• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Burglaries & Other Crimes Facilitated By Toxic Gas Or Anaesthetic Agents

CO binds irreversably with haemoglobin though, and doesn't leave the body until the red blood cells are broken down, so it would be pretty easy to detect... and if they lived, they'd be well ill for quite a while...

i'm with whoever it was suggested this is some sort of cover up for embarrassing circumstances... or perhaps just plain pickled campers who slept through a robbery...

Some of the comments say that the police never catch or charge anybody, probably because it never happens.

If they've been gassed it's carbon monoxide from their own heating system and the burglars (if they existed) did them a favour by letting the gas out...
Or they were pssised out of their minds and the burglars walked in.

or it's an insurance scam....

There is another dubious sub section.

t has escalated since Trinny Woodall and Susannah Constantine fell victim to a gang as they slept in a villa in Cannes in 2002.

The thieves are understood to have broken in and smothered the What Not To Wear presenters with chloroform-soaked pads before stealing their jewellery and cash.

I once attended an Anaesthetics lecture and the Professor said if he could ever find out what the bad guys in the movies use to knock out their victims he would be in line for the next Nobel prize in Medicine.

Wasn't 'twilight sleep', the early form of childbirth anaesthesia, made up of a few drops of chloroform on a cloth? A bit hit-and-miss, and quite dangerous.

From the Daily Mail story
"..I had a banging headache and sore throat."

So now I know whats been happening every Saturday night for the last 20 years.

And they've been leaving half eaten kebabs on the sofa, leaving all the lights on, sometimes even taking my house keys and leaving them in the door and taking money out of my wallet!.

I'd like to say that they sometimes smuggled an ugly woman into my bed but that would be untrue.

They only smuggled good looking women into my bed.

It’s quite hard to chloroform someone, not at all like the movies.

About twenty years ago, there was apparently a spate of robberies on the continent, on overnight sleepers with the same suggestion that chloroform or a sleeping gas was sprayed into the sleeping compartment. At the time I wondered if something like barbiturates was dropped into the victims drink, or they’d just had too much to drink.

As for injecting someone & they pass out, intramuscular injections take ages to work ten to fifteen minutes plus, intravenous ten seconds or so, but you have to get the dose to body weight right and get the vein, or it doesn’t work or, you kill someone. Given the prevalence of these accounts I would have expected a few dead victims along the way.

Finally, why go to the bother of gassing &/or drugging people, why not go in silently as the old time cat burglars did, or blindfold them & tie them up?

Similarly, the use of anaesthetic gas is a bit hit and miss, look at what heppened in that moscow theatre seige.
I've a fair bit of experience with nitrous oxide and I really don't think that emptying a tank from a dentist's into an apartment through an open patio window or letterbox is going to do the trick at all.

This story crops up occasionally and then disappears without a trace for a while. It's drivel, I reckon too.

The other problem with some of these gases is that they can be quite explosive. A pilot light could set off an explosion.
Nitrous Oxide itself is not flammable, but it could make a gas fire burn that much more powerfully...

This story crops up occasionally and then disappears without a trace for a while. It's drivel, I reckon too.

And here comes the next spoonfull of drivel :lol:

Italian thieves use sleeping gas on Costa Smeralda

Italian thieves have used sleeping gas to carry out night-time robberies in the fashionable Sardinian resort of Porto Cervo.

The thieves stole from at least two villas after drugging their occupants, Ansa news agency reported.

It said they made off with cash and jewels worth more than 315,000 euros (£278,000).

The Unione Sarda, a local paper, put the value of the booty from just one villa at 600,000 euros.

It said the villa was being rented by a wealthy Milanese entrepreneur and his family.

None of them heard a sound as the thieves made their way around the house, the report said.

Porto Cervo is on Sardinia's north-eastern Costa Smeralda, and has long been a favourite holiday spot for the super-rich.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14734741

I had put this in Strange Crimes.

Sleeping gas used on burglary victims
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/wor ... 38000.html
Wed, Aug 31, 2011

ROME – Police in the billionaires’ retreat of Porto Cervo on Sardinia’s Costa Smeralda believe thieves who made off with €315,000 in cash and jewels used sleeping gas on their victims to ensure they were not disturbed during the break-in.

Similar robberies have been reported this summer in France and Spain.

The burglaries in Porto Cervo, which took place last week, were only disclosed by police yesterday.

The thieves sneaked into the rented holiday villa of a Milanese pharmaceuticals tycoon and left with a haul worth about €300,000.

The businessman’s 42-year-old wife, her mother and their daughter were all in the house, along with a servant, but no one heard the burglars, even though they took the windows off their hinges to get in.

At the villa next door, two holidaymakers found a watch and €15,000 in cash missing. They told police they had woken up feeling weak and dazed.

In July, “gassing gangs” were reported to be targeting caravans and camper vans in France. – ( Guardian service)

Hot on the heels of the article in the current FT:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33814823
Anaesthetic gas may have been used against Jenson Button and his wife Jessica during a burglary in France, the Formula 1 driver's spokesman says.

Two men, who stole jewellery including Jessica's engagement ring, may have pumped gas through the air conditioning before Monday's break-in, he said.

The spokesman said they were unharmed but "unsurprisingly shaken".

But medical experts said they were sceptical that burglars had used gas in the raid on the villa in Saint Tropez.

The Sun newspaper reported that valuables worth £300,000 were stolen.

The couple, who married in December, were staying with friends in a rented villa at the time of the burglary.

Button's spokesman said: "Two men broke into the property whilst they all slept and stole a number of items of jewellery including, most upsettingly, Jessica's engagement ring.

"The police have indicated that this has become a growing problem in the region with perpetrators going so far as to gas their proposed victims through the air conditioning units before breaking in."

An operations director for SRX, a home security firm based near Mr Button's home, said the possibility of burglars using gas did not surprise him "at all" and he had received requests to install measures to prevent such attacks.

But the Royal College of Anaesthetists said although it could not rule out that "some sort of agent" had been used, it was "highly unlikely" the group had been rendered unconscious by anaesthetic gas.

This, a spokesman said, would require "massive amounts of gas".

He added: "When you combine that with the fact that these gases are expensive and difficult to get hold of, we are very sceptical."

There was a guy on Live Line, RTE Radio One this pm. Same thing happened to him in France a few months ago.

What's the difference between being gassed by the mad gasser and sleeping a deep sleep? Is there one? Plenty of people have been burgled while asleep, and no gas was necessary.

Sounds like arse-covering by the victims for their embarrassment about sleeping through the theft.

Surely you'd need a huge receptacle to carry enough gas to pump into someone's house, enough to ensure they didn't wake up? And wouldn't your victim hear the articulated lorry backing up to the keyhole?

Sorry, I didn't doubt you, and he may believe that he was gassed. But the truth is that any anaesthetic that could be used would be
a/ fantastically expensive and
b/ fatal in about 20% of cases, if the Moscow Siege incident is anything to go by.

Surely you'd need a huge receptacle to carry enough gas to pump into someone's house, enough to ensure they didn't wake up? And wouldn't your victim hear the articulated lorry backing up to the keyhole?
Not necessarily.
If a small window was open in the bedroom, they could just pump it in through a long pipe.
The chemicals used could be liquid or a liquid/powder mix, that would generate a large volume of gas very quickly.
Halon, a chemical fire retardant, used to be used in mainframe computer rooms (I remember this from my mainframe operator days). Perhaps they have an old halon system?
They'd need to wheel it about, but...no sweat really.

You got your thread title wrong.
It should read 'An aesthetic burglar suspected in Jenson Button case'.

Aesthetics (/ɛsˈθɛtɪks/; also spelled æsthetics and esthetics also known in Greek as Αισθητική, or "Aisthētiké") is a branch of philosophy dealing with the nature of art, beauty, and taste, with the creation and appreciation of beauty.

It's from France so therefore, I'm sure I'm correct.

I always thought the name reeked of nominative determinism, though I had a suspicion it was a nom-de-guerre. I had never bothered to look it up until today: it seems it was Jensen originally but he changed it to avoid association with the marque! :confused:

Last edited:
I always thought the name reeked of nominative determinism, though I had a suspicion it was a nom-de-guerre. I had never bothered to look it up until today: it seems it was Jensen originally but he changed it to avoid association with the marque! :confused:
What about the 'Button' bit?

Back