• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Buildings Converted Into Houses Or Other Residences

The old municipal abattoir in Mayenne (my wife's home town) was a hideously grim building.
I can recall going past it back in the 80s after its decommission and suppressing a shudder at the cavernous dark unglazed openings each with a rusted gate in place to deter trespassers.

View attachment 59836

Now, its prime riverside location has been redeveloped, using the shell of the old building, into luxury flats.

View attachment 59837

Not sure I'd fancy living there, but I haven't heard any accounts of residents reporting phantom animal noises though.
I’m not sure I like what they’ve done with the outside. I’d haunt the place just for that.

Here in Melbourne we have Kew Asylum (aka Willsmere) which was built on the outskirts of town in the 1860's. It was a truly beautiful building. A hundred years later it was surrounded by expensive upmarket suburbs, so the grounds were sold off and developed for housing, and the main building converted into expensive apartments.

View attachment 59728View attachment 59729

It's good to see these old buildings preserved rather than destroyed.

Anyway, there are lots of vague rumours that the main building is haunted, and that the occupants of the new flats report some strange experiences. There isn't a lot on the Internet, but I found a couple of references:

"People who live and stay there report doors opening on their own, tapping on the walls, distant screams, running footsteps and banging, and some have reported waking up to find a figure at the foot of their bed."

No first hand accounts, though.

Hasn't Pentridge Prison (or parts of it) been turned into upmarket housing? I seem to recall driving past it when in Melbourne a few years back and someone mentioning this had happened/was happening.

Edit: I've just answered my own question:

https://www.aspect-studios.com/news...ormer-pentridge-prison-with-new-public-piazza

Back in the 90s we almost bought a flat in the old match factory in Bow. I'd spent a couple of years going past it in the train and liking the look of the high-ceilinged units - a real "Ghost" vibe. You do wonder how the tortured spirits of all the match girls with their phossy jaws reacted to that re-development.

Photo no.5 Now that's a door.
I had to go look for the door in question. While perusing the site, some automatic pop up video thing happened that prevented me from going where I chose, so I never verified which door it was, but I starting to wonder if the real estate agents were becoming, first, excited at how much web traffic was visiting the listing, and then alarmed at how much web traffic there was; and then I thought "what a tacky interior" and then I thought "what a great big gigantic bathroom that is," and I have to say, if agoraphobia is one's response to that bathroom, well, it just shows how sane that person is, yes indeed, MorningAngel!

And the neighbours are dead quiet,
It's in the cemetery and the neighbors are dead quiet.
Yep.
:D

I had to go look for the door in question. While perusing the site, some automatic pop up video thing happened that prevented me from going where I chose, so I never verified which door it was, but I starting to wonder if the real estate agents were becoming, first, excited at how much web traffic was visiting the listing, and then alarmed at how much web traffic there was; and then I thought "what a tacky interior" and then I thought "what a great big gigantic bathroom that is," and I have to say, if agoraphobia is one's response to that bathroom, well, it just shows how sane that person is, yes indeed, MorningAngel!

It's in the cemetery and the neighbors are dead quiet.
Yep.
:D
The bathroom scares me. Too big as well.

Back