocked by what he has found in Scotland.

And he has also impressed other macro photographers around the world with his pictures.

"I didn't realise until I went away and met some of the guys from abroad that what I was producing was was of interest to them," he said.
"There's insects that we have here that they don't. They've got spiders that are the size of your hand, whereas we've got tiny different species that they won't see.

"I've had people reach out from various countries in the world saying they'd like to come over to Ruchill Park."
David holding camera
Image caption,
David Hamilton from Glasgow runs the popular "WeeMadBeasties" Instagram page

A ladybird
Image caption,
He is best known for his pictures of ladybirds

Bug
Image caption,
The detail is intricate on this image of Halyzia sedecimguttata, an orange ladybird

Despite his success, David says Scotland can be a hard place for insect macro photography due to the limited number of insects and the country's climate.

And the nation's few insect photographers only have a short window to consistently capture good pictures.

"It didn't used to bother me doing it here until I went to Malaysia," he said.

"I stepped off the plane straight to the hotel, walked outside and looked through the first bush that I came across.
"I couldn't even walk away there was that many things on it. I was like these guys have it easy."

size spotted tiger beetle
Image caption,
This size spotted tiger beetle, from the USA, was David's top bucket list insect shot in Huntley Meadows

Giraffe weevil
Image caption,
David took this picture of a Giraffe weevil while in Malaysia

Despite the challenges, David says he probably has photographed and documented more than 1,000 different species from Scotland.
Although he admits they are not always the most co-operative photography subjects.

"It's super difficult. You need to approach them practically at a snails pace.

"They're a very difficult partner to try and work with - they're not going to listen to you," he said.

Spider
Image caption,
Like most of David's pictures this spider was pictured in Ruchill Park

Damselfly
Image caption,
This damselfly at Ruchill Park is having a good stare-off down the lens

As the hobby requires you to get up close to the various different creepy-crawlies it does come with certain risks.
"I was over in France predominantly to take pictures of one tiny species called a Ruby-tailed wasp. They're super small and I had found them and then got too close and got stung," he said.
"I had to run away. I ended up just going to the pub after that because I couldn't move my hand."

A cocoon
Image caption,
People are often shocked at the variety of species in Scotland. This ladybird pupae was captured on film at Ruchill Park

David has now started to look further afield to find insects to photograph.
He feels he has mostly covered what Scotland has to offer and has plans to visit Australia next year.
But there is one bug in the highlands that has so far alluded him.

"A Bumblebee Hoverfly is very hard to find. It's super rare and and it's the only place in the whole of the UK that you get that one. I'd love to find it."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-66468444

They don't look so timorous!

During a city walk I had to visit the bushes

isn't it a piece of cellophane with much of the original printing worn off?

Your idea is much better though!

Are we bugging the bugs?

Insects and spiders often receive little attention from people, except when we're swatting them away. However, as arthropods—creatures distinguished by a hard exoskeleton and jointed legs— they play an essential role in sustaining the ecosystems humans rely on. Remarkably, arthropods make up approximately 84% of all known animal species.

A study published recently in Scientific Reports reveals how human activity affects biodiversity among arthropods and how nonbiological factors, such as daily temperature swings and proximity to the ocean, affect arthropod biodiversity in urban areas.

The research uncovered a few surprises and points to ways homeowners, landscapers and urban planners can ensure a healthy mix of these small but vital neighbors.

Biodiversity refers to the variety of life forms in any given area. Generally speaking, greater biodiversity makes for a healthier, more resilient ecosystem. In urban settings, high biodiversity has been linked to benefits such as better air quality, decreased risk of flooding and even improved mental health for humans.

To assess arthropod biodiversity and related factors in the Los Angeles basin, scientists at the USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences collaboratied with researchers at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County's BioSCAN project.

BioSCAN is a community science project run by the Natural History Museum and supported by about 80 volunteers who helped place small, tent-like net structures called Malaise traps in backyards, gardens and other locations throughout greater Los Angeles. From these traps, scientists collected flying arthropods such as bees, flies and moths. They also hand-collected spiders in those same locations.

During the year-long project, museum staff tallied the arthropods to determine the diversity of groups living in each area. The results were surprising.

"In general, we thought most arthropods would be similarly affected by environmental factors such as land covered by asphalt or concrete and temperature fluctuations over a 24-hour cycle," said lead researcher Melissa Guzman, Gabilan Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences and Quantitative and Computational Biology at USC Dornsife. "Instead, we found an unexpectedly large range of responses to factors such as these, both within closely related groups and across different groups." ...

https://phys.org/news/2024-01-bugs-bugging-humans-reveals.html#google_vignette

Back