• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

"Building A Fortean Library" Can Anyone Supply A list Of Books Featured?

Ombrophobia

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This is my first post here, so I guess hello to you all. I'm shocked I never posted here before now but I guess I never thought about it until I was looking for a solution to my problem.

Anyway, let me get to the point; I'm hoping someone can help me - recently disaster struck and my second floor flat was flooded by not one, but two burst pipes (that burst in entirely opposite ends of the flat and appear to have had nothing to do with each other... it's a mishap heading towards the fortean in it's own right), destroying 4 years of Fortean Times back issues in the process.

What I'm hoping for, is for someone to furnish me with a list of all the books featured in the "Building A Fortean Library" column to date, as I was going through and reading them as I went and unfortunately didn't write any of the damn things down - I also figure that at this point, I need to replace so many of my once-treasured, now-waterlogged books that a list would actually be a useful thing to start my collection anew. I'd be eternally grateful if someone here could help me.

I'll see if I can dig up my (small) collection of issues and add what I can.

Additionally, as me own library grew more complex, I started using some free software called Data Crow. It makes it really easy to populate your own library by just entering ISBN's, titles, or whatever, then it goes and finds all the other information about a given book and adds it to the record.

I'm not affiliated with them, I just love the damned software. I even used it (for a while, anyways) to keep track of new open-source software I was downloading as I was on a kick to learn whatever I could get my hands on.

This is my first post here, so I guess hello to you all. I'm shocked I never posted here before now but I guess I never thought about it until I was looking for a solution to my problem.

Anyway, let me get to the point; I'm hoping someone can help me - recently disaster struck and my second floor flat was flooded by not one, but two burst pipes (that burst in entirely opposite ends of the flat and appear to have had nothing to do with each other... it's a mishap heading towards the fortean in it's own right), destroying 4 years of Fortean Times back issues in the process.

What I'm hoping for, is for someone to furnish me with a list of all the books featured in the "Building A Fortean Library" column to date, as I was going through and reading them as I went and unfortunately didn't write any of the damn things down - I also figure that at this point, I need to replace so many of my once-treasured, now-waterlogged books that a list would actually be a useful thing to start my collection anew. I'd be eternally grateful if someone here could help me.

Ah... but do you really need to replace all those books?
Couldn’t it be a message that you need to clear out the old and make way for the new?

What I'm hoping for, is for someone to furnish me with a list of all the books featured in the "Building A Fortean Library" column to date, ... I'd be eternally grateful if someone here could help me.

Give me a day and I can send you/post here the complete list (may be coming sooner). Having suffered a flood, I understand your pain. Dreadful.

EDIT—

Bit less than a day, as it turned out. Here's the list, with FREE sneak preview.

The story so far: article number followed by issue number—NB the latter aren’t always sequential

01/330
Gordon Melton (ed) Encyclopedia of Occultism and Parapsychology —available, probably illegally, free online as PDF

02/33
Partwork (published in UK, 13 volumes)
The Unexplained: Mysteries of Mind, Space & Time, Orbis 1980–3
Continuity set (published in USA, 26 volumes)
Mysteries of Mind, Space & Time, H S Stuttman 1992

03/332
J Nathan Couch, Goatman: Flesh or Folklore?, CreateSpace 2014

Michel Meurger (with Claude Gagnon), Lake Monster Traditions, Fortean Tomes 1988

04/333
Flying Saucers Have Landed George Adamski & Desmond Leslie
T. Werner Laurie 1953

A Critical Appraisal of George Adamski: the man who spoke to the space brothers Marc Hallet with Richard W. Heiden
Internet 2015 (various formats; free to download):
https://archive.org/details/AcriticalAppraisalOfGeorgeAdamskiTheManWhoSpokeToTheSpaceBrothers

05/334
The Trickster and the Paranormal George P Hansen Xlibris 2001

06/335
Alan Gauld, Mediumship and Survival: A century of investigations, Heinneman 1982 Also online at: www.esalen.org/ctr-archive/mediumship.html

07/336
William James, The Will to Believe, and other essays in popular philosophy, Longmans, Green & Co, 1897
Still in print in various paperback formats
Free download from www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/26659

08/337
Odell Shepard, The Lore of the Unicorn, Houghton Mifflin (Boston), George Allen & Unwin (London), 1930; reprinted by Avenel Books (New York), 1982
Also available as a free download (PDF) from www.globalgrey.co.uk, but cheapskates beware: the text neither reproduces nor transliterates Greek terms and quotations, and omits Shepard’s copious notes and illustrations.
Chris Lavers, The Natural History of Unicorns, Granta (London), 2009

09/338
Phlegon of Tralles’ Book of Marvels, translation and commentary by William Hansen, University of Exeter Press 1996
Julius Obsequens, Liber Prodigiorum, parallel text with translation by Dr Alex Nice, http://www.alexthenice.com/obsequens/text/text.html
Also available in print in a parallel Latin/English text: Livy, History of Rome Vol XIV, trans. Alfred C Schlesinger, Loeb Classical Library No 404, Harvard University Press 1959
Rachel Hardiman’s website: https://sites.google.com/site/paradoxography/about-paradoxography#TOC-Callimachus-

10/341
The Field Guide: The art, history and philosophy of crop circle making, Rob Irving and John Lundberg, Strange Attractor Press 2006.

11/342
Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh and Henry Lincoln, Holy Blood, Holy Grail, Jonathan Cape 1982; revised edition, Arrow Books 1996

12/344
Karl T Pflock, Roswell: Inconvenient Facts and the Will to Believe, Prometheus Books 2001

13/345
Charles Mackay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1852/1932. Also available in other reprints (see Amazon), and online from Project Gutenberg, and (PDF) from http://www.classicly.com/books/memo...-the-madness-of-crowds/download_in_format/pdf

14/346
John Keel, The Mothman Prophecies, New English Library (Hodder & Stoughton), revised edition 2002

15/347
Gareth Williams, A Monstrous Commotion: The mysteries of Loch Ness, Orion Books 2015

16/348
Hilary Evans, Visions • Apparitions • Alien Visitors: A comparative study of the entity enigma, Aquarian Press 1984; Gods • Spirits • Cosmic Guardians:A comparative study of the encounter experience, Aquarian Press 1987

17/349
Alfred Watkins, Early British Trackways, Watkins Meter Co (Hereford); Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent & Co (London), 1922; also available from www.ancient-wisdom.com/alfredwatkinslecture.pdf
—— The Old Straight Track, Methuen 1925 (Abacus 1974, with introduction by John Michell dated 1970)

18/350
Richard Sharpe Shaver, I Remember Lemuria!, Venture Press 1948;
available online at www.globalgreyebooks.com/Pages/i-remember-lemuria.html

19/351
David J Hufford, The Terror that Comes in the Night: an experience-based study of supernatural assault traditions, University of Pennsylvania Press 1982

20/352
Robert Temple, The Sirius Mystery: new scientific evidence of alien contact 5000 years ago, Century Random House 1998

21/353
Rupert Sheldrake, A New Science of Life: The Hypothesis of Formative Causation (third, revised edition), Icon Books 2009

22/354
Kurt Seligmann, Magic, Supernaturalism and Religion, Allen Lane The Penguin Press 1971 (first published as The History of Magic, Pantheon Books 1948)

23/355
Russell Miller, Bare-Faced Messiah, Silvertail Books 2015
(first published by Michael Joseph/Penguin Books 1987)

24/356
Jan Harold Brunvand, Too Good to be True: The colossal book of urban legends, WW Norton & Co 2001; revised edition 2014

25/357
Richard Hofstadter, The Paranoid Style in American Politics and Other Essays, Alfred Knopf 1965; reprinted, Vintage Books, 2008
Michael Barkun, A Culture of Conspiracy: Apocalyptic visions in contemporary America, University of California Press 2003; second edition, 2013

26/359
Rob Brotherton, Suspicious Minds: Why we believe conspiracy theories, Bloomsbury Sigma, 2015

27/360
Shaun Greenhalgh, A Forger’s Tale: Confessions of the Bolton forger, with introduction by Waldemar Januszczak, Allen & Unwin 2017

28/362
Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke, The Occult Roots of Nazism: Secret Aryan cults and their influence on Nazi ideology, (Aquarian Press 1985) Taurus Parke 2004
Eric Kurlander, Hitler’s Monsters: A supernatural history of the Third Reich, Yale University Press 2017

Coming soon: Allen Hynek, The UFO Experience, and The UFO Report

Last edited:
You'd think, wouldn't you? that after eight or nine weeks Mr Ombrophobia would have had the good grace to say thankyou for the service provided (and so quickly too)? Or am I missing something here?

They're probably still sorting out the aftermath of the flooded flat, or maybe they've just lost interest in the FTMB.

They're probably still sorting out the aftermath of the flooded flat, or maybe they've just lost interest in the FTMB.

Possibly. But (assuming no loss of interest), someone who makes a request like that in the midst of being flooded might also find the time for some good manners, don't you think? (And yes I am feeling grumpy.)

It is a bit inexplicable, yes. But we've had a lot of this over the years.
People create an account, make a comment and then never come back.

People create an account, make a comment and then never come back.
They didn't make a comment though, they asked for someone to go to a lot of trouble then never thanked them.

I am sure the information will come in useful for other people though THA. :hoff:

There two choices for cryptozoology are utter, utter tripe neither really being about cryptozoology. I would have picked On The Track Of Unknown Animals by Bernard Heuvelmans and the two volume Mysterious Creatures: A Guide to Cryptozoology by George M Eberhart.

I signed up onto this forum just to register my own thanks at the creation of this list. As someone with an avid interest, yet with little time or money, your hard work in compiling this list is greatly appreciated THA. :)

Back